I want to give film a try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to give film a try

I own one of the best crop sensor bodies that is available so I'm told, and probably thee best 70-200 2.8 lens you can get too. Often told that also. It's all a bit "hmmm that's cool, I think" to me.

I've often read stories of people who bought a film camera and it totally revolutionised the way they see digital. They talk of how it made them think more about the pictures they were taking and I thought, I need to try this.

I was looking all night last night and I think the Canon AE-1 Program could well be in my hands pretty soon. I wouldn't be developing my own film, and as much as I think this is part of the magic, I don't have the space for a darkroom.

When the more experienced photographers mention that it "Wasn't like this in the film days" I get really confused and upset by it. I want to know what it's all about, and when the same experienced bunch of folk make reference to older photographers who shot film, their images just speak volumes and I really sincerely believe that there's something missing in digital. There's not that same drama and magic to a shot.

I remember watching a documentary on John Free once and he'd wander about the street for hours, and kept saying "nope that's not the shot, that's not the shot" and then BOOM "There's the shot!" His excitement at getting the shot he waited 3 hours for meant so much to him lol.

I was also looking up Henri Cartier-Bresson. His stuff was so powerful.

So what do you think? Is it a good idea?

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: I want to give film a try

I started my SLR journey with film purely because I was given an old Praktica BC-1 with a couple of lens. The cost of the film and the cost of processing the film certainly made me think about the shot. It taught me very quickly not to just point and shoot, but to think about the composition and the exposure and also whether the shot was worth taking. I really enjoyed it and I have tried to use the same thinking when I moved to Digital, which means I don't tend to spend a lot of time in front of the computer editing and changing things in the picture.

I used to enjoy the anticipation of waiting for the film to be developed and opening the folder with the images in to see if I got it right. The main downside to this is if you get it wrong you can't go back to re-capture it.
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Aye there's that right enough. I think there's more room for error where it can't be 'fixed' in photoshop. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

I'm sure you will enjoy it I found it a very big learning curve as I didn't understand anything about exposure at the time.

Flickr
        Facebook

Comment

It's just trying to get the right camera without hiccups. Most are either in great condition and are well over £100 or for spares and repairs. Think I might sell my 17-85 to fund it. I never use it.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

There's something pleasing about shooting on film. You are back in an era when we had time to think and instinctively knew what the correct exposure was. Had to focus manually. Each shot cost real money. You only had a max of 36 shots before changing the film. ISO-400 (e.g. HP4/5 or Tri-X) was pleasantly grainy. FP4 was superb. Many colour emulsions to suit your needs. Ah those were the days so go for it laddy.

Remember if you get the classic AE-1 (or the AE-1P) you'll need FD lens ;-) But Keep your eyes peeled for an F1n, A1 or T90 body.

Comment

Originally posted by George Bear View Post
              There's something pleasing about shooting on film. You are back in an era when we had time to think and instinctively knew what the correct exposure was. Had to focus manually. Each shot cost real money. You only had a max of 36 shots before changing the film. ISO-400 (e.g. HP4/5 or Tri-X) was pleasantly grainy. FP4 was superb. Many colour emulsions to suit your needs. Ah those were the days so go for it laddy.

Remember if you get the classic AE-1 (or the AE-1P) you'll need FD lens ;-) But Keep your eyes peeled for an F1n, A1 or T90 body.
              Cheers for the advice. I was looking at the AE-1P. I love the original look of it too with the black and silver. I was thinking about B&W first off with the Tri-X 400 film from Kodak. I like the style of the shots it produces.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

As a bit of an oldster my experience is mainly film based. Started with Zenith E, manual everything even diaphram! Had many other cameras after that but ended up with Olympus OM stuff.

I keep thinking about experiencing film again but hanker after 2 and quarter square.

Personally I don't think digital has degraded my photography but has allowed far more freedom to experiment with ideas.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I started with an Olympus OM-10, nearly 25 years ago now (oh I feel old). It was, and still is!, a great wee camera. I must be honest though, it sat in a cupboard for 10years until I got my 500d. It wasn't until I got it, and was able to check instantly what I was shooting, that I truly began to understand exposure etc. I took the Olympus out of hibernation about a year ago and shot 4 or 5 rolls on it. Got some really good results. And the bad shots, I understood more about why they were bad. One wee thing I would say, carry a notebook with you and jot down all your exposure data against the camera exposure number. It helps the memory!

I look forward to seeing some of your results soon. Have fun!

Garry
                  Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                  Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

I shoot film now and then, on an EOS5, hardly a sexy-retro looking camera (how I wish I'd never traded in my Olympus OM2n) but there's one resounding feeling which switching back to film gives me - it's that feeling of expectation & anticipation when you peel open the envelope containing the processed and printed images - there's nothing like that feeling with digital!
                    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I think Jill still has her dad's mint AE-1 upstairs.
                      Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                      http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                      https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Aye Andy it's the AE-1 I was after due to it's retro looks.

It's a funny thing when you mention this sort of thing. Loads say they would never go back to 35mm and some say it's the best thing since sliced bread. Very confusing indeed.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

I don't think that I would ever get rid of the 40D for a Film SLR but will probably get another one at some point in the future just to dabble with. Good luck with your hunt for one and have fun playing around with it.

Flickr
                          Facebook

Comment

Paul. I'm not convinced you'll find everything you want by using film. Your own examples... Mr Free who wouldn't take a shot until it was 'the' shot... Is not about film, just his personal choice.

By shooting film, you'll gain another perspective... That is useful, but not essential. To state you want an AE 1 because it 'looks retro' isn't the right reason.

Just my opinion, which is what you asked for. Hope you see what I mean!

Your choice, as ever. Do it if you want, just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

All the best, and good luck. Mike.
                            flickr
                            5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Paul. I'm not convinced you'll find everything you want by using film. Your own examples... Mr Free who wouldn't take a shot until it was 'the' shot... Is not about film, just his personal choice, and applies regardless of medium being used!

By shooting film, you'll gain another perspective... That is useful, but not essential. To state you want an AE 1 because it 'looks retro' isn't the right reason.

Just my opinion, which is what you asked for. Hope you see what I mean!

Your choice, as ever. Do it if you want, just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

All the best, and good luck. Mike.
                              flickr
                              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Working...
                              X