Map Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map Utility

Has anyone had this CANON programme failing on them in last two days?
    Yesterday, failed as it actually said that CANON could not use GOOGLE maps!!
    Today, still no maps but gave message "Stack overflow at line; 10"!!
    I have a feeling that the problem maybe my PC, so would welcome news that it works fine for some of you.
    Many thanks in advance
    Regards
    Myrddin Jones

Re: Map Utility

No problems with it here.
    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Thanks Nick, that is good enough proof for me that the problem is on my PC. I do seem tobe having a few such problems, generally loosing ome module or other - this has happened three times in last 6 months.
      Thanks again
      Myrddin

Comment

Decided to uninstall, but failed to as Canon (or Windows) have given it another name - "Map Utility" not listed. Tried to download a new version 1.4 (well advertised on Internet) but failed. Then loaded from my original CD (contains Ver 1.3) but that was not listed amongst the choices, so carried on with doing Image Browser and ended up with a working Map Utility!! But it has a bug in it which I will try and discuss with Canon later. I also discovered that now my Map Utility is Ver 1.5.0.5 - where did that come from? All in all my worse CANON experience ever. If anyone is interested in the bug, please ask me.
        Regards
        Myrddin

Comment

A Canon Map Utility? I hadn't even heard of this until you mentioned it.
          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Has the same issue with my map utility - started Nov 20/13 (worked on Nov 19). Tried a re-install from downloaded software with no result so will try a re-install off my disc (hopefully I can find it). Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Hi Myrddin
              Me too. Map utility working one day, then broken the next. Same error message. Something so specific, occurring at the same time, can't be a coincidence, so probably not your PC after all.
              Tried latest version of Zoombrowser - same problem. Will try re-install as suggested.

Comment

1. To AndyA
                CANON issues Map Utility on a CD disc that comes with the GPS unit GP-E2 that fits on to the flash slot on my EOS 7D. The software accepts photos, but significantly if they have coordinates stored in Exif they will be inserted on a Google map with a RED pin. Photos without coordinates can have their position picked up from the same Google map and will have a BLUE pin inserted, then it can be saved and BLUE changes to red. (Some cameras have GPS built in)
                ---------------------
                2 To trainfan
                Sorry to say this, but I'm glad that you have also had this problem at the same dates!! Now I have version 1.5.0.5, and I have no idea how, but it works,with one serious bug compared with ver 1.3. When I manually tag older photos (see page 11 in Manual for 1.3), if the google map has an icon showing the particular place (in my cases they are churches I've been to) then it refuses to insert a BLUE pin, instead it will show a picture of the church. Then I restart and click some 2mm from the church icon and it all works.
                I have spoken to CANON in Holland about this, they requested a full write from me, they have had that so we await their response. CANON are certainly acting rather odd with this software as there is no way you can go to WINDOWS (7, 64bit) and uninstall Map Utility as it is not shown on any list that I can get at!!
                ------------------
                Hope all this helps, I know it does not solve. I'll revert if CANON come up with an explanation.
                Regards
                Myrddin Jones

Comment

Found this on the net in regard to Geotag program - similar to Map Utililty.
                  "Google have announced that they will retire version 2 of their Google Maps API on November 19, 2013. Geotag 0.089 and later will use version 3 of their API"

Comment

CANON have now replied, but never admitted that GOOGLE had introduced the new version 3 that Justin_Focus had told us about, and I wonder if that is why Ver 1.5.0.5 of MP came out so quietly! They confirmed that MAP UTILITY (MP) is hidden inside ImageBrowser EX, which is a bad move in my opinion, as MP is a fine piece of software that is surely part of their GPS facilities, camera or unit. I have said this to them, and hopefully they may listen as they did for EOS 7D??
                    ImageBrowser EX will now automatically update itself and MP up to Ver 1.5.0.5. If one wants the older 1.3 version then they say uninstall IB EX and then install from the original disc but with the internet disabled, hence stopping the automatic updates. Personally why, because it will not work with the new GOOGLE API.
                    I can accept the Ver 1.5.0.5 for my requirements if GOOGLE have an icon on the map for the old churches that I am manually tagging.
                    Has anyone used "LANDMARK2 in MP? I thought that by entering a name for a photo it would show on the photo that appears when one clicks on the RED pin on a map. But not so for me - or am I being stupid?

Regards
                    Myrddin Jones

Comment

Sorry Justin_Focus, forgot to say that I have never had any problem with ZOOMBROWSER, mine is Ver 6.9.0.1
                      Cheers
                      Myrddin

Comment

Working...
                      X