X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Grey Day in London

Lol David!

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
    Agreed, these images are far too good for my liking! ;-)
    Andy, you should try this lens. You would love it!

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Cool...
      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Two good sets.
        Andy

Comment

A very good catalogue of London in its damp and grey phase. The second set seem cleaner to me. Good luck with your competition entries Richard
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I like the second set the most Richard, the warmth of the incandescent lighting appeals to me and offsets the cold blue nicely
            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

The second set definitely ... tower bridge being superb. ++

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                Lol David!

Andy, you should try this lens. You would love it!

Richard
                I don't doubt that for one minute, but it just ain't going to happen. Besides, I'd need to sell another Kidney to fund it!

I'm still struggling with guilt at the prospect of buying a grey import 600EX-RT.

The thing is we are both in the same club, however, Richard has only just joined and has scored far too many 20's for a new member. Club "juniors" should make quiet appearances and not upset the more senior members....
                Can't you have a quiet word with the judges?
                Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thanks Les. I am trying to find a wet evening a little bit darker to catch the Shard reflected on the pavement of More London! But I am pleased you like it. I think I have some ammunition for my next club competition! As for "sharp" - that 24-70 Mk2 f2.8L is a scorcher of a lens!

Anyway, here it is:

The Shard by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

Richard
                  The most important element in this image (IMO) is the girl in red walking towards you, she's on the thirds, I'd be tempted to dodge her in a subtle touch to make her a teeny bit more prominant.

And I must admit I am tempted by the 24-70 F2.8L MK II, I have the MKI, and it's a sharp lens, I think the MKII takes it up a notch.
                  Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                  Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

A couple of great sets of images there my pick would be the 1st picture in the 2nd set
                    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                    Facebook
                    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
                      The most important element in this image (IMO) is the girl in red walking towards you, she's on the thirds, I'd be tempted to dodge her in a subtle touch to make her a teeny bit more prominent.
                      How is that Les:

The Shard in Rain take 2 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

This one was marginally tighter so I have less room to play with the verticals, but she was much closer to me, and I have tried (in my hamfisted way) to brighten her up a bit.

Thanks also Wayne, Andy, Peter, Steve, MX and Paul!

Best

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
                        I don't doubt that for one minute, but it just ain't going to happen. Besides, I'd need to sell another Kidney to fund it!
                        Once you are on to the third kidney for sale it is a real bugger!

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                          A very good catalogue of London in its damp and grey phase. The second set seem cleaner to me. Good luck with your competition entries Richard
                          Thanks Peter. I am not sure at the moment whether it was the light (the second set was a bit later and darker) or whether it was the lens (the first were on the 85mmL, the second on the 24-70 MkII) or a combination of factors, including processing - although I tend to have a fairly standard workflow. At the moment I am trying to take a different lens up with me each time I am in London or wherever I am travelling, on the basis that I cannot carry too many at the same time!

Best

Richard

Comment

How is that Les:

The Shard in Rain take 2 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

This one was marginally tighter so I have less room to play with the verticals, but she was much closer to me, and I have tried (in my hamfisted way) to brighten her up a bit.

Thanks also Wayne, Andy, Peter, Steve, MX and Paul!

Best

Richard
                            I still prefer the previous, in the second version, she is just one of a crowd, and the crowd becomes what the image is about (or at best it distracts from the subject).

In the first, the girl in the red coat doesn't dominate the composition, but is an integral and important part, in effect she changes an excellent study in light/shapes/lines and textures into something personal, making it a strong image.

Anyway, that's just my interpretation of what I 'see' in the image.

Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Looking at the two images side by side, could you try cropping the first a touch (bringing her right bang across the thirds), that would bring her further forward in the frame, making her a bit more prominent without the distractions of the crowd in the second?

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
                                Looking at the two images side by side, could you try cropping the first a touch (bringing her right bang across the thirds), that would bring her further forward in the frame, making her a bit more prominent without the distractions of the crowd in the second?
                                Thanks Les. I really appreciate the time you have spent commenting.

Best

Richard

Comment

Working...
                                X