G11 or S90?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G11 or S90?

I am looking to replace my aging Olympus compact with either of the above mentioned cameras.
    My main camera is a EOS 30D with 24-105, 60 macro and 100-400 Canon lenses.
    My eight year old son regularly uses the Olympus and is geting more interested in photography and on occassions I have supervised his use of the 30D, which he has done well with, but he struggles with the weight and is nervous when using it.
    I am keen to nurture this interest and am bearing this in mind when making my choice. The Olypmus is a basic point and shoot.
    My instinct is to go for the G11 as it will help my son learn the settings of a DSLR with out the weight or bulk and provide me with a good back up for my 30D.
    Are there any major perfomance differances or what would your advice be?
    Thanks in advance

Mark

Re: G11 or S90?

I have a G10 and an S80 and can honestly say go for the G11.

My main body is a 1DmkIII and have 2 1DmkN's and numerous lenses. But as an all round carry about and holiday camera I use the G10. The S80 is good but not a patch on the G10.

Hope that helps.
    rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

The G11 is a no brainer.

My only criticism is that compared to other cameras in it's class, it is a little overweight. But, put in context that I normally lug 1 series cameras about, that's a very minor criticism.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Another vote for the G-series... (I have a G9 as my 'back-up' / wife's use...)

Only real 'downside' is the same with all 'point & shoot' units (even advanced), and that's shutter-lag... provided you can cope with that; off you go...
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

G9 for me too. Use it when I travel on business and it has served me well.

jhdee
          jhdee

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
            Another vote for the G-series... (I have a G9 as my 'back-up' / wife's use...)

Only real 'downside' is the same with all 'point & shoot' units (even advanced), and that's shutter-lag... provided you can cope with that; off you go...
            Mark

Just to confirm that there is shutter lag on both my G10 & S80 so I'm assuming they won't have sorted that out yet for the G11 or S90.

Just a note to back up Colin's statement about weight. It is heavy'ish when compared to others and you will notice it in your pocket, but it is noticeably lighter than the 1D series.

Go for the G11 - you won't regret it. My G10 is brilliant and I take it every where, well almost every where.
            rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Thanks to you all for taking the time to offer your advice, it will be invaluable. Had a quick play withthe G11 in a shop today and found it easy to use, so I think I know the way I will be going.

Again thanks for all the helpful comments.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmc View Post
                Thanks to you all for taking the time to offer your advice, it will be invaluable. Had a quick play withthe G11 in a shop today and found it easy to use, so I think I know the way I will be going.

Again thanks for all the helpful comments.
                Let us know which one you choose and how you find it.

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice. I am now the proud owner of a shiny new G11.

Having taken a few quick shots at the weekend I have now downloaded them to my computer but cannot open them with Photoshop CS3 it says they are an unkown file format. All images are RAW files.

Can anyone tell me the solution to this problem?

Comment

There are generally downloads from Adobe, but I suspect that CS3 is no longer supported and the download is for CS4.

But no worries, you will have a copy of DPP with the G11. Install that on your computer as your RAW converter, tweak as necessary and output as Jpegs (or Tiff's) and CS3 will recognise them.

Hope that helps.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

My G10 replaced a Nikon Coolpix 8700 (which I still have) as the camera I carry when rambling (I'm resisting buying a 65L Bergen to carry my rambling gear plus DSLR and 24-105L). The Nikon was just tooooooo slow in RAW mode (it would take 15-20seconds to write a RAW image ... and during the first half of that period you can't even take another 'snap'). So a G10 was purchased (the wider lens [over the G9] made the deal). Okay high ISO performance isn't the best in class ... but otherwise a very good camera. Just a pity Canon don't fit a GPS chip to the G series ;-)

Comment

I also have a G9 which is great but a little too big to put in my pocket or keep in the door pocket in the car, Having seen some results from a friends PowerShot SX210 IS I am considering getting one of these little P&S cameras to carry around with me. It does not shoot in raw but I feel that I could live with JPG. My main concern is the limit of 1 sec max shutter and the relative long delay ~1/3 second from pressing the shutter to taking the photo.

What do people think about this Canon model?

Comment

I use the G9 and I think the shutter lag is far better than the early digital compacts. I hav ethought about a G11 for the faster, wider lens as I find the G9 a little limiting comapred to the older G series (which had f2 lenses, sometimes).
                          I find the picture quality to be very good.

Gary
                          www.garywhite-photography.com
                          Gary White, MPhil
                          Travel Photographer

Comment

I recently looked long and hard at both the G11 and the S90 as I needed to replace my old faithfull S70 which I dropped and it then got run over before I could rescue it.

I found the S90 too small and fiddly so eventually decided upon a new G11 which I have now had for a few weeks.

I think I made the right decision and am very pleased with it.

Next I need to replace my old 10D with a new 7D.

Lottery win ?????

John

Comment

Originally posted by johnatj View Post
                              Next I need to replace my old 10D with a new 7D.

Lottery win ?????

John
                              Another option would be to mug Stan .................... careful though, he can be feisty!

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X