Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am back, and with a question about RAW

Hello All,
    I have been away from the forum for some time as I have been quite ill. During a visit to the UK my asthma flared up and I ended up in ITU for 10 days and a prolonged hospital stay for a month. I am now feeling better and it's time to get out my camera once more.

I have taken some pictures in RAW format and although I have had a browse through the forum about PP software I have a question. I use Adobe Photoshop 7 which I have had for years and years and it serves me well, however I have to use Canon DPP that came with my camera for RAW images and then convert for further processing in Adobe.

I just wondered is this the best way to do it? is there some software out there that may be easier / more intuitive to use for RAW. So what do you use? and any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Sandra
    Last edited by Mazzie; 05-05-2014, 08:59. Reason: typo
    “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
    http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Re: I am back, and with a question about RAW

You could download the Adobe DNG converter? Should allow you then to use Photoshop for your processing.

Papa.

Comment

Yes, you could convert them to DNGs (which are a "standard" form of Raw and doesn't have the manufacturer/camera specific stuff in it) and read those into Photoshop, as I assume it won't support your camera (you don't say what it is but Adobe only add the latest camera support to recent copies of Photoshop and v7 isn't recent at all, I'm on 13 and don't have the latest one).

Commercial raw processing software includes Adobe Lightroom 5, DXO Optics Pro 9 and a number of others.

If you look at one of Tony's videos (at high resolution) you can see him using Lightroom to play with people's photographs, to get an idea of what is possible, e.g.:
      SUBSCRIBE and like http://fb.com/NorthrupPhotographyBuy the #1 book with 14+ HOURS of video on Amazon: http://help.tc/sWorldwide use 10% off coupon 'YouTube'...

I would go with something with a fair number of online resources available, unless you have friends who use another program and can guide you through the basics. Canon provide Lightroom free with some cameras, so have training videos available, hence that would be my suggestion (as in get the free trial, not rush out and buy it):

You can then save images in a variety of formats (JPEG, TIFF, etc.) for further processing in Photoshop, if required.

However if your computer doesn't support the requirements for Lightroom let me know, plus your camera model, and I'll try again. Also note Lightroom is available as a purchase or a monthly rental in Adobe CC, so if you see one and want the other keep looking.
      Last edited by DrJon; 05-05-2014, 10:24. Reason: "Typos 'r us" this morning... :-(

Comment

Many thanks for responses Papa and DrJon. Sorry I should have said. My camera is a 60d and I have a second hand 5DMK2. My PC is pretty up to date ( I am not technical so cannot describe here :) but my partner assures me it will run whatever is needed lol ).
        So 2 options then? Convert to DNG and import into my current Adobe PS or move to another PP package such as Lightroom etc?

ok, off to check out those links and have a think.

Comment

This also might be worth a look:

BTW Lightroom isn't a Photoshop replacement as such, as it is an optimised Raw processor with a number of extra tools, whereas Photoshop is a huge pile of tools with the option to start from a Raw image.

Comment

Sandra - Hope you are on the mend with your asthma. I know personally that it can really take you off your feet.

On the changing format issue, you could also try infraview - it will take a raw file and change it to several different formats. I also used UFRaw when I used gnu. Hope you find something that works for you.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Di. Feeling much better now. Oh I'll take a look at that also. There are quite a few things out there now that I've been looking. I guess it's horses for courses and I need one that fits my style so to speak.

Comment

Working...
              X