Who has had a 503 this week ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who has had a 503 this week ?

Ahh, so when all else fails, let's disable Tapatalk again, as we need to blame something. As an FYI I have not had the dreads 503 error, I use photobucket, and only is the [img] tags to post images.

But it must be Tapatalk, even when it was turned off before the 503 still existed.

Comment

Other Canon Forums use Tapatalk and do not have the 503 problem
      David

Comment

It might be worth installing PHPBB as a test forum. Give the url to some of the affected users and lets see if that suffers from the same problem. Its pretty easy to install. If not then there is help available on the PHPBB forums to explain how to convert VBulletin databases to PHPBB. Just a thought.
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Googling VBulletin and 503 error brings up 172,000 hits going back at least as far as 2007, it seems there are numerous forums which suffer from this affliction. Reading through twenty or so threads it seems there are as many suggestions for fixes as there are instances of the problem. One particularly promising thread concerning Flickr image posting ended abruptly with a "Please post a service ticket" request and no indication as to whether the problem was ever solved

This isn't isolated to our forum and I'm sure Robert is as frustrated as we are at how long the issue is dragging on, it does seem to be a VB (or at least a sqlserver) issue which really needs to be resolved at source.

PS I've just noticed a "solved" thread! I'm no expert in things HTML/SQL but this is what the poster said....

"okay..update. thanks to the link above. adding this to the config file got rid of the error.

define('SKIP_ALL_ERRORS', true); "

No idea what it means, but it may be of use to someone!
          Last edited by S_J_P; 17-12-2013, 08:30.
          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I had the error message all weekend using chrome and windows vista. Stan managed to post one of my images from my flickr account but when I tried again I got the message again
            1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
            Facebook
            www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
              Other Canon Forums use Tapatalk and do not have the 503 problem
              I use Tapatalk on my forum without any problem.

Dave
              Dave

Comment

I see that Tapatalk is currently disabled and I'm trying out the mobile version, but Tapatalk is much more user friendly. I've also had Tapatalk installed on a forum in the past and never once experienced the 503 problem.
                Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                  Ahh, so when all else fails, let's disable Tapatalk again, as we need to blame something. As an FYI I have not had the dreads 503 error, I use photobucket, and only is the [img] tags to post images.

But it must be Tapatalk, even when it was turned off before the 503 still existed.

One of the suggestions on the vBulletin forum is to turn off all plug-ins and see if there is any improvement. However, as this is causing so much stress to the few people using it, I have turned it back on again.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Perhaps the problem will go away on its own.
                  Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Perhaps the problem will go away on its own.
                    it never goes away as such, its been there for me continually since the outset and the only way i have been able to continue to post is by posting the text first and then editing to add the picture - OK it works most of the time but it is an extra step and time consuming.

Something else which strikes me is that, again at least for me, 503 only strikes when i start a new topic - on an established topic images can be added at the same time as text without problem

stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                      it never goes away as such,

stan
                      I was being ironic, given that whatever I do, somebody will complain about it.
                      Robert
                      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I've had it for nearly 2 weeks now and have really only been able to circumvent it with tapatalk. Don't understand why, but I feel the answer and not the problem lies therein.

I think Dave_S puts his finger on it - its catch 22 for you, Robert and I feel for you. But there are more guests than members on the forum and the forum serves the magazine. Invest in something more reliable than vBulletin and more people will more likely stay (how many have said its their favourite?), a percentage of which will hopefully one day subscribe to the magazine / buy your associated products and by default this increased base will perhaps pay for the "free" forum. i.e. business as normal. Add some adverts to help pay for it - why not?

Charging for the forum will make people leave in droves - I would never pay to post my pictures. Cancelling it will endear nobody and certainly not win any new customers, more likely lose old ones.

Haven't got a clue what phpBB stands for nor what it can do but of a google search of vBulleting is littered with problems like we're almost all encountering, time to move on I think.

Best regards
                        Andy

Comment

Invest in something more reliable than vBulletin
                          I wonder if vBulletin is part of the problem Canon Fodder Forums also uses vBulletin v4 and in well over 6000 posts there I have never had the 503 problem, in fact i dont think it has ever been mentioned on that forum

stan
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMackie View Post
                            Haven't got a clue what phpBB stands for nor what it can do
                            Its forum software Andy, doing pretty much the same job as vBulletin, but free.

I'm not saying that phpBB is any better than vBulletin, only that I have used it for my forum for almost 5 years without a problem.

A more professional package is Word Press, but its not free.

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                              I wonder if vBulletin is part of the problem Canon Fodder Forums also uses vBulletin v4 and in well over 6000 posts there I have never had the 503 problem, in fact i dont think it has ever been mentioned on that forum

stan
                              Also i have to mention the Canon Digital Photography uses the same, which has 135000 members and never had this problem that i come across.
                              Raj
                              Flickr

Comment

I also use CFF with no problem. As it may be an individual problem, could there be something in each member's profile that is the cause?
                                Bob Turner
                                Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Working...
                                X