Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon 200mm F2.8 L Lens

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
    Simple question: We all know the rule about the speed and focal length - ie 1/200 for a 200mm lens.

Does that mean for a 1.6 it means 1/320 for a 200mm?
    When I got my first EOS and started learning I found Andrew Gibson's books really helpful. I believe he writes for EOS Magazine and it was through his books I found this site. Now he DOES say the shutter speed calculation on APS-C would be different to FF. Here's a couple of very small extracts:

If you are using an APS-C camera then a general guide is to invert the focal length of the lens, find the nearest shutter speed, then halve it. For example, if you are taking a photo with the 55mm end of a kit lens:
    1. Invert the focal length: 1/55
    2. Find the nearest shutter speed: 1/60 second
    3. Halve it: 1/125 second. (1/60 x 1/2 = 120)
    If you own a full-frame camera such as the EOS 5D Mark III or 6D, then you have more
    leeway with shutter speeds. Using the inverse should be fine. So, if you were using a
    50mm prime lens on a full-frame camera a shutter speed of 1/60 second should be
    plenty fast enough to prevent camera shake.
    If there are any beginners out there looking for a good place to start to understand your EOS camera then I can thoroughly recommend his ebooks.
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

The Canon 200mm f/2.8L lens is one that many ignore.
      I used the 200mm f/2.8L II lens back in 2009 together with the Canon 5D mkII with excellent results.
      The lens also works well with the x1.4 and x2.0 Canon extenders whilst still maintaining auto focus (f/4 and f/5.6).

Today (2014) the IQ of the EF 200mm f/2.8L II is on par with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS zoom at 200mm focal length (no noticeable difference).
      The big difference is the price tag; the 200mm f/2.8L II prime is something like £1300 less expensive than the 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS zoom lens plus almost half the weight (765g vs 1490g).
      If you shoot mainly at 200mm then this lens will not let you down.
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

The Mk I is just as good optically - the difference is just that it has a built-in hood. Had mine for years, and love it.
        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Canon 200mm F2.8 L Lens

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
          The Canon 200mm f/2.8L lens is one that many ignore.
          I used the 200mm f/2.8L II lens back in 2009 together with the Canon 5D mkII with excellent results.
          The lens also works well with the x1.4 and x2.0 Canon extenders whilst still maintaining auto focus (f/4 and f/5.6).

Today (2014) the IQ of the EF 200mm f/2.8L II is on par with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS zoom at 200mm focal length (no noticeable difference).
          The big difference is the price tag; the 200mm f/2.8L II prime is something like £1300 less expensive than the 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS zoom lens plus almost half the weight (765g vs 1490g).
          If you shoot mainly at 200mm then this lens will not let you down.
          I’m interested in this lens I’m taking photos from away such as at a tennis match . I’m seating up on the bleachers and may not always be on the front row . For front row photos I’ve been using my canon EF 17-40 mm f/4L USM ultra wide zoom lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Freefaller View Post
            I'll second the positive reviews above. Great bit of kit - really sharp. Also unobtrusive, even with a 1.4x on to make it a 280 f/4. The alternative to this is the 300 f/4L. More expensive, large and bright white, but it does have a 2 stop IS.

Like the build quality too, nice and solid. The only downside is the weight. But the only other 200m prime I've ever used was the Olympus OM system Zuiko 200 f/5, which was much smaller & lighter....
            Are you saying the weight of the 300 f/4L? I’m interested in the 200 mm f/2.8L ll.

What’s the benefit vs the 80-200mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X