Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photographic challenges

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
    A real photographic challenge would be to ensure freedom for photographers to take pictures whenever and wherever they are out and about. Many years ago I could take my then Pentax MX & ME Super and walk around Westminister, the Houses of Parliament, Westminister Abbey and so on and take photographs at leisure. However, now you dare not take out a camera in these places as you stand to be arrested. Is is possible for bona fide photographers to carry some sort of card or the other to show that you are only an enthusiastic photographer, if questioned? Life is short and one's freedom is being curtailed in this country. Can all photographers make a massive call for support for their enjoyable hobby?
    Nathaniel; there's been plenty of talk about this - even here on the forum...

Just Google 'photographer's rights' for a string of hits; and more helpfully, you'll find a handy-dandy print-out that you can just keep in your bag & re-produce if ever neccessary! There's a fairly comprehensive PDF here...

I know it's a potential pain, but it's not (generally) really worth worrying about... Have you ever been stopped or challenged? I haven't... Indeed, even the European Court has now ruled that these 'stop & searches' (without justifiable grounds for suspicion) are illegal!

And now back to the subject at hand...
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks CF. Always a great help. Have printed out the blurb. Din't iknow that it even existed. No, I have not yet been stopped and searched mainly because I don't put myself in positions or places which could cause problems.

Yes, to the idea
      Last edited by Nathaniel; 20-02-2010, 17:26.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I like the pets theme. I'd happily shoot next door's cat. Do the rules limit me to using a camera? ;-)
        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I don't own a pet, and I don't socialize with anyone that does, I'd have to look for wild animals or something!!!
          EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Comment

Being a recent newcomer to this site, who hasn't been brave enough to upload anything yet or commnt on much I would take part in this challenge.

How about a month, a week is a bit too short,
            Just to add my penny worth I think a month would be too long a time - a week would make you get on and think about it and do it.

Like what Millie has suggested.
            Last edited by karen; 20-02-2010, 18:56.

Comment

Why is it that it takes a woman to organise the men? Good idea Millie! Lets get torn to pieces in the name of progress for those who are new comers to the forum. Personnally March is not a good month for me with all year end accounts etc to look into. However it doesn't matter as I can tag along at some point in time. I also think that a week is too short and would suggest a month. Anyway, let the majority "win"!
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

My two cents;

1. A week is too short to attract maximum participation; a month is too long, if voting time is to be added thereafter... How about a cycle which;
                - starts on the 1st
                - runs for 3 weeks 1-21 incl.
                - voting to take place in week 4, ending 28th
                - winner notified; has 2/3 days to come up with and post next challenge...
                - next cycle to start on the 1st etc.

2. Pets; doesn't matter if you have one or not! (I don't). There will always be participants who don't have something or another, or can't do something or another; Isn't that the point of a 'challenge' to see how we can overcome such obstacles, and make us think 'outside the box'?

3. Millie; how would you see a 'Poll' running? Does the forum support Polls? I don't think I've seen one on here yet! How would we ensure 'fair play' if all voting is anonymous?
                Last edited by Canon-Fodder!; 21-02-2010, 16:34.
                Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
                  3. Millie; how would you see a 'Poll' running? Does the forum support Polls? I don't think I've seen one on here yet!
                  Scrub that bit - just seen one! ...the Forum does support polls...

Another question... One or multiple entries allowed per entrant?
                  Last edited by Canon-Fodder!; 21-02-2010, 15:22.

Comment

Does the picture need some size restraint?
                    otherwise it will take a week to load and might depending on entrant numbers cause problems for the servers etc.
                    shoot the Canon

http://www.twpc.org.uk/

Comment

How about loading them onto Flickr? Max 1024 in any dimension?
                      ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                        How about loading them onto Flickr? Max 1024 in any dimension?
                        Agree; any hosting service (IMO) is preferable to upload to the Forum... Certainly a max of 1024 is more than adequate...

Comment

Although I couldn't promise to entering every round, I'd certainly be interested in a Forum challenge. C-F's suggestion of a 4 week cycle sounds good to me, and results decided by poll would seen the obvious way of deciding the 'victor'. One comment about image size though - would 800 pixels would a better max size as 1024 would mean some scrolling around the screen to view the entire image?

Nigel
                          My Flickr photostream

Comment

Does it need to be competitive? Just a thought. Would be nice to have something to concentrate the mind and to compare with other's interpretation, but I think I'd be comfortable with it not being an attempt to win anything. If there were some way of ranking photos out of 5 so the submitter got an idea of how much everyone else liked their picture - possibly without anyone else knowing what the score was?

In other words, I'd like a reason to take photos, something to challenge my thought process and some casual feedback without trying to win anything.
                            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

mis read thread
                              Last edited by hughbie; 21-02-2010, 19:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
                                In other words, I'd like a reason to take photos, something to challenge my thought process and some casual feedback without trying to win anything.
                                I like that idea
                                ef-r

Comment

Working...
                                X