Looking for a 24-105L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a 24-105L

In comparison I had a 17-85 IS USM before. I'd be comparing the IQ to that.

No one seems to want to buy my Tokina lens. Some offering really stupid money for it, like £150-£250. I'm not going lower than £290 for it, and I'll sit on it for months if I need to lol. So I'm hoping the 24-105 is miles better than a 17-85 in terms of IQ.

One lesson I've learned is, I'll never buy a 3rd party lens ever again. I won't buy anything that isn't 'L' glass and buy right the first time.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
      In comparison I had a 17-85 IS USM before. I'd be comparing the IQ to that.

No one seems to want to buy my Tokina lens. Some offering really stupid money for it, like £150-£250. I'm not going lower than £290 for it, and I'll sit on it for months if I need to lol. So I'm hoping the 24-105 is miles better than a 17-85 in terms of IQ.

One lesson I've learned is, I'll never buy a 3rd party lens ever again. I won't buy anything that isn't 'L' glass and buy right the first time.
      Tokina is not that bad but I think they had their heyday in the 80's and 90's. Irrespective of optical quality, their re-sale value is always going to be depressingly low.

Gary
      www.garywhite-photography.com
      Gary White, MPhil
      Travel Photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Gary - Fulham View Post
        Tokina is not that bad but I think they had their heyday in the 80's and 90's. Irrespective of optical quality, their re-sale value is always going to be depressingly low.

Gary
        Shame too, cause it's a great lens for astro-photography and general wide angle tom foolery lol. Maybe I should just take the hit and get it over with. There's someone badgering me a lot over FB to drop it further.

We'll see...
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
          Shame too, cause it's a great lens for astro-photography and general wide angle tom foolery lol. Maybe I should just take the hit and get it over with. There's someone badgering me a lot over FB to drop it further.

We'll see...
          A quick look at ebay shows that your Tokina regularly sells for circa £300 so there's no reason why you can't get that for it (less fees of course).

I recently bought the Sigma 17-50 which I chose over the Canon equivalent, partly due to the price but mostly because it seemed as good if not better optically by all accounts, came with a much longer (3 year) warranty and I prefer the design (more compact). I'm very happy with it so far.

There's no reason not to consider 3rd party lenses. I also think 2nd hand is a good option, if you buy from one of the dealers who offer a 12 month warranty, although Camera World are selling the 24-105 new for £599 at the moment.

Comment

I bought mine (24-105) second hand around 2012 and have had only excellent results. I may be one of the lucky ones and will not consider selling it. I can't remember where I bought it from- Ebay or forum classifieds.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I was looking at this one on flea bay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Canon L-series 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM Lens at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!

Says
              IMPORT MODEL
              IN WHITE CANON FACTORY BOX ( ORIGINAL FROM 6D KIT SET) WITH 1 YEAR SELLER WARRANTY for £439.

Anyone any thoughts on this

Is this worth buying
              Last edited by 2Beers; 27-02-2014, 22:47.
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
                ....Anyone any thoughts on this
                Aye, he got for less than that from me and I hope he is happy with it
                Bob Turner
                Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Alex, I would be happy to buy it at the advertised price. I can't praise my 24-105 enough. It is the one lens I will hang to, even if I had sell all my other lenses.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I have one coming from HDEW next week. Very much looking forward to trying it out as it's' predecessor was the 28-135. EF lens.
                    Tap tap tap...

Comment

When buying one of these beauties you do have to consider the total-cost-of-ownership, whilst the capital-cost may appear affordable, or even reasonable and justifiable, you must consider that the total-cost-of-ownership is likley to be higher, much higher.

A 24-105 is a typical first "L" lens, but once you've seen the light, experienced how wholesomely good this glass is and experienced the righteousness of ownership, it is unlikely to be your last "L" purchase, it's just the first step down the precipitous slope of the quest for ever improving image-quality and speed. Once you start along this track be prepared to invest further, at the expense of family and friends, ever increasing amounts in this never-ending quest. A wider-L, a longer-L, a faster-L, a Macro-L, they'll all relentlessly beckon you towards their red-ringed (or off-white) goodness with scant regard for your well-being or contentment.

Today an import 24-105mm, next year a 200-400 f/4....

Think carefully before you embark on the journey
                      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
                        Aye, he got for less than that from me and I hope he is happy with it
                        Indeed I am very happy with it. So much so that I don't think I'll need to buy any more lenses. The 24-105 on the 1D3 is a match made in heaven.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Interesting to see this thread pop up again as I've just received a copy of another magazine (cough) and there is comparison of the Sigma and Canon 24-105. Think one think that might have Canon ahead a bit is the Sigma isn't weather sealed IIRC.

Not had chance to read as just flicked through mag before I left for work. I'll read tonight and see what the conclusions are and post some info.
                          Kind of expecting each lens to be better/worse in different areas. It will be interesting to see if what is a relatively old lens design stands up to a new pretender.
                          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

There was few benefits for me with regards to the Sigma. Plus it cost £200 more, it had more Chromatic Aberrations in the edges and albeit it was sharper in the centre by a fraction I don't see how anyone but hipsters would need to buy it over the Canon.

I've no idea what all the fuss is about over this ART series from Sigma. The only one I'd want would be the 35mm 1.4. Not just that, you need to pay £65 for the dock to calibrate the lens too.
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                              When buying one of these beauties you do have to consider the total-cost-of-ownership, whilst the capital-cost may appear affordable, or even reasonable and justifiable, you must consider that the total-cost-of-ownership is likley to be higher, much higher.

A 24-105 is a typical first "L" lens, but once you've seen the light, experienced how wholesomely good this glass is and experienced the righteousness of ownership, it is unlikely to be your last "L" purchase, it's just the first step down the precipitous slope of the quest for ever improving image-quality and speed. Once you start along this track be prepared to invest further, at the expense of family and friends, ever increasing amounts in this never-ending quest. A wider-L, a longer-L, a faster-L, a Macro-L, they'll all relentlessly beckon you towards their red-ringed (or off-white) goodness with scant regard for your well-being or contentment.

To take this a bit further perhaps, there are some excellent non L lenses which one can buy- such as the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 lens and the 50mm f1.4, which are brilliant lenses. I have the 50mm f1.4 and once again I must say that it is a belter. Bought that one after reading members comments here.

As for the 200-400mmL and beyond that, I first think of a "world cruise", seeing and visiting different part of this "magical" world and making "do" with the equipment you already have.

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post

Oh dear. Perhaps I should have considered more when I got mine a fortnight ago (ex-demo from HDEW since you ask). Perhaps more importantly, would someone mind explaining the inevitability of all of this to MrsR?
                                Canon EOS 7D
                                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                                X