• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EOS 7D

Product: EOS 7D

Overall Rating: 9.0/10

Overall Summary:
    A very ,very good APS-C sensor sized DSLR, ideal for fast action shooting.

Detailed Review

Reviews are very much a personal thing, influenced by where you are coming from , what your needs are, and where you want to go with the particular bit of kit you are reviewing. So this review reflects my thoughts on what is important for me in this particular model, which I’m sure will be different from others’ experience.

I won’t be detailing all the bells and buzzers of the camera, neither will I be conducting ’Compared to…..’ kind of tests, for one thing there are enough of them out there anyway, and secondly, I don’t have anything that’s relevant to compare with.

For those ‘upgrading ‘ from another canon DSLR (20D, 40D, 50D etc), the changes are generally straightforward, with worthwhile innovations, while the camera’s menu system appears complex, the changes are incremental, therefore getting to grips with all the functions, while no walk in the park, is relatively pain free.

If it’s a first DSLR, or moving from say a bridge camera, it’s gonna be a steep learning curve, so would suggest putting a few interruption free evenings aside to read the manual/get to know your way around the camera.

Specific highlights that are important to me, or what has particularly impressed/chewed me off about the camera:

Build quality
    Feels solid, and a lot more robust than some of the earlier non pro bodies, although I’m still getting used to its compactness (being more familiar with the solid lump of a 1 series body)

Image quality
    Totally meets my needs, 18mp packed onto a crop sensor could have been risky, but it seems Canon have got it right, nice, clean, colour balanced images with pleasing tonal gradation. I did notice that viewing raw files, the images looked a little soft, but tidied up very well in processing. This ‘flaw’ has been mentioned in other reviews of the camera, but after processing a number of images, it never became an issue for me, I always apply some sharpening (USM) in processing, and as the 7D images scrub up very well, I’m happy.

ISO
    The amount of noise seen in images is I reckon about par for most modern DSLR’s with particularly clean images at high ISO’s. The only exception is at ISO 12800 (H setting) which is noisy, but depending what it’s used for, could well be acceptable. As an aside, I did try shooting at ISO12800, in a darkened room, and was able to shoot handheld, using an 85mm lens at F1.2 (1/50th second) and got reasonable image-totally useless test I know, but it’s nice know that you can do it.

Autofocus
    This is one of the cameras particular strengths, autofocus locks on very quickly, and autofocus tracking stays there like a limpet, so moving objects like birds in flight, fast sports are well served by the 7D. In good light, the autofocus excels, in low light it's not as good (or not expected to be as good) as a 1 series body.

Canon have obviously spent time and energy on this, consequently the redesigned autofocus sensor has come up trumps.

In addition, innovative features like zone autofocus, and AF point expansion add significantly to functionality of the camera.

Metering system

The 7d has a completely new 63 zone sensor, and all I can say, it does exactly as it says on the tin, no unpleasant surprises. The metering modes of previous DSLR’s are retained that is- evaluative, partial, centre weighted and spot metering, it’s a pity the spot metering couldn’t be linked to a specific af point, but is probably a function too far for a non pro body.

One notable function is auto ISO, which I use frequently, often when walkabout with the dogs, a 200mm lens attached, metering on manual, shutter speed set at around 1/1000 sec and aperture at f2.8/f4, and let the ISO take the strain, which adjusts quite intuitively and quickly ensuring correctly exposed shots., with the ability to change either shutter/aperture quickly via the top/rear scroll wheels-absolute bliss.

Shutter mechanism

One of the reasons I purchased the 7D was for its 8 frames per second shutter speed, it manages this without any fuss, and if using a fast card, the buffer clears quickly enough. It doesn’t have the machine gun chatter and feels almost reserved compared to a 1 series body.

Flash System
    The integrated flash transmitter was one area that really appealed , although it did raise some anxieties also, not knowing what functionality I would retain on EX series speedlights. Thankfully, the system works just as I hoped , without the need to invest in EXII series speedlights.

My normal set-up for portraits is to use two EX speedlights controlled via a STE-2 transmitter or a flash lead, quite often bounced into a brolly , with the ability to vary the power ratio between the two speedlights via the STE-2 or the master speedlight (if using a lead), this way I can control the main/fill flash quickly and effectively while still retaining ETTL.

The integrated speedlight transmitter in the 7D functions very much like a STE-2, and acts as a master, in that you can control which speedlights fire and the power output/ratio between the speedlights (including the built in flash) from the cameras menu screen.

To use the integrated flash transmitter the built in flash needs to be in use (raised), which acts as an independent flash, or as part of a multiple flash set-up, and/or a trigger for the other (slave) speedlights. What is a tad confusing, is that although you can switch off the built in flash (via the camera menu) and just use the other speedlights, there is still a ‘flash’ from the built in flash, it wasn’t until I’d done a bit of googling that I found out that the ‘flash’ was purely a trigger flash, and didn’t have any impact on composition/flash exposure with the flash burst at around 1/320th of the power of a ‘normal’ flash .

