Travel lens for Canon 6D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel lens for Canon 6D

I am looking for a travel lens covering a range from say 18mm to 300mm for my FF 6D. The main consideration is weight. I do not wish to take more than one lens, one camera body plus my compact G15. Budget up to say £300 or a bit more!

Many thanks

Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Travel lens for Canon 6D

It would have to be an EF (or equivalent) lens as the 6D is full-frame.
    I can not think of just one lens (for a FF body) that covers the 18-300mm range which is also light, inexpensive and produces acceptable images.
    I will have to have a hard think but would suggest 2 lenses to cover the focal range.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Look no further than the Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD. Don't think it's going to win awards on IQ though.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
        Look no further than the Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD. Don't think it's going to win awards on IQ though.
        But that won't fit on the 6D!

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
          But that won't fit on the 6D!
          In that case it was the worst suggestion known to man lol
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

With any "super zoom" image quality is always going to be a compromise. Its not really worth considering anything over a 3 to 4 times zoom - picked up from a professional tog on a forum a while ago

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Have had a think.
              You have the 24-105mm f/4L IS which should be plenty wide enough on the 6D.
              Add the Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens which will give the additional reach you want (about £280).
              This is the VC version (image stabiliser).

hope it helps
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I think you'd have to go APS-C for that range Nat. The longest range I've seen is the 28-300 - http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/can...FY_HtAodJhwAKw

I'd hazard a guess that going down to 18mm on an EF Zoom is not going to be cheap...
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Well if you are taking the G15 that covers the wide end. So just pack your 70-200 (and the 1.4x) for the 6D. It's always going to be a compromise carting kit, it's weight, convenience, IQ, etc etc.

Comment

I'd just take the 24-105. Or just the pancake and try a reportage style holiday and see how it goes. It depends on where you are going and what you want to shoot. If it's a safari scratch that suggestion!

If weight is becoming an issue a more radical solution might be to sell up and go CSC.
                    TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Nathaniel ................. stop faffin about!

You have one of the finest quality bodies available with the 6D and you are considering putting a "shagnasty" convenience lens, of mediocre quality on it? No, no and thrice no!!!

If you are restricting yourself to one lens, take your very fine 24 - 105mm. If you need more wide angle, take a couple of steps back. More telephoto, a couple of steps forward. Remember your days of film where you only had a standard 50mm and took all of your holiday photo's on that. Now you have the luxury of 24 - 105mm and if you need anything longer, take the 70 - 200mm and the 1.4x.

Failing that, it's the Canon EF 28- 300mm f3.5 - 5.6L IS USM, at close to £2,000 and at 1,670 grams, nearly 3 times the weight of your 24 - 105mm.
                      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                        Well if you are taking the G15 that covers the wide end. So just pack your 70-200 (and the 1.4x) for the 6D. It's always going to be a compromise carting kit, it's weight, convenience, IQ, etc etc.
                        I think this would be the best option. You are never going to get the 'perfect option' without some form of compromise. As MX5 says, the 24-105/70-200 option seems like the best. I would say the last thing you need is more/additional gear.
                        Last edited by kelly200269; 26-03-2014, 02:13.
                        1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

I'd be tempted to take 2 lenses rather than one superzoom. I have the 6D - I'd be tempted to take the 24-105L and another 70-300 lens - one of the light weight Sigma APO lenses might work if you don't want to take a heavy Canon lens.
                          Another possibility - though expensive and heavy - is the Canon 28-300L IS - though it is f5.6 at the long end.

Gary
                          www.garywhite-photography.com
                          Gary White, MPhil
                          Travel Photographer

Comment

Thanks for all your advice guys. I thought that were a Tamron 28mm- 250 or something for the full frame; I have forgotten the exact range? Anyone know the exact specs?

I know the weight issue is slowly becoming a problem but not too difficult at the moment as I keep regular visits to the gym as a premium plan for me plus of course the "spinach"! However, I know that I had a lot of shoulder problem last year after my trip to Sri lanka that had to be sorted via ultra sound treatment etc.
                            Last edited by Nathaniel; 26-03-2014, 09:50.
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

What about the Canon PowerShot SX50 HS. I don't know how good it is but it does have an optical zoom range of 24-1200mm.

Comment

Working...
                              X