Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which new EOS bodies fully support the 1.4x and 2x extenders ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which new EOS bodies fully support the 1.4x and 2x extenders ?

OK - it's time I upgraded my EOS40D body for a newer model. I have a 1.4x extender (I need the reach), but my 40D will only support the auto-focus feature with my EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM but not with my EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM.

I'm not sure if it's the body or something in the lens which is the technical issue - but if it's the body, I want to avoid getting a new body which doesn't allow me to exploit auto-focus through the extender.

I have been looking for a chart which shows compatibility, but haven't found one yet.

Anyone got one, can point me to one, or can give me a definitive "yes/no" for the current body range ?

Thanks.

Frustrated of Hornchurch.

Re: Which new EOS bodies fully support the 1.4x and 2x extenders ?

Hi it's not the extender that's the issue or the camera body
    If the lens was f4 then adding the extender would equate to f5.6 and it would still autofocus
    The only bodies that adding a 1.4 extender onto the 100-400 and autofocus would be the 1dx and the 5d3 with the latest firmware
    I may be wrong but sure someone will confirm or not or even better explain, soon

Comment

There's a nice table here (for the 5D Mark III as it happens). http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...S5DM3_firmware

Comment

list from Wikipedia click here
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

If the max aperture is greater than 5.6, then only 1D pro bodies or 5D3 will autofocus. Adding a 1.4 extender to a 100 - 400 makes the aperture F8, as you lose a stop adding a 1.4 TC; add a 2 TC and you will lose 2 stops i.e. the 100 - 400 would go to F11.

William
          40D, 70D. 400 5.6, 70-200 2.8IS, 17-50 2.8, 150 2.8 Macro, EOS-M3

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
            If the max aperture is greater than 5.6, then only 1D pro bodies or 5D3 will autofocus. Adding a 1.4 extender to a 100 - 400 makes the aperture F8, as you lose a stop adding a 1.4 TC; add a 2 TC and you will lose 2 stops i.e. the 100 - 400 would go to F11.

William
            Surely you mean if the aperture is SMALLER than f/5.6?

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
              Surely you mean if the aperture is SMALLER than f/5.6?
              IIRC f/4 is a larger aperture than f/5.6; whereas f/22 is quite small.
              Bob Turner
              Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

I know what I mean. If the max aperture is F8, only 1D pro bodies or 5D3 will autofocus. This assumes you are not taping the pins or using a non-reporting TC. So if you want to use a 100 - 400 and a Canon 1.4 TC, buy a 1DX or 5D3. If not it manual focus
                40D, 70D. 400 5.6, 70-200 2.8IS, 17-50 2.8, 150 2.8 Macro, EOS-M3

Comment

Thanks to Rasputin, Bawbee, Hereford_EOS, George Bear and colintf for the rapid and helpful responses.

Understand the issue - and why the EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM also worked with the 1.4x extender on my trusty old film EOS-1V.

Now to book an appointment with my bank manager

Comment

Working...
                  X