GP-E2 GPS accessory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GP-E2 GPS accessory

Reading the GP-E2 user guide downloaded from the Canon Europe web site, there seem to me to be an awful lot of warnings about circumstances where "incorrect" data could be recorded. I know Canon has to be transparent in its literature, but methinks they doth protest too much.

It just sounds too risky at the moment. Will it improve when the Galileo constellation is operational ?

Comment

I have a GP-E2 and a 7D. The direction you're facing when taking a picture with a 7D is not recorded - it is with the other EOS camera's it works with I believe. Also you can't access the 'logging' data from a 7D (unless anyone knows better) so you can't keep a track of where you've been. When you take a picture it records the co-ordinates in the EXIF data and the mapping software provided with the unit extracts the data and shows it on the map. The data can be exported to Google Earth too. The accuracy depends on where you are. Wandering around a city taking pictures seems to record accurately (comparing 'where' the picture was taken on Google Earth with the picture itself seems to be correct pretty much always). However trees and rocks can cause problems - wandering around Plumpton rocks (well worth a visit if you're in the area) showed my height about sea level varying by 10's on meters even though I was walking around the edge of the lake. Also if using a 7D it's vital to remember to connect the small cable from the unit to the camera - otherwise you don't record any GPS data - I've done that a few times!

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        Not much of a reason then Nat if you haven't used it yet! He, he.
        Got the Camera early Dec and was already involved in taking/committed to take pics. Didn't wish to complicate or mess things up by playing around with the GPS then. I have now read the details and I find the GPS helpful- atleast gives me an idea where I have been BUT the instructions are to keep the camera switched on even when I am driving to record my movements. This definitely drains the battery fast and so I switch it off and only use it when I am actually taking photos. Fortunately I now have 3 batteries- two Canons and one third party.
        Last edited by Nathaniel; 21-01-2014, 12:50.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I have a Panasonic compact with GPS and the coordinates show up in LR. Like someone else mentioned not always switched on due to battery drain.

Main use is for my better half who is interested in geology and is used to record location of interesting formation or where a sample is collected.

As for my usage tend to have rough log of were I've been and tend to catalogue on PC by Location/date. Can't at present think of use personally but maybe as the years advance I might change my mind, if I can remember to :)
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

You can do this type of thing (this is actually from a Garmin handheld unit from my Sunday walk):

And with Geosetter you can modify the Exif metadata to add the appropriate geotags if you want.

For some of us it is very useful. For others less so and for those with a (no pun) photographic memory of little use.

The track illustrates that even a dedicated high sensitivity GPS can sometimes have a fit and produce a spike (it's that tiny spur just about the letter A in Ambleside). So I'm guessing that camera mounted (or embedded) units would suffer the odd 'spike' error.
            Last edited by MX5; 21-01-2014, 14:29.

Comment

Thats very interesting.I presume the blue line marks your walking route& wonder whether my Tom tom will show this as well- that will certainly save me keeping the 6D switched on to map my route and struggle with battery drain.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Yes the thin blue line is the walk ... with Google Earth you get a timeline so it's easier to see the actual direction you went.

If your TomTom records your track (normally a GPX file) then it'll provide a track for your driven route which can be loaded in Google Earth. Once on foot then turn the Canon's GPS on. Not sure if the internal 6D (or the external GP-E2) can be instructed to just geotag photos with a track recording being optional thing to turn on.

btw - a handheld GPS with decent fully charged batteries can record for between 12 to 24 hours. If you drop your days photographs (yes CR2, ARW, etc as well as JPG) into a dedicated folder and also drop the GPX file in there ... run GeoSetter ... and it will geotag the images (in fact it can be instructed to only geotag a copy and not the original).

Comment

Very unlikely your Tom Tom will plot a track like this as they are designed to use roads.

Smart phones can do this type of thing usually called My Tracks or something similar but not sure of file format and battery life will be very poor.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                    Very unlikely your Tom Tom will plot a track like this as they are designed to use roads.
                    Well I know Garmin car SatNav do record a track but I've not examined the SD card in my built-in TomTom so that might not. Nat will have to check.

If I'm using maps on my Smartphone or Tablet I keep a power bank handy so I can recharge on the road.
                    Last edited by MX5; 21-01-2014, 15:46.

Comment

Working...
                    X