Who has had a 503 this week ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who has had a 503 this week ?

Another thing to check is that you are not close to your hosting package storage and bandwidth limits.
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
      Is there a cache or some logs on the server that can be cleared down every so often?
      The cache is supposed to clear automatically on a regular basis in our current version of vBulletin, but I have just done a manual clear. Any change?
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Another thing to check is that you are not close to your hosting package storage and bandwidth limits.
        We are currently using 53MB of 6000MB storage.

We have unlimited bandwidth
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

As a member of several forums, some on a shared server< I have never experienced such problems. frankly i find it all a tad embarrassing, so it over and out from me

Comment

I've been OK ,but now I'm facing the same problems as everybody else,not posted anything for 2 weeks (but then probably for the best as nothing really worth showing )

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

not posted anything for 2 weeks
              it has been noticable there seem to have been fewer new posts in the past couple of weeks so perhaps the problem is quite widespread

stan
              Last edited by Stan; 16-12-2013, 22:01.
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                We are currently using 53MB of 6000MB storage.

We have unlimited bandwidth
                53mb can't be right surely? I'm using 593mb on my own personal website.

Unfortunately I'm no expert in web hosting, linux, apache etc. so I hope one of our members is but other than that I would keep being a PITA with the host until they put you in touch with a backroom techy who takes it seriously.

Comment

For what its worth.

Using latest Mozilla Firefox - Windows Vista - Avast security.

I use transfer from flickr. I make sure that I am signed into my flickr account. When I've tried using it with out signing in... never works.

Select the size I want and then right click to grab the "image location"

I click on the photo frame and insert the code by pasting.

I unclick the Retrieve remote file and reference locally doesn't work for me and always causes the system to freak.

So far everything as posted.

and I have to add... is it just me... or did the posting of photos problem occur when we got tapatalk?Can anyone else think that far back? I could be totally wrong, but would it be worth turning if off for a week and see if things improve?
                  Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                  Di's Flickr

Comment

On the other hand, and I don't post a lot of images, I have never had a 503 error.

Edit: Currently using WIN 8.1 and MS IE 11.
                    Bob Turner
                    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post

and I have to add... is it just me... or did the posting of photos problem occur when we got tapatalk?Can anyone else think that far back? I could be totally wrong, but would it be worth turning if off for a week and see if things improve?
                      I think you are right and I did disable Tapatalk for a period, without any noticeable improvement. However, I have disabled it again to see if the '503' problem is reduced this time.

There are only about 15 unique visitors using Tapatalk each day. If you are one of these, you can switch to the vBulletin 'Default Mobile Style' using the drop-down menu at the bottom left of the forum page.
                      Robert
                      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I tried Di's method when previewing a new post i.e. just posting a link to a jpg on Flickr rather than the bbcode and it worked so I added another link and that worked. Then I added another using bbcode and that worked. Then I added one more using bbcode and I got the error. So then I deleted all the bbcode leaving just the first 2 links to jpg files and still got the error. I cancelled the post and started a fresh one this time just trying to post a link to a jpg and again I get the error every time.

Comment

I am Mac OSX 10.9, browser is Safari version 7. I had the problem this week when I tried posting my first ever images from 500px. I had to write the post out in full, edit the supplied code from 500px, cut all the text out of the post, then paste it back into the post and then it worked.

Fortunately I have a little experienced with HTML so it didn't put me off but I can see how it would be a hurdle for others.
                          Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

I have posted pictures here (albeit not on a regular basis), both as direct upload, and as BB Code for my Flickr site, but have yet to experience any problems.

Perhaps I have been lucky, and it is random issue, of which the odds of experiencing the problem, would be higher for the more prolific image posters.

Given the speed of the forum response, and page refresh time, I was quite surprised when Robert said the 'Board' was hosted on a Shared Server, as these are notoriously slow.

My own forum (astro-imaging), was originally hosted on a shared server, but we (my co-owner and I), and our members got quite frustrated with it.

So, we moved to a VPS, but this is significantly more expensive, but managed to keep funding it, with help from our four support team members.

We all like a 'free lunch', and many people don't stop to think that somebody is funding the forums, that they enjoy using for free.

Yes, many are funded by advertising revenue, or a generous sponsor, but certainly not all.

I guess we could sensibly assume that this forum is an 'advertising banner' for EOS Magazine, and given the number of 'guest visitors' (who outnumber registered members by a huge amount) that visit the forum every day, its certainly brings EOS Mag to the attention of a lot of people. Whether or not this produces a significant number of new subscribers, only Robert can judge.

This is my favourite photography forum, but like many others here, I am not an EOS Mag subscriber. I did consider it, downloaded the 'sampler', and bought another single issue, but decided that it wasn't for me. I may well reconsider this at a future date, but at present prefer my monthly purchased photo mag.

So, in effect, I am a 'freeloader' here, but do not lose sight of the fact that someone (Robert's business) is paying for it.

Without members, there is no forum, as without some one funding it, there is also no forum, so its a bit of a 'catch 22' really. The forum owner needs members for it to become a forum, the members want someone to pay for it, and to be able to use for free.

Some forums ask for donations, but IMO this can open a 'can of worms', unless proper accounting take place, and members get to see a balance sheet, it can be perceived as suspect by some.

If this was a closed forum, and only EOS mag subscribers were allowed to use it, then knowing the forum as I do, I would consider subscribing to the mag as providing me with a decent forum, plus a magazine. As it is, the mag isn't for me, and yet I can use the forum for free. Is that right??.

The 'guests' can read everything from the forum that I can, and yet contribute nothing. But, the forum is an advertisement for the magazine, which is why this is the case, I guess.

I'm sure that Robert doesn't want to see members having upload problems, any more than we want to experience them, but he is dependent on whatever support the server host provides (or doesn't provide perhaps), and the limitations imposed by the extent of his own IT skills.

I should add that I don't use the vBulletin software, but use the free phpBB, which has run my forum without problems for almost 5 years.

Dave
                            Last edited by Dave_S; 16-12-2013, 20:48. Reason: Typo
                            Dave

Comment

I expect the migration of such a big site from VB to PHPBB would be a very big task even though converters are available. How much roughly for dedicated hosting?

Comment

How much roughly for dedicated hosting?
                                From memory, albeit it was over 3 years ago, I believe that our hosting cost doubled.

Dave
                                Dave

Website:- https://davesimaging.wixsite.com/mysite

Comment

Working...
                                X