My website -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My website -

Over the past few months I've been putting my website together for potential wedding and portrait customers, and I'd like some comments and criticisms please!

www.barryforshawphotography.com

It's pretty low key at the moment, and I plan to do a small number of shoots around other work. Hopefully the website will grow and develop as I get more jobs and I can make the transition to full time photography. I've got some big plans for the rest of this year in terms of content and I want to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

I'd like views on the navigation, how fast the site and images load, and anything else you can think of. I can take constructive criticism so please be truthful.

Thanks for your time!
    Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Re: My website -

Hi Barry - I will put my head above the parapet as you have asked for some comments!
    Just a couple of things from me - the strap line (I think that is what it is called) is a bit feint and at present the links to galleries/photos are not working on my laptop (running xp)
    I think you should have a privacy policy on the site, together with terms and conditions, and the front page should show the cookie policy you have adopted.
    Hope that is of some help.
    Hope it all goes well and the site attracts loads of business for you

David

Comment

That's great CountDavid, exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for. I'm sure it will be helpful. Many thanks.
      Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Looks good and very professional, it's well laid out without being obtrusive or cluttered and each section opens fine on my laptop displaying your images beautifully. Hope this brings you tons of work, good luck Barry

Comment

Barry I've just had a very quick look at your site, your links work for me running Win7 and Firefox. You have some great portraits the set of Jenna are brilliant, well done.

Just a thought the password security worked on the first wedding album (Lynne & James) but not the second (Bob & Norma) maybe for continuity the security setting should be the same for all the wedding albums. I take it that it is your intention to supply passwords to your clients for their personal area of your site.

BTW I loved the first image in the Blog section
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I like the layout. Very "with the moment" styling.

At the moment I can see two weddings, one fully open and one that is locked to view. If that is what the bride and groom want, you may have to check with how they feel about their photos been visible on your open site full stop. Just a worded link that needs the password might be a better option.

The other thing is, I can right click and download. Do you want that? While I know its always possible to download an image from the webpage. Do you want to let friends and family download or do you want the revenue from prints?

Other than that... go for it. Hope it brings you some money in.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Lynne & James' wedding was my first paid one so that is passworded and only the B&G and anyone else they give the password to can see the images. I have permission from Bob & Norma to show the photos, so no password (Bob is my dad :big grin:). So yes, that part is intentional.

I'm not sure whether to keep things as they are or split the client galleries away in their own section. I haven't photographed enough weddings yet to have a good pool of photographs - I had a model shoot booked for March but had to cancel when I had my back surgery.

IMO the weakest part of the site is the photographs. I feel like I need more 'great' shots, with a more cohesive style. That's something I plan to work hard on later this year.

I'm happy to have people be able to right click. I'm not keen on watermarking either. I hated copyrighting as a consumer so now I'm a creator I'd rather have everything open. Of course I'll keep an eye on what happens and revise my opinion if I need to.

Thanks very much for looking everyone. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X