Who has had a 503 this week ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who has had a 503 this week ?

The size of images uploaded to forums, which are then stored on the forum's server, have to be kept to sensible limits. Otherwise, the amount of available (how much is rented) storage space would be filled up very quickly. Storage space costs money, and its not cheap.

Imagine uploading full size images from my full frame 5D Mklll.

When an image is downsized from its original size, data (resolution) is discarded. Every time you save from jpeg to jpeg, the compressed data is re-compressed.

If you use 'Save for Web', then there will be a further degree of degradation.

I would suggest that images 'linked' from Flickr will be sharper, because you can upload significantly larger images (more resolution) to Flickr than you can to most forums.

The softening of images uploaded directly to the forum, will be as a result of the necessary downsizing required. Flickr based images are not stored on the forum's server, only the 'link' is.

That said, unless you make a direct side-by side comparison, as has been done in this 'thread' by David, you would likely not be aware any degradation in images that are directly uploaded.

For the reasons stated above, on my forum we limit the maximum image size to 1024 x 1024 pixels. Why square?, well some of us are using square format cameras.

Dave
    Dave

Comment

As no one has yet reported a 503 error uploading an image direct from their computer, I will see if there is a method of improving the quality of the directly uploaded image.
      I think that is an idea well worth exploring. Another forum to which i contribute only allows a direct upload of images with a file size of 400 kb maximum and a preference for images at 900 px on the longest side and it is very rare that images upload and display at anything less than their original quality

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

I have not had a 503 for months, including when this particular thread was at its most virulent. I have only just seen the "pull the plug" debate: all I can say is a big resounding "NO" from me! Anyway, I have just had my first 503 for ages...

Mac OS (the latest version), using Safari and Flickr...

Hey ho! One of the costs of enjoying myself!!!

Keep up the good work Robert. I do not envy you...

Best

Richard
        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I've had 503 this evening, quite frustrating so I now know how everyone else who has experienced this feels.

I'm using Win7 64bit, with Firefox and interestingly Flickr!

I may try uploading from another source but not direct from my PC
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
            I may try uploading from another source but not direct from my PC
            Any reason for not trying a direct upload? David, who posted a comparison from his computer and flickr earlier in this thread, says that the computer upload was closer to the original image than the flickr link.
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I will try a direct upload later this morning for you Robert
              Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                I will try a direct upload later this morning for you Robert
                Robert I've posted a new thread LINK with one direct upload and the same image uploaded from flickr. I hope this helps.
                Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

I don't know about a 503 error but I can't create new posts. I just keeps downloading a Newthread.php file whenever I try. Happens on both Chrome and IE. I can reply to people, but just can't create a new thread.

Very odd indeed.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                  X