A Grey Day in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Grey Day in London

I like number 3, 4 and 5 the most. Great shots!! What kind of technique did you use? Did you set those colours in processing?
    With kind regards,
    Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
      I like number 3, 4 and 5 the most. Great shots!! What kind of technique did you use? Did you set those colours in processing?
      Thanks Friso! They were all handheld. With a 5Diii you have great high ISO capabilities. The processing was all in LR5.3. I nearly always do my cropping first. In these I have tended to reduce the highlights to get a bit of definition in the sky, reduced the shadow but increased the blacks. Then I increase clarity quite a lot, increase vibrance less and reduce saturation. Then I check the noise - at ISO 5000 I usually take that to about 50 as a rule of thumb. Then I check the boxes for lens correction and straighten if I need to. I don't tend to play too much with the colours apart from vibrance and saturation (unless obviously if I am doing B&W or split toning). For all of these the AWB was set to auto and I have not changed it. I find the 5Diii seems to make pretty sensible decisions in that regard.

Hope that helps! Others will have better workflows, but that seems to work for me at the moment!

Best

Richard
      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Richard, I have loved all of your London shots, but the second set are something special again. The first set perhaps too muted and blue, but the second is spot on, you can feel the chill in the air yet the colours are still rich. And so sharp.
        For what it is worth, of the two 'woman in red coat' options I prefer her further away and alone on the walkway. But I agree with Les that she is a great component to the image (although tbh it didn't strike me until he said it).
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks Alex. I appreciate that!

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
            Thanks Friso! They were all handheld. With a 5Diii you have great high ISO capabilities. The processing was all in LR5.3. I nearly always do my cropping first. In these I have tended to reduce the highlights to get a bit of definition in the sky, reduced the shadow but increased the blacks. Then I increase clarity quite a lot, increase vibrance less and reduce saturation. Then I check the noise - at ISO 5000 I usually take that to about 50 as a rule of thumb. Then I check the boxes for lens correction and straighten if I need to. I don't tend to play too much with the colours apart from vibrance and saturation (unless obviously if I am doing B&W or split toning). For all of these the AWB was set to auto and I have not changed it. I find the 5Diii seems to make pretty sensible decisions in that regard.

Hope that helps! Others will have better workflows, but that seems to work for me at the moment!

Best

Richard
            It helps. But I wonder, did you read about this and did you do this according to a prepared plan or did you switch some buttons ... et voila... this looks very nice...
            With kind regards,
            Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
              It helps. But I wonder, did you read about this and did you do this according to a prepared plan or did you switch some buttons ... et voila... this looks very nice...
              It is something that I have worked out for myself over a period of time... For different types of photograph I have different approaches. Depends!

Not quite pushing a few buttons or sliding the sliders, but a lot of that has gone into developing what I rather grandiosely call my style!!!

Richard

Comment

Working...
              X