Photographic challenges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photographic challenges

It could be that the winner of the first poll, sets the subject for the second, and so on.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Will this detract from the EOS quarterly competions? Will it put off newcomers if the entries are from "experts" in the field of digital photography?
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

C'mon Nathaniel - you and I will show them
        ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
          Will this detract from the EOS quarterly competions?
          No; two different things...

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
          Will it put off newcomers if the entries are from "experts" in the field of digital photography?
          Why should it? Who's to say who is an 'expert', and why can't a 'newcomer' generate an entry... the proposal is for a 'challenge'; not a 'competition'! Idea (AFAIK) is to make us think about what we're doing, and present an interpretation of an idea... Conceivably, a 'winning' entry, need not be technically the best!
          I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

I am definitely up for this - I am fully committed (and my wife says I should be) how ever I have to get the others thinking the same

Trimmed and sharpened in DPP, straightened in PSP. No other changes

50d, handheld 1/4, f6.7, iso 1600

Last edited by briansquibb; 22-02-2010, 11:01.
            ef-r

Comment

I don't wish to be a wet blanket. I am all for it. However,to err on the cautious side, one should be aware that the quality and the "winner" idea does not put off entrants who may not be up to the standard of some of the brilliant photocatchers & photographs I have seen exhibited. Of course they are an inspiration,personally,to me to aspire to but then.....
              Anyway, without giving it a "go" one will never know. Perhaps we can start off with Brian's "cat's tail" shown at #35. Brought a wide grin to my face.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post

Why should it? Who's to say who is an 'expert', and why can't a 'newcomer' generate an entry... the proposal is for a 'challenge'; not a 'competition'! Idea (AFAIK) is to make us think about what we're doing, and present an interpretation of an idea... Conceivably, a 'winning' entry, need not be technically the best!
                Challenge is the key word here. I think that is Millie's main idea. I don't think a competition entered her mind! As far as I can understand, a theme is set, and then we try to shoot that theme. Then we can vote on the in the manner that was suggested.
                And again, it's in the interpretation of the theme, And anyone can do this, even with entry level cameras.

Another query, should we have a separate section for this - as in could the moderators put in a section like photographic challenges ?

Can we try to set this up by the end of the week, as March is next week! (possible?)

I also think we should set a limit per person. Maybe one entry per person. This would then make us think more carefully about what we display, AND, would also make voting easier and less time consuming. If there are too many entries each, I would give up in voting. To vote on ONE image makes everything easier and quicker. If you can't portray a theme in one image...
                Last edited by eeyore; 23-02-2010, 15:18. Reason: spelling!
                Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

I give up on the format and rules etc etc.
                  Coming up with rules that would please everyone wouldn’t be possible, that's for sure.

Not about winning, just taking part, just another reason to get your camera out, and have a bit of fun.

Brain, I’m puzzled why you’d post that image here !!

Millie

Comment

Pet cat, challenge - fun
                    ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                      Pet cat, challenge - fun
                      One of your best, keep up the good work !

Comment

ef-r

Comment

Millie,
                          Sorry that your attempt to help us all stretch a bit seems doomed. The idea works very well elsewhere.

Had you suggested the categories to be kittens, babies and robins then I am sure you would have had loads of support.

I used to enjoy this forum ( and its previous incarnation ) and have greatly appreciated peoples' constructive and generous help and advice. Ho, hum.

Hughbie

Comment

I am fully behind the challenge concept.
                            ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                              I give up on the format and rules etc etc.
                              Coming up with rules that would please everyone wouldn’t be possible, that's for sure.

Not about winning, just taking part, just another reason to get your camera out, and have a bit of fun.

Brain, I’m puzzled why you’d post that image here !!

Millie
                              Hi! Millie, don't give up yet.I thought I'd suggest a simple one which might appeal to most. What about one entry per person of the most humourous/comical photograph you took. some thing that would make us laugh, make us smile and be happy. A good example is Brian's cat's tail. Whether it was a mistake or not, it did lighten up my day, when I looked for light relief. I am sure there are lots of us with a good sense of humour-not only Brian!!!!!!! Why not take up this challenege Millie?

Comment

Yes – I did see the humour in Brian cats tail picture, I believe Brain is a good guy.

Nathaniel,
                                I nominate you to choose a theme and be the judge of the first round.
                                I’d suggest one picture per person – no old pictures, they must be taken for the challenge.

The person whose image you choose, sets the next theme??

Could the admins could give us a section for this, or help to set this up ?
                                Millie

Comment

Working...
                                X