Beat the judges at their own game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beat the judges at their own game.

As some of you know from my previous demo, I am doing a lecture at my camera club on adding polish to photos and take away any negatives, so that judges can only have a positive opinion. Sub-titled, turning 7's into 10's.

Most of that will involved fairly simple applications of levels, contrast, cloning and colour correction, showing before and after shots, so the audience can appreciate the difference. I very much prefer to use only what was in the shot to start with, but I know that the question will come up about changing skies, so for the sake of completeness, I thought I would put in a demo of the effect of changing skies.

Many thanks to Chris for showing me the screen grabbing commands for a Mac, which has been used to good effect on this demo.

Here is the starting shot. It would have been quite good with a decent sky, but it was fairly light to start with and to get the correct exposure for the Kites, it was inevitably going to burn out:

Colin

Re: Beat the judges at their own game.

Colin

Comment

Colin

Comment

This is the final result and quite a difference from our starting point. Whether it is a 10 or not, is down to the individual Judge on the day, but it is a significant improvement on the start image.

Colin

Comment

Wow very nice Colin
          1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
          Facebook
          www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Excellent Colin
            Chris
            Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Well done explanation Colin

Tom

Comment

Nice one Colin
                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Excellent Colin your turning into a veritable 1 man photoshop Guru
                  Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Very good Colin and a great explanation of the steps, I hope the talk goes well

Comment

I'm loving these tutorials Colin. Thanks for putting the effort in.

Comment

Another thank you. Me too.
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Reminds me to take some sky shots for future use. Would have been good for my ring necked parakeets I think

Stan
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Reminds me to take some sky shots for future use.
                            I try so very hard to only use what was in the shot to start with, or go back and take the shot again in better light etc., but sometimes you just can't. What do you do if you have a very good image, with a dead sky and no opportunity to re-shoot?

Sometimes you are only left with two options:

• Delete the shot.
                            • Import a sky.

I am continually on the look out for different skies. Not just the perfect "Chocolate Box" skies with the sun behind you, but every type of sky from the dark and foreboding, to bland and side lit, to against the light. I also use different lenses for the same sky, from wide, to standard and telephoto.

If you are going to import a sky, it must be believable, with the light coming from a similar angle and taken with a similar lens as the main subject.
                            Colin

Comment

this is so good colin ,and enthralling ,not quite sure how to layer the two different shots together though ,i run a modern i-mac and have aperture 3 and cs6 ,and a slightly more detailed explanation might help us befuddled o.a.p's .
                              this would definitely help with some of my shots .keep this up ,waiting for the next update .

Comment

Working...
                              X