I want to give film a try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want to give film a try

I started with film during the Kodak Box camera days and progressed through Practica, Pentax, Canon (EOS 3 & iv) and remember waiting anxiously for the pictures to arrive. Ah! those were the days. However I will not go back to film again as everything you wish to learn about exposure etc can be learnt digitally by pre-viewing your images in camera and applying correction there and then for a re-take. Going back to film ,IMHO,is like going back to the days of using a quill pen and a bottle of ink to write letters etc. Not for me!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by lone pilgrim View Post
      I started out with film and my favourite camera was an Olympus OM20.
      I replaced my Topcon RM300 with an OM20. I lent it to a photography student a couple of years ago. more recently I gave it to a 6th form student friend of my daughters as he had an interest in film and I decided I'd never use it again.

As a slight digression I don't understand this move to retro bodies, view ranger types excepted. They may look "retro cool" but modern slr cameras are ergonomically much better.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Hijacking the thread a tad here, Ive just acquired a MINT A-1. OK, Ive had to put in a new battery and replace all the seals. It seems to behave almost like a 7D....AV....TV......Auto. Downside only centre spot metering, but it can remember a reading from elsewhere and use that and then re-compose - sound familiar? I reckon for £35 it was a bargain. God knows what they cost new, tho Im sure Colin will know. Anyone here have any experience of the A-1??? Let me know - thanks.

Comment

God knows what they cost new, tho Im sure Colin will know.
          £320 rings a bell, though I got my first one for £299.
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            £320 rings a bell, though I got my first one for £299.
            There you, font of all knowledge -thanks Colin for that - my math isn't up to working out the depreciation, but I reckon I got one sweet little camera - well, not so little...weighs a ton! but Ive just really fallen in love with it, tho. I don't sleep with it under the pillow yet.

Comment

I love my AE-1P it's my wee go to camera now. First roll of Kodak Ultramax 400 worked out great and no using Fuji Superia X-tra to give it a go. I find they have different uses. I love film. However one learning curve has been the 400mm 5.6 Learned so much using that lens so far.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

However one learning curve has been the 400mm 5.6 Learned so much using that lens so far.
                It's a whole new ball game using big telephoto's and that 400mm is one of Canon's hidden gems. Great quality for not a lot of money ............ well it is a lot of money, but not for a top quality L series.
                Colin

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                  Hijacking the thread a tad here, Ive just acquired a MINT A-1. OK, Ive had to put in a new battery and replace all the seals. It seems to behave almost like a 7D....AV....TV......Auto. Downside only centre spot metering, but it can remember a reading from elsewhere and use that and then re-compose - sound familiar? I reckon for £35 it was a bargain. God knows what they cost new, tho Im sure Colin will know. Anyone here have any experience of the A-1??? Let me know - thanks.
                  I went through a number of film Canon's in the mid 80's. AV1, instantly didn't like it as it was auto only, traded for an AE-1, traded that for an F1 (the old type) which I really wish I'd kept but I found going back to fully manual too slow so I returned it and went for the A1 - I kept with that for a number of years until I switched to Leica R.

I really liked the A1, just a great camera to use. I'm not entirely sure why I changed to the R system because I was instantly restricted by the cost of the lenses! But I still own and use the R today, and it brought me back to Canon funnily enough because I can use the (few!) lenses with an EOS adaptor.

The old Canon FD range of cameras/lenses are an absolute bargain for film enthusiasts today.

Comment

Originally posted by Mightyquin View Post
                    I went through a number of film Canon's in the mid 80's. AV1, instantly didn't like it as it was auto only, traded for an AE-1, traded that for an F1 (the old type) which I really wish I'd kept but I found going back to fully manual too slow so I returned it and went for the A1 - I kept with that for a number of years until I switched to Leica R.

I really liked the A1, just a great camera to use. I'm not entirely sure why I changed to the R system because I was instantly restricted by the cost of the lenses! But I still own and use the R today, and it brought me back to Canon funnily enough because I can use the (few!) lenses with an EOS adaptor.

The old Canon FD range of cameras/lenses are an absolute bargain for film enthusiasts today.
                    Interesting reply and bears out my thoughts about the a-1. Ive got my light seals sorted (£9.00) and bought a 28mm 2.8 lens (£20.00) and now looking at a very spiffy/cheap way of digitising negatives (using a 7D). When I get something worth posting, pic. wise, Ill bob it up. It will be interesting to see if anyone spots the processes involved.

Comment

Hello,all you film boffins! I have 3 flash guns which I used in my film days- EOS 3 & 4 and they are all in good working condition as I have just tried them on, without a camera of course. They are FREE to good homes! All I would want is the postage, which I think at £4.50 each would cover P&P .The flash guns are (i) Boots Photoflash 30ABT (has got tilt head)& takes 4 AA batteries) (ii) Cobra auto 210 (has got tilt head& takes 4 AA batteries) (iii) Ring 15B (no tilt head & takes two AA batteries). PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE FLASH GUNS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MODERN DLSR'S.

If anyone is interested please send me a PM

Last edited by Nathaniel; 07-01-2014, 14:11.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I've got at least one example of each A series (and T series) body, as well as several older models, and one of each F-1 main type.

My absolute favourites are the FTb, EF, F-1N and A1, with the latter two fighting it out for top spot. The T90 isn't far behind the other two, nor the earlier F-1s.

Several of the T series are horrible, particularly the T50. I'm not all that keen on the AE-1 or AT-1, and the T80 deserves its reputation. I rather like the cheapo AL-1, AV-1 and even (whisper it quietly!) the Cosina T60, and the dearer AE-1 Program and T70. Some of the really old Canon SLRs aren't worth buying to use - my biggest Canon oddity is the Canonex, a really weird camera (not least because I've got an all-but-identical Mamiya), and the Flex RP isn't an awful lot better, albeit with something like the FD mount.

I do enjoy using old cameras, but at the end of the day, I must say I prefer using digital - but these wonderful bits of engineeering need to be used.
                        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Nicorando, you might know this site which seems to support your observations on the Canonex http://herron.50megs.com/fixed-1.htm

Comment

Thanks. I have seen that, and several others. There's a lot of agreement on many points, but not everything.
                            Odd thing is I bought them the same week, one off ebay, the other from a charity shop, but didn't get round to comparing them for a little while. They are as close to identical as you can imagine, but what's not clear from what I've been able to check is if the cameras were actually made by Canon, Mamiya, or both. It's only really of academic interest, I suppose.
                            Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Working...
                            X