Who has had a 503 this week ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has had a 503 this week ?

The 503 seems to have reared its ugly head again, for me particularly in the last week or so. To get an idea how many people have had the problem in the past few days please respond to the is thread. If there are enough people then perhaps the powers that be will try again to do something about it - I for one an really getting p*******d off. I am regularly posting on 3 other forums and I have never had such a problem

Stan
    Last edited by Stan; 16-12-2013, 17:18.
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Who has had a 503 this week ?

Me. I haven't been able to post anything properly since Friday I think. The people here are great but the user experience of using the forum is very bad. I wouldn't mind a PM with suggestions of some alternative forums.
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Me.

I made several attempts at one particular post.

Went through eventually though.

Kev
      Canon EOS 600D
      Canon EFS 18-55mm KIt Lens
      Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinfairgrieve/

Comment

Don't get a 503 as I think it's windows related ,but a couple of times when trying to post photos it gives me a error message and I can't get past it ,is this the same thing/problem

Comment

but a couple of times when trying to post photos it gives me a error message and I can't get past it ,is this the same thing/problem
          yes that is the problem - "Service Temporarily Unavailable" - otherwise known as 503 and it only happens when you try to post a picture

Stan

flickr

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I am aware of the continuing problem and have been trying to resolve it for some time. However, as various members have noted, it is random. It seems to come and go and does not affect everyone trying to post images. As one person is getting frustrated over the issue another is posting multiple images. This makes it difficult to track down the cause.

The company hosting the forum has run checks and says that everything is running as it should.

If you post a message here, it would halp if you could give as much detail as possible, including:
            - Windows or Mac operating system
            - web browser used, with version number
            - whether you are posting a link to another site, such as flickr, or using the forum 'insert image' option
            - the date and time of the problem
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

If you post a message here, it would halp if you could give as much detail as possible, including:
              - Windows or Mac operating system
              - web browser used, with version number
              - whether you are posting a link to another site, such as flickr, or using the forum 'insert image' option
              - the date and time of the problem
              we have been through all this in the past Robert and it still did not get to the root of the problem - the "insert image " option is not a problem, at least not for me but it is something i dont use as it seems to degrade and soften images so i much prefer to use external links, such as flickr. I usually use IE browser but also tried Google Chrome this evening with the same result

Even in "normal" times I cant post text and images together without getting the 503 - always have to type the text first, save the post and then edit and add the image - usually that works 9 times out of ten but this past week is has not

The main reason for starting this thread was really to try and find out just how widespread the problem is at the present time

Stan
              Last edited by Stan; 16-12-2013, 17:59.

flickr

Comment

I use Firefox (always the latest) on Windows but have also had the problem in IE. I can't even post links in my signature anymore let alone a picture. Once it a while it will work then if I go straight back in to edit the message it gives me the problem again and the picture that was successfully posted a moment earlier is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                  The company hosting the forum has run checks and says that everything is running as it should.
                  How sure are you about this? I'm only asking as that seems to be the standard reply from all the web hosts I've ever used. This has to be either a hosting issue or there is a fault with vBulletin IMO and my bet is with the host

Comment

As a test I just posted some BB code in a test new post and used the preview post button. This worked.
                    I added a row of text underneath - still worked.
                    I added some more BBCode to link to another picture - server unavailable.
                    Reverted to the previous entry that had worked - server unavailable.
                    I repeated all of this on my own PHPBB forum and it worked perfectly over and over, indicating that my own machine, browser, web host and forum software have no problem retrieving the picture from Flickr.

So you must have a problem with your host or vBulletin software or vBulletin settings. I would start out by taking a look in your admin control panel for vBulletin.

Comment

Also perhaps see if there are any extra security options in your hosting control panel that you can temporarily disable. Otherwise I suspect your host may have implemented some security features that are unknowingly causing this problem.

Comment

Another thought to throw in the mix.... if the stats show the people being affected are the most regular visitors here (me and Stan certainly are very regular these days) and occasional visitors are not being affected this could point to security software on the server blacklisting our IP.

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
                          How sure are you about this? I'm only asking as that seems to be the standard reply from all the web hosts I've ever used. This has to be either a hosting issue or there is a fault with vBulletin IMO and my bet is with the host
                          I am simply reporting what they say. We are on a shared server and it is possible that the error occurs when other sites on the same server increase their traffic. This would explain the random nature of the problem, but not why it affects some members and not others.

We could switch to a virtual server, but this is more expensive. Given that the forum is offered as a free service and many members are not subscribers to EOS magazine, I am reluctant to increase the running costs. I suspect that very few current members would be willing to pay an annual subscription to the forum.

We could switch to another hosting company and I have researched this. The advantage of our current provider is that we enjoy unlimited traffic. We are already over the monthly bandwidth included in packages from many other providers and this will also incur extra costs. And there is no guarantee that it would resolve the problem.

My areas of expertise are photography and publishing, so there might be a simple solution to the problem which eludes me. Suggestions from members with IT expertise are welcome.
                          Robert
                          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Is there a cache or some logs on the server that can be cleared down every so often?

Comment

For what it is worth, and in response to Stan's original question, I have only had it once before, but got it several times in the last week or so. It definitely seems to be having a bad spell. For me, though, when it does happen, posting the words and editing to add the BB code from Flickr nearly always works.
                              I am using Safari on a Mac running OS 10.9.
                              Canon EOS 7D
                              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                              X