External mic with 700D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External mic with 700D

I've recently bought an EOS 700D, and in movie mode the built in microphone picks up the sound of my 70-200 f4 L series lens as it adjusts focussing. Does anybody know of a good external microphone that will mount onto the hot-shoe of the camera, which does not pick up the lens focussing noise at all, and also provides good quality sound i.e. no background hissing noise. I'm not interested in microphones which reduce the lens noise, only those that don't pick it up at all.

Re: External mic with 700D

Do you mean it picks up the noise of the IS?

You can get a shotgun mic, but because the mic is fairly close to the lens, when mounted on a hot shoe, it can still pick up the claxkty clackety of the IS. I've seen some people put an old fashioned flash bracket on the camera hot shoe to extend the mic postioining further out, but I would imagine that this will only reduce not remove the problem.

Realistically you can only do so much to eliminate the IS chatter. Best solution; use a tripod and tturn it off. Better still use the mic off camera and recording into a separate recorder.
    EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

Re: External mic with 700D

Sound vibrations from the camera and lens are transmitted through the hard material they're made of so you need to mechanically isolate the microphone from the camera. You could use a remote mic either on a boom or one clipped to the subject but this can be less than convenient so the usual approach is to attach one that uses an isolating cradle and I've just bought one of these: http://www.musicmatter.co.uk/rode-vi...te-shock-mount

There are cheaper ones on eBay (and some considerably more expensive) but I needed one urgently and these people delivered the next day. Rode is a good name and I'm happy with this one although its real test will come this weekend when I use it in anger.

Incidentally, the brief research I've recently conducted into the black art of using a DSLR for video suggests auto focus is a bad idea as it works in a different manner to focussing still images on the same camera and can hunt and eventually decide to focus on the wrong thing. Manual focussing is strongly recommended - unfortunately, the small screen particularly in bright sunlight, makes this far from easy so lots of practice is needed... or a remote monitor.

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Working...
      X