Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a 24-105L

Hey folks,

It's you're very own Mr Swapalensevery4months.

As you know, I've swapped a few lenses recently. Well, I'm at it again.

I'm selling my Tokina 11-16 MKII 2.8 - I knew it would vignette on the 1D3 before I got the 1D3 but the reason I'm selling it is because I really miss the focal length of the 17-85 I had, and the 24-105 will fit perfectly for me.

Having had the use of the Tokina I realised that ultra-wide angle really isn't for me. I was never really happy with the squashed results, and much prefer a more 1:1 reproduction in landscape if that's even possible. Plus, the 24-105 seems like a great everyday lens.

1. Is there anything I should watch out for?
    2. White box is the kit lens, and black is the retail box, but they are the same lens?
    3. Does it matter when the lens was made?

What I've trying to avoid is buying another lens only to find it's not going to fit well, and someone later turning round and saying "Yeah that's why I got rid of mine" or "You should have saved more for the 24-70"

Any advice is welcome of course.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Looking for a 24-105L

Hi Paul, have a 24-105 which I use on my 60D and its probably my most used lens when just wandering about. Of course being on crop sensor range is a bit different than on FF.

Bought mine from HDEW and this was 'white boxed' and I registered at Canon no problem so guessing its a kit lens that's been separated from a body.

Hopefully some fellow FF users with give you some comments as well.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

1. Is there anything I should watch out for?
      The 24-105 seems a pretty solid lens, Roger at Lens Rentals recently mentioned they have very few issues with them.

2. White box is the kit lens, and black is the retail box, but they are the same lens?
      Yes

3. Does it matter when the lens was made?
      You don't want a REALLY early one as they had a flare issue (well, maybe if they could show it had been back to Canon to get fixed).
      It is possible there have been small improvements over the years, but changes are usually just for obsolete components or manufacturing ease. A lower-use one might be better as the mechanical bits might be less used.

John

Comment

Cheers for the replies folks. Pretty much certain to get one I guess. I'll be keeping it forever so white box, black box makes no difference to me if they are the same lens. Having the box is really only cool if you are selling it on.

I did read something about flare issues on units built before 2006 I think. I wonder if most retail units these days brand new will be later versions.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Forum member Bawbee has one in the classified section on here for sale
          1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
          Facebook
          www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Paul, yeah I've spoke to Bob about his. I'd need to sell my lens first to buy that one. One guy pm'd me this morning with this.

"Hi, I noticed your lens is a third party. I think you are asking too much as this is not supported by Canon. I offer £200"

I'm still gob smacked
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
              Cheers Paul, yeah I've spoke to Bob about his. I'd need to sell my lens first to buy that one. One guy pm'd me this morning with this.

"Hi, I noticed your lens is a third party. I think you are asking too much as this is not supported by Canon. I offer £200"

I'm still gob smacked
              What? Some people just like to try it on or are genuinely thick
              1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
              Facebook
              www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

A couple of issues you need to watch for, the two (new) 24-105 lenses I had vignetted quite badly wide open at F4. I don't think this is a common problem , but worth watching out for.
                Second is lens creep (mentioned in a previous thread), if I was carrying the lens over my shoulder with the lens pointing down, it generally happened.
                And if you do get the lens, make sure you switch IS off shooting long exposures on a tripod.
                Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Mine was white box from Hdew and is great. I'm thinking of selling if I get the 24-70 as I can't see why I would need both. If you want to try it for a while I'd be happy to send it.
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

• Slight vignetting at 24mm (easily corrected in ACR)
                    • Some barrel distortion, most noticeable at 24mm (again, easily corrected in ACR)
                    • Barrel creep, as already mentioned
                    • CA visible in some situations (again, correctable)

However, none of the above would put me off buying this lens again.
                    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Just for info, I have received an offer for my FS gear from MPB today and I will be accepting this evening, so......
                      Bob Turner
                      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Paul, the 24-105's a good lens but does suffer from a potential iris-diaphragm cable fault which would make me steer clear of second hand ones as you wouldn't be sure of their history. It's also not Canon's sharpest lens (though it is still bloomin' good, particularly over the wider half of its range). Sigma's new 24-105 is by all accounts very good, and may be a good buy? Being one of their latest lenses you should also be able to tweak the AF to suit your set-up using the USB Dock.

As for cheeky punters, you can't blame him for trying Having said that, I usually expect to realise around 55% of the new price on a third-party lens, so I don't think he was that far off the mark.
                        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Cheers for all the info. While the Sigma is supposed to be sharper, it is way more expensive and apparently has more CA. I like the docking idea but the dock costs £60 more on top.

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
                          Just for info, I have received an offer for my FS gear from MPB today and I will be accepting this evening, so......
                          That's a shame. Wish I had tried to move this lens sooner. I'd have snapped yours up by now.
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Well, I'll be following you very shortly as am intending to get one next month; just shuffling some funds around. My current plan is to avoid 2nd hand because of the well documented diaphragm issue, but anyway HDEW is currently offering it cheaper than somewhere I've seen it 2nd hand. And white box doesn't bother me as I've heard such good things about this company (to which I have no connection, btw).
                            Will follow your experience with interest.
                            Canon EOS 7D
                            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Re: AndyA's comments. I would agree with all these. I got one of the very first 24-105s when they were first released (late 2005) and there was a firestorm of discontent with users, with Canon denying all problems and saying they 'didn't make lenses that weren't sharp'. But Canon quietly made some changes without saying anything. A friendly pro dealer changed mine. The early ones vignetted terribly wide open on the (then new) EOS 5D and CA was a problem across the range. But the later models seemed better but by no means perfect. So, if you by second hand, check the age. However, having said that, my 24-105 is certainly my most used lens an full frame cameras. I try to avoid using f4, which is quite soft. Apart from that it is a very useful lens and my main practical criticism is the lack of a zoom lock switch. Gary
                              www.garywhite-photography.com
                              Gary White, MPhil
                              Travel Photographer

Comment

Working...
                              X