CPS in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CPS in Europe

Sorry, I've been sick for the past several days and have been slow to respond--still sick, actually. Millie, I didn't feel slighted by your comment. My comment about the plastic card was somewhat facetious. Even if there was card to prove that one is a professional photographer, what would it get one anyway? Proof of being a photographer is not the same as a press pass. Canon has decided that if someone has bought several high-end cameras and lenses from them, they're an advanced customer. That coupled with the application declaring oneself as a professional is enough proof for them. The only other thing that they could do is ask to see financial records to prove one has an income from photography. I would guess that no one would give them that, so they don't ask. To me, if someone says they're a professional photographer, I believe them. By the way, I'm not a professional photographer.

I hope I was coherent. If I wasn't, I may edit or amend my comments later when I don't have a high fever. Alright, back to bed for me.

-Russell
    Last edited by russelljtdyer; 11-04-2010, 23:48.

Comment

Well, I just re-registered today and had to trawl through my files to dig-out the serial numbers and purchase dates. Woo-Hoo, I am now a Gold member ;) Fortunately since originally registering I have not had to call upon the fast-turnaround for repairs or the loan service, because nothing has broken. Has anyone put it to the test?

There is some interesting reading in the (glossy, high quality) CPN magazine, so one could say that it is worth registering just for that.
      Regards,
      Keith (M)
      LRPS

My Monochrome Site
      Street Life Album
      Photography Home Page

Comment

That for me is the only thing worth registering for! A free magazine with nice images that I don't read :)

THe CPS is a repair service - nothing more nothing less. Not a "Professional Service" as such. I can see it being useful to few rather than the many.

I am (was) a member but my 20D is no longer counted. When I get my 5DII I'll be able to register again. Hope to get that soon......

Actually thought of jumping ship no Noink but was going to cost me slightly too much! Not that I dislike Canon - just feel I'm missing something. 5DII should sort that.
        Last edited by EOS_Jim; 17-04-2010, 02:49.
        5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

The 20D is a super camera, but in the light of recent developments, the screen is a bit small, no sensor cleaning and ISO performance isn't that clever, but within in those limitations, it still produces some cracking shots.

However the 5D MKII is on a different planet. You start using one of those puppies and close friends will think you are a gibbering idiot, because all you will keep saying is WOW!

Is it on order yet?

Colin
          Last edited by colin C; 17-04-2010, 23:37.
          Colin

Comment

Yes the 20D is a very good backuo camera to my 40D. 70-200 on the 20D has produced some of my favourite images.

THe 5D is not on order just yet.... Was thinking 7d or 5d and a tough decision. A 5DII with the 7D AF and I wouldnt thing twice!

Jim
            5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_Jim View Post
              A 5DII with the 7D AF and I wouldnt thing twice!

Jim
              That is a tough call. Still or slow to medium movement and it has to be the 5D MKII. Medium to fast movement and it goes to the 7D.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

You know what makes me mad about the CPS in Europe, they don't cover Europe fully, I live and work as a photographer in Poland and when i tried to register with CPS they told me that Poland isn't covered, do they think there are no Canon products or photographers in Poland???
                Anyway when i used my address in the UK they automatically registard me as a member within 10 minutes of entering my UK address
                2 x 5D MKII with grips, 16-35 L, 24-70 L, 24-105 L IS, 70-200 L F2.8, 100-400 L IS, 85 L F1.2, TS-E 24 L, TS-E 90, MP-E 65, 2 x 580EX, M80 Viewer, 2x Canon Converter

Comment

Good for you Paul. When you come up against red tape ............ cheat!

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Paul,

I feel the same frustration here in Italy. I'm from the U.S. and have credit cards from the U.S. However, most of the on-line stores in the U.K. won't ship to Italy. They don't trust Italians and they're worried about being cheated. Me telling them that I'm not Italian and that I have a credit card from the U.S. but just want the merchandise shipped to an alternate address in Italy only makes them less inclined to trust me.

Thank goodness Amazon.co.uk started shipping to Italy and many other European countries a few months ago. I also use Calumet's site--they ship to the mainland if you talk to them on the phone first. I've tried using ebay, but many of the UK sellers won't ship outside the U.K. Oddly enough, I bought something from one seller in Surrey who took over a month to ship it out and then sent me the wrong item. After several email attempts, they responded telling me to send it back and they'd replace it with the correct one. After three months, I still don't have the item I ordered. So, from my experience, I should think that U.K. vendors aren't always to be trusted. But it doesn't deter me in the least from shopping in the U.K.

Incidentally, I would use Italian on-line stores, but most Italians don't seem to have quite figured out the web yet. The few stores that have an on-line presence are very over priced and their web sites aren't very functional. They're where we were in the U.S. about fifteen years ago: the internet is a novelty for them which leads to one order every few months that they marvel at.

-Russell

Comment

Working...
                    X