Alamy - Getting started and what to expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alamy - Getting started and what to expect

Thanks Paul. I have actually joined Alamy got my pics past QC and have got some for sale already. I still have several more to send but am struggling with my "duplicate" photos problems, mentioned under "External drive"! I am slowly clearing up the duplicates via Duplicate sweeper, having paid a reasonable fee of approx £15.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I submitted 4 images back in June and they were all rejected so haven't bothered since but decided following this thread to give it another shot yesterday and...all 4 were accepted - don't really understand as in my opinion the rejected shots were just as good quality than those accepted yesterday. Anyway now I've got started, will continue to upload and wait for the money to roll in

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Stan, if I was to advise anyone to upload their work to Alamy it would be you. Your wildlife work is of a standard that Alamy's clients are really itching for. FLPA is a wildlife specific stock site. They have lately supplied all calendar companies with images. Last year it was Alamy.

The only thing about FLPA is that they require that you send them a DVD of your images. A system that's a little out of date by todays standards.

Good going :)

To date, from Nov 2012 when I joined, I've added 1016 images, sold 5, have had 13,599 views and 42 zooms. Apparently I've done well in my first year.

Who knows :)
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Stan, if I was to advise anyone to upload their work to Alamy it would be you
          Cheers Paul

I have uploaded a few more and awaiting quality control on those. Reading some of the blurb it would appear that if you send up a batch and their QC rejects just one image then the whole lot are automatically rejected - do I understand that right ?

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post

To date, from Nov 2012 when I joined, I've added 1016 images, sold 5, have had 13,599 views and 42 zooms. Apparently I've done well in my first year.

Well done Paul .......
            [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              Cheers Paul

I have uploaded a few more and awaiting quality control on those. Reading some of the blurb it would appear that if you send up a batch and their QC rejects just one image then the whole lot are automatically rejected - do I understand that right ?

Stan
              This happened to me when I started to get too cocky. I uploaded a really underexposed picture of my toaster with toast in it. I thought it would be ok. I then went about my normal routine. I had 13 batches of separate uploads sitting waiting. QC failed the toaster pic and then the 13 batches too. This is normal practice for Alamy and can be really frustrating.

It is very very important to follow the QC policies to the letter as contributors have been noticing that they are getting more QC fails. We don't know if they are being a bit more strict than usual or not.

I had a string of fails after that, and I had to totally re-evaluate my post processing and shooting. I just got lazy that's all.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by wayne2418 View Post
                Well done Paul .......
                Cheers Wayne, most sale have been sold via the News feed :)
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

Cheers Paul

That's useful to know - I will just stick to uploading two or three at a time and wait for QC before uploading more

Stan

flickr

Comment

First of all I must personally thank Paul for giving such details about Alamy, following a query from SK in Madras (S.India).I am only a novice in all this and I only joined Alamy more for the fun element- to give some purpose to my "enforced retired life"! That being said, I thought I might add this for the benefit of future members who wish to join this agency. First of all one has to look at each and every image before submission,magnified to 100% or over to show up any flaws such as softness, noise, out of focus, camera shake etc. I was amazed at seeing "noise" & other defects showing up in pics where the image looked fine at smaller sizes. Secondly, I rejected all photos where I had increased Noise via ISO as this showed up when the image is magnified. Thirdly I considered the cropped images and very often these were smaller than the recommended sizes and so I left these out as well. Finally, I selected only those photos that had minimal PSE done to them i.e ones that were almost correct IN CAMERA and jpeg images only. Once I satisfied myself on these counts, I submitted my pics and they were accepted via the agency's QC. I might even dare to say that pics taken in RAW might not stand as a great chance of being accepted compared to those taken as Jpeg's- mainly because of the post processing done to the images. I may be completely wrong in this assumption.

I hope this is of some help to members from a sheer novice photographer like me.

I would like to add that it is better to submit pictures in small batches so that you don't have to re-submit the whole batch if one photo fails their QC.
                    Last edited by Nathaniel; 21-11-2013, 11:48.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Well Paul what an interesting post it looks as if 'Alamy's storage capcity will have to be increased just from this post alone. Many thanks for the effort. I have never been interested in attempting to sell anything before I would not want to spoil my interest and hobby etc. However a comment or two you made have changed a lot of minds including mine.Even if only helps buy a battery or even a lens one day!!!! Its not like giving up your day job!!!!
                      Cheers mate
                      Alun

Comment

Originally posted by Alun100 View Post
                        Well Paul what an interesting post it looks as if 'Alamy's storage capcity will have to be increased just from this post alone. Many thanks for the effort. I have never been interested in attempting to sell anything before I would not want to spoil my interest and hobby etc. However a comment or two you made have changed a lot of minds including mine.Even if only helps buy a battery or even a lens one day!!!! Its not like giving up your day job!!!!
                        Cheers mate
                        That's the fundamental reason I started on it. To put my earned money back into the hobby.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Without being a bore I thought I might just add the bit- to treat this more as a bit of "fun" rather than with "great expectations". Like Alun100, I did not want to spoil my hobby with a pecuniary attachment to it but I have been offered payment for my other photos which I had declined and where I had accepted payment, it went towards a charitable cause of mine. However, after reading Paul's magnificient effort about alamy I just thought to myself "why not" ? esp when payment comes from a commercial source. However, I would keep the "fun" element in the forefront!

Comment

That's useful to know - I will just stick to uploading two or three at a time and wait for QC before uploading more
                            Just a follow up to my previous comment - its now 2 days since I uploaded the first three shots following acceptance of the original four and I am still waiting for QC to accept or decline. Strange in that it took just a matter of hours to approve the original selection.

Stan

flickr

Comment

Stan, there is no fixed sort of time limit for the pics to pass QC. Infact I had uploaded 4 tranches of 15 to 20 pics and they all passed QC after about a week. I was lucky there as had one failed the QC all the others in that tranche would have been rejected. Having said that I would hereafter err on the cautious side and only send in 4-5 at a time. It must also be borne in mind that once the photos pass their QC you have to keyword,describe,etc etc each and every photo, which takes a bit of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                                Just a follow up to my previous comment - its now 2 days since I uploaded the first three shots following acceptance of the original four and I am still waiting for QC to accept or decline. Strange in that it took just a matter of hours to approve the original selection.

Stan
                                Stan, my initial images were accepted within a couple of hours. My next set took a couple of days. Perhaps they're keener with new joiners?
                                Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                                http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                                https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Working...
                                X