Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ND10 Filters

Hi folks,
    Can anyone recommend either a circular ND10 grad, a P-series or a variable circular Filter? I'm looking to try long exposures of seascapes, not wanting to spend a huge amount, but maybe a reasonably priced filter to try out.
    I did see a Polaroid 67mm variable ND for £30 off Amazon, reviews were positive.
    Any advice and pointers most welcome.
    Dougie

Canon eos-7d, eos-350d. 18-135mm EFS f/4, Canon 50mm f/2.8, Canon 70-300mm f/5.6 USM, Tamron 90mm f/1.8, Sigma 10-20mm f/4, Sigma 150-500mm f/5.6 DG OS HSM, Speedlite 430 EXll.

Re: ND10 Filters

I assume the "grad" bit was a typo?

I would recommend the Light Craft Workshop ones; I have both a fixed and a variable one, there's no colour cast and no discernable loss of sharpness - available at Premier Ink: http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photogr...0_365_790.html

Not the very cheapest, but almost certainly the best value for money, as I think they're pretty much as good as the very best.
    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

I use B+W 10 stoppers, and I find them excellent.

AP did a round up of a few 10 stop filters here:-

Using 10 stoppers is not the easiest technique to master , apart from the period of setting up, stable tripod etc, it's gauging when a 10 stopper will work best.

But once you get all of these variables sussed, the results can be very rewarding.
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thank you for the feedback Gents, yes Nicko, apologies for the typo, I am also looking at 0.6 & 0.9 grad filters along with the ND10 and got a little carried away.
        I did read the AP reviews prior to logging onto here. Will hope to make a purchase over the next few days.
        Thanks folks :-)
        Dougie

Canon eos-7d, eos-350d. 18-135mm EFS f/4, Canon 50mm f/2.8, Canon 70-300mm f/5.6 USM, Tamron 90mm f/1.8, Sigma 10-20mm f/4, Sigma 150-500mm f/5.6 DG OS HSM, Speedlite 430 EXll.

Comment

I don't know what these are like but they seem to get good reviews and if you are looking to get into using filters might be a good taster set. Plus you get the adapter rings and filter holder which is compatible with the Cokin P series filters. I might even invest in a set of these when I get paid next.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Square-Gradu...ref=pd_cp_ce_0
          1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
          Facebook
          www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

I have various square ND filters including a big stopper but recently have been using a screw in variable ND from SRB. Quite cheap but effective

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              I have various square ND filters including a big stopper but recently have been using a screw in variable ND from SRB. Quite cheap but effective

Stan
              That looks like a good option, I'll have to look at that as an option myself.
              Andy

Comment

I was on the SRB website after seeing their stall at the Edinburgh Photovision on Tuesday. They look a good option, once again, thank you all for the feedback :-)
                Dougie

Comment

The advantage, I found, of a variable ND, is that you can set it to the minimum, allowing enough light through to be able to frame the scene and autofocus, switch to manual focus and then turn the filter to the required number of stops

Stan

flickr

Comment

Hi Stan, do you get the dreaded dark cross with the SRB variable filter as I was interested in a variable N.D but from what I read they tended to give the dark cross so wasnt sure whether to just get a fixed filter

Kind Regards
                    Gordon

Comment

do you get the dreaded dark cross with the SRB variable filter as I was interested in a variable N.D but from what I read they tended to give the dark cross so wasnt sure whether to just get a fixed filter
                      not had that happen - see this thread of the old pier which was shot using it

Stan

flickr

Comment

not had that happen - see this thread of the old pier which was shot using it

Stan
                        Thanks Stan, I'm impressed the pier photo doesnt seem to exhibit any darkening, a good image, do you not get any adverse effects at any setting on the filter or is it fairly consistent throughout, as for the money it looks a good buy

Kind Regards
                        Gordon

Comment

Cheers Gordon

I have not really used it at intermediate settings as I got it really for the extreme end. At the price it's well worth a punt

Stan

flickr

Comment

The advantage, I found, of a variable ND, is that you can set it to the minimum, allowing enough light through to be able to frame the scene and autofocus, switch to manual focus and then turn the filter to the required number of stops

Stan
                            That's smart think, I like the idea of this filter more and more.
                            Andy
                            Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Working...
                            X