EF 40mm f2.8 STM pancake lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF 40mm f2.8 STM pancake lens

Have pretty much convinced myself to buy this lens this weekend, as it looks like a win-win situation. Any last minute views / reviews?

Thanks in advance

Gary
    www.garywhite-photography.com
    Gary White, MPhil
    Travel Photographer

Re: EF 40mm f2.8 STM pancake lens

For: light, compact, high IQ, decent build, pretty cheap
    Against: slowish, 40mm a bit of an odd focal length on APS-C sensors

Fits in any available bit of space, makes a very compact kit with a body, thoroughly decent lens. Nothing like it for the money.
    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

I want to love it, but can't bring myself to. It's just too "normal", and too small
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Great for street photography as it is very unobtrusive but it is a bit slow on my 7D
        David

Comment

I too have been looking to get one of these lenses. The size is ideal for carrying as a "spare" lens. My only concern is that there do seem to be a great number for sale second hand. It seems that you can pick up an excellent quality example for £85 or so. This has me wondering why so many are selling their nearly new copies if the lens is as good as everyone says!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarawak View Post
            I too have been looking to get one of these lenses. The size is ideal for carrying as a "spare" lens. My only concern is that there do seem to be a great number for sale second hand. It seems that you can pick up an excellent quality example for £85 or so. This has me wondering why so many are selling their nearly new copies if the lens is as good as everyone says!
            Two reasons - 40mm f2.8. It falls a bit into no-man's land on APS-C, and it's not that fast. For me, it's ideal on my 6D, where it makes perfect sense as (a) tiny, (b) close to a true standard focal length, and (c) high ISO deals with it being a bit slower. Less useful on APS-C, although I quite like it - with adapter - on the M.
            Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarawak View Post
              The size is ideal for carrying as a "spare" lens. My only concern is that there do seem to be a great number for sale second hand. It seems that you can pick up an excellent quality example for £85 or so. This has me wondering why so many are selling their nearly new copies if the lens is as good as everyone says!
              I nearly bought one and then thought "why"? I guess people get them as it has a good reputation and is cheap enough to have a try. But actually most people have a 50 which is faster so once the novelty wears off they sell them on as it doesn't get used.
              TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I think most people bought this lens out of curiosity and once the newness/curiosity of this lens disappeared,it is being sold off, many in almost mint condition. That being said, I would buy this lens as it is nice little prime lens to take with you on your travels. It is is best on a FF and ditto Nickorando's comments above.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                  I think most people bought this lens out of curiosity and once the newness/curiosity of this lens disappeared,it is being sold off, many in almost mint condition. That being said, I would buy this lens as it is nice little prime lens to take with you on your travels. It is is best on a FF and ditto Nickorando's comments above.
                  Mine is now coming today, £120 from Amazon. I will be using mine with the 6D not my 7D or 70D.
                  Gary White, MPhil
                  Travel Photographer

Comment

I bought mine when they 1st came out. It is a great little lens that use on my 5DMKII, on the EOS-M and the SL1. With the cropped sensor, it is almost equivalent to having a 50mm on a FF camera. And for travel it is very light and compact.

Tom

Comment

I bought mine as it's basically the equivalent to my 20/1.7 on m43. A small, light, fairly fast (optically) good quality lens that's handily a bit wider than a 50 but not so far as a 35. I will say my first one was a dud though... I thought "is this what you get for £150?" but the second one is great.

It means I can have a standard size lens in my bag when I'm humping a lot of weight in non-standard focal lengths and don't want to add a standard zoom to the load to cope with something interesting cropping up at a more "normal" distance.

I think the overall IQ is better at f2.8-f4 than any of the 50s, mainly as the edges are good for sharpness, there is low CA, low distortion and low flare - even the bokeh is okay. It does vignette though (plus older bodies won't be able to correct for it so need to shoot Raw).

Corner crops:

I will agree it doesn't make so much sense on a crop sensor, being tight but not telephoto. It depends what you like though.

Comment

_MG_1588.jpg
                        Here's one of my first shots today when I went for a walk along the Thames. ISO 'L' @ f2.8. Ideal with 6D. Very happy with IQ. Focussing no great shakes but I am not going to use this lens for motorsports

_MG_1583.jpg

The Harrods building has come out well too, little sign of CA
                        Gary White, MPhil
                        Travel Photographer

Comment

Loved it on my 5D MkII. I think it is best on a full frame camera where it is close to the 35mm I have always loved and also similar to my phone camera. I no longer have my 5D but am thinking of getting a 6D and it will be great with it. Even on a 1.6 cropped sensor it can make a nice little short tele for portraits. If you are used to zooming then using a prime may seem restrictive. I have taken it out as a lightweight, slightly wide lens I can carry in my pocket when I am out with a long tele. I bought mine with some gift tokens as I wanted to buy something I didn't have and would probably not have bought for myself. I have found it much more useful than I expected and it is well worth buying in my opinion.

Comment

An interesting point (well, to me anyway) is DXO measured the focal length at 43.1mm, which is almost exactly the diagonal of a FF sensor. Hence it could certainly claim to be a "normal" lens.

Comment

More or less decided to buy one of these pancake things, then WEX started their 10% off offer on Friday - decision made. Look forward to it turning up.

Comment

Working...
                              X