Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas (my first submission)

Thanks.

I have a long list of things to try out and look at so will be quite busy for the next few days and on top of that my digital subscription details have just come through so will have a few archives to trawl back on.

I appreciate I only have an "entry level" Canon but does anyone else here have one and able to point me to some of their pics taken with one?

Thanks.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

I had another go tonight :)

Same set up as before using Av priority but this time not cropping the orange off and decided to fully get the cinnamon sticks in. Run through a little post processing on photoshop and "trimmed" edges of picture as had a bit of open space on right that looked too big. Hopefully it shows Ive taken on board the comments made (or most of them) so thank you as I do think this looks better this time.

The only thing (and only spotted it after fiddling with it in photoshop for a while) is that I now wish i twisted the cinnamon stick clockwise slightly so the orange was more central on the sticks - whereas now it looks like the orange overlaps to the right slightly). Thoughts appreciated again thank you.

Cinnamon2.jpg
      Andy
      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

I quite like that.
        If you have enough light. or fancy trying a longer exposure (use TV) you could try going up in aperture and you'll turn the lights into star bursts. Mind you, you can add them in PP as well.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Hi Andy. Welcome to the forum. Great first submissions there. There is nothing I could offer further than has already been said.

With regards to your question about camera, I am not sure who has an 1100 on her, but I (and I think Di) both have a 500d, which has a similar spec, bar the video. Feel free to click on the flickr link in my signature to see what I get with mine. I am by no means a pro! but I am very happy with my results. I also know that where my images fail, it is more down to user error rather than camera capability. I have found that when I plan my shots and take my time, my results are very pleasing, at least to me! Also, if you go into flickr and do a search for eos 1100d/kiss X50/RebelT3, it should show some images it is capable of. You have a great camera, and are in a great forum for any help, so, enjoy!
          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Thank you again everyone.

I will have a search through flickr at some point then :).

Have purchased the Canon 50mm f1.8 today so will be experimenting with that at some point - took a quick test picture and am already surprised by the difference in image quality I can get with that compared to my current kit lens.
            Andy
            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

The nifty fifty is a great lens, with unbelievably good results for the price. A good purchase!
              Garry Macdonald on Flickr
              Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

From your first three pictures I prefer the 2nd one as the shallow depth of field makes the subject more prominent.
                Using Av and Tv is not cheating, these just select aperture or shutter priority. I think using pure manual all the time is not really required.

As for the other modes, sometimes they can be useful 'get out of jail' modes when you don't have time to think too much and don't want to lose a shot.
                I would start by getting really comfortable with Av and Tv modes and then progress from there.
                At the end of the day it's getting a good image that counts I believe.

As for image processing, I started just using the software that came with my camera and then got Elements, loads of great YouTube tutorials and some great help from people here on the forums have helped me a lot.
                Andy

Comment

Thanks Cyberman.

I been searching through a few pictures I took in summer when I first had camera so will post a couple and may even enter one or two in the end of year photos.
                  Andy
                  Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

The 50mm 1.8 is a great lens. Enjoy.
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X