Do you need a telescope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you need a telescope?

After my recent foray into Astrophotography, last night I thought I'd go back to basics with just a telephoto-lens and see how that compares with a telescope on something relatively easy Astrophoto-wise, the Orion Nebula, M42.

Here's an image taken through my Sigma 150-500mm tele-zoom at 500mm, with an EOS 6D, both mounted on a telescope tracking mount so that I didn't get star-trails during the 1 minute exposures.

I took 57 x 1 minute exposures at f/8 ISO800 and stacked them using a piece of software called Nebulosity. The same software was used to de-noise the images, using a technique called dark-frame subtraction, whereby you take a number (twenty in this case) of dark images with the lens cap on, average them to determine where any "hot" pixels are located and whether you have any non-random noise, and then subtract this noise-information from each of the original captures.

Nebulosity then "stretches" the images dynamic range in a fashion akin to Photoshop's levels adjustments, so that the minute differences between the darkest and lightest areas of the image are stretched to utilise a much greater proportion of the histogram (exaggerating small differences so they become visible). I then used Lightroom to crop, adjust, sharpen and tidy the images, and finally the oft-maligned Photomatix to pullout even more detail from the image.

Below the tele-zoom image is the previous weekend's telescope image for comparison. Considering that the tele-zoom image was captured with the half-moon pretty close, washing-out the sky, I'm pretty pleased with the result! The fine-detail isn't so obvious, and the colours are far more muted, but overall I'm pleased with how much has been captured with basic equipment :)

EOS 6D, Sigma 150-500mm @ 500mm, 57 x 1 min @ f/8 ISO800

M42 Sigma by S.J.P, on Flickr

EOS 6D, Celestron 750mm focal-length telescope, 40 x 1 min @ f/5 ISO800

M42 Tonemapped by S.J.P, on Flickr
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Re: Do you need a telescope?

Wow! That's a great result with fairly basic equipment. Thanks for sharing your process. I'd love to give this a try when I get my hands on some longer lenses.
    Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Wow - excellent photography and a super image. I don't own a 6D but I hear they do suffer (like most DSLR's) from some read out noise which would be easily removed by adding some bias frames to you schedule. Great work - hope you post up lots more
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Stunning work!

Papa.

Comment

Terrific images and many thanks for the explanation - must dig my 300mm lens and 1.4 out.

David

Comment

Two terrific images Steve, wow
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Marvellous but, I would need a tracking mount - where from and how much? Please also send me all the knowledge and experience needed to know where to point the thing and how many exposures to take.

I am already eagerly waiting by the letterbox, in anticipation of the second one.
              Colin

Comment

You did well with the 150-500 Steve, but the colour is quite odd

I'm also confused as to how you got radial diffraction spikes around the brighter stars.

I'm assuming that your Celestron scope is a Newtonian, and as such the diffraction spikes in that image, are quite normal, being created by the 'spider' that supports the secondary mirror.

All that said, I think it demonstrates very nicely what can be achieved without a telescope, on the larger and brighter deep-sky objects.

Nice work indeed

Dave
                Dave

Comment

Stunning shots from both the #1 lens version and #2 the Celestron telescope version.

Paul
                  EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                  Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I am very much interested as well and it was one of the reason to buy my Remote TC. Raj
                    Raj
                    Flickr

Comment

Excellent work.

Tom

Comment

@colin C

You're right, a tracking-mount is the key to astro-photography, but think of it like am extremely sturdy motorised tripod with a gimble-head and then they're really not too expensive Of course, if you think of them as a set of tubular steel legs, a couple of bearings, and two lego-motors then they're ridiculously expensive They're also far cleverer than your common-all-garden photography tripod in that they know where everything interesting is located, so tell it where you are and what the time is, and in the press of a couple of buttons the tripod moves itself off to align with whatever you've selected - magic!

As for the knowledge and experience, I'm afraid that comes with experience and knowledge

@Dave_S

The colour is a bit off - even more so from my PC at work. I'm not sure why it's so green, my processing was similar for both : RAW images, auto-background, debayer, auto-colour etc. The only differences I can think may account for the colour cast are the proximity of the moon and the lack of a light-pollution filter on the Sigma image.

As for the sun-stars, I think they're a feature of the Sigma's 9-bladed diaphragm giving an eighteen point star which is made more noticeable by the processing.
                        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Super shots Steve

stan
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                            I don't own a 6D but I hear they do suffer (like most DSLR's) from some read out noise which would be easily removed by adding some bias frames to you schedule
                            I've not tried bias-frames (or lights) so far, maybe I should give it a go, being short-exposures they're nice and quick to complete :)

Comment

Fascinating images Steve

I've never really been into the stars and planets thing
                              Surprising really as my head is full of space

Mike
                              www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Working...
                              X