Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10 mega pixels vs 20 megapixels

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
    That's what I thought Colin but was a bit confused about the praise for the 40D which is actually "old technique" now. Perhaps I am not understanding MX5's comment correctly.Bit more clarification please.

I should add a good lens to a good camera body should result in a quality image.
    No Nat ... I'm not saying the 40D is better than a 5D3 ... but the quality of the 40D is still more than acceptable (with good glass) for day-to-day photography. Actually as Brian wrote even cameras like the 10D and earlier still are okay ... unless you are printing on A1 or pixel peeping.

Comment

I now savvy! I think Brian's comment is first class as I can understand and perhaps thats why I am hogging my son's 60D (I sold mine) as I am keeping a crop camera to reduce the amount of cropping in the final image.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I have been using a 20D and 30D, and recently bought a 50D but haven't yet had time to do some comparisons. I'm not confident that I'll notice much if any difference on an A4 print, but the 50D has some nice additional features apart from the higher MP count. I recently shot a wedding with the 20/30D's and the couple were delighted with the results. They didn't know if my cameras were latest state of the art or not.

As well as claimed improvements in IQ, manufacturers have to coax us into spending more money. If everyone was still using their 20D's or 5D Mk1's then Canon would be out of business today. The promise of better images, and the 'street cred' of having the latest highest MP camera helps them sell more cameras.

Some people obsess about IQ and lens MTF charts, corner definition and distortion, but only ever share their photos on Facebook or Flickr (I've read a forum post from a Leica user who had just spent over £10K on gear and admitted he never bothers to print any images).

My last words on this question - a 1MP camera phone will be better than a 5D Mk111 with an L lens, if it's the only camera you have at the time!

Comment

I'll add another vote for the 40D. It really does produce a quality image - technically anyway, any composition faults are all mine - and as yet I really haven't felt the need to upgrade. Of course the fact that the xxD series were turned into souped up xxxD models hasn't encouraged me either.

From time to time I still dig out my old 20D and though I find that in some ways it's not as sharp as the 40D I can still get a decent shot from it. I can even get useable shots from a D30 I still have though that doesn't allow much crop room...
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
            Of course the fact that the xxD series were turned into souped up xxxD models hasn't encouraged me either.
            I think you're wide of the mark with that comment, Nigel; the 60D hasn't lost anything worth keeping from the 40D, and gained a lot. The 70D is streets ahead in just about any way.

Doesn't change the fact that the 40D is still a wonderful camera, of course.
            Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Hi Nick...

I did handle a 60D at an Canon sponsored RPS event over at Park Cameras just after it came out and TBH I wasn't too enamoured about the feel of it. Add the fact that they changed the card format to SD added a different battery and it was less of an upgrade option - plus the fact that I hadn't really had the 40D that long meant that there was no money anyway...

For my needs 10mp does enough (as does 8, 6 and 3.1) in terms of resolution and pixel count. The only thing about more recent gear that I do get envious of is the higher ISO range. One day I suspect I'll succumb...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Yeah, but the battery is now the same one as in the 7D, 6D and 5D II and III, and it's a lot better than the old one - loads more shots per charge. And I have to confess to finding SD cards a lot easier - as my laptops both have an SD reader built in. :)
                Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

I've had the 40D,50D,70D, 5D1, 5D2, 1D4,1DX and 1DS3. I still preferred the pictures from the 1DS3 - but the 1DX is a better all round camera. I wouldn't go back to the 40D although it was a good mid range camera of its age, rather like my 70D. I might be tempted to get another 1DS3 - but I would have to consider a 5D3 as a viable alternative ( which isn't limited by iso1600 - which was all that was needed for studio use)
                  ef-r

Comment

Working...
                  X