In addition, the integrated transmitter has a far wider control reach than a STE-2, I found with the STE-2, you needed your other speedlights in front and not too far to the sides of the STE-2, with the integrated transmitter, I could use the other speedlights in front, to the side and behind the camera.

Also pleasantly surprised using just one speedlight with the inbuilt flash, adjusting the power ratio weighted towards the speedlight, the inbuilt flash provided a pleasant fill in.

If you have the EXII speedlights (which I don’t), in addition to wireless transmitter, and the ability to adjust power ratios, you can wirelessly control the settings and functions of the individual speedlights from the camera's menu screen.

Viewfinder
    Like series 1 bodies, the 7D has 100% coverage, in addition it has a transmissive LCD screen overlay instead of interchangeable focusing screens, which works very well, with a range of overlay views superimposed in the viewfinder, of the overlays the grid display, spot metering circle and AF zones did impress.

HD movies and live view display
    Although extremely useful, and they work very well, not something I use or intend to use a lot.

Other highlights
    Dual axis electronic level-a kind of electronic spirit level on the rear screen that indicates pitch and roll, so there should be no more excuses for wonky horizons.

Battery life, very good, seems to last forever, I recently shot a full 16GB card, and the battery life was still showing 54% (no live view, on standby all of the time)

Of the top buttons, a useful addition is the mfn (multifunction) button, located adjacent to the shutter button, which has traditionally been the FE lock button (FEL), while it retains the usual FE lock function, it adds another function that by pressing you can change the AF area selection mode, therefore can quite easily scroll though single point af, zone af and 19 point af without taking your eyes from the viewfinder.

In Use
    Used as a companion to a 1Ds MKIII, so used mainly for wildlife/sports shooting, and because it’s lighter/more compact than a 1 series, used as a ‘walkabout’ camera also.

Build Quality
    Very good, improvement over previous models, but not (or not expected to be) up there with the tank like qualities of Canon’s pro bodies.

Strengths
    Excellent autofocus/autofocus tracking, very good shutter frame rate. Integrated speedlight transmitter, competitively priced.

Weaknesses
    None really, but on a few of the first set of shots I took, I did notice some chromatic aberrations-notably red fringing along dark/light contrast lines, while this is quite common at the edges of a wide angle in contrasty scenes, not so usual in the middle of a good prime lens. Since this comment, I've had the odd shot showing chromatic aberrations, but is so infrequent, it's not an issue.
    Last edited by Les McLean; 18-04-2010, 23:11.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Re: Canon EOS 7D

Les
    That just makes it all the more important for me to upgrade from my old faithful 10D at long last.
    Now saving very hard and hope sometime soon to go to the 7D.
    John

Comment

John

I remember the 10D well. Amazing in it's time and effectively it was a renamed 60D, at half the price. As far as digital noise was concerned, it was scary territory to take the ISO higher than 400.

The 7D is on a different planet.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        John

I remember the 10D well. Amazing in it's time and effectively it was a renamed 60D, at half the price. As far as digital noise was concerned, it was scary territory to take the ISO higher than 400.

The 7D is on a different planet.

Colin
        Thanks Colin - That makes me more impatient to get there.
        John

Comment

Originally posted by johnatj View Post
          Thanks Colin - That makes me more impatient to get there.
          John
          Ooops .......... sorry about that!

Colin
          Colin

Comment

I dont class myself as being good with a DSLR but I have upgraded to the 7d from the 400d and I must say I do like it.The reason I brought it was for the build quality,speedlite remote,8fps and it will see me out.A little dissapionted that I cant open the raw pictures in my cs3 and the microsoft photo editor wont open the jpegs but thanks to some advice from here I have got round both thease problems.I also brought a battery pack for my 7d which I find a lot better for my large hands to hold.
            My friends call me Woody

Comment

It really very nice information. The Canon 7D is designed for speed, dual DIGIC 4 chips to the processing speed of large files as 14-bit, and follow with 8 frames per second shutter speed.Canon 7D frame the best camera at this price, can capture up to 8 frames per second with a depth of up to 94 JPEG image burst.
              Last edited by janysek; 16-08-2010, 04:39.
              preiswerte Fotoversicherung

Comment

Les a great review thanks for spending the time in doing this.

Comment

I will second that as well , well done Les.I am looking at buying the 7D.
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                  Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                  Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

HI Les,

just joined the site and nice to see such a good review on the camera I have my eye on. I have a bridge camera but want to improve and the 7D seems an obvious choice although I am not really interested in the video side of it. Apart from the low light section, what lens do you usually use on your camera. I am looking for a mid range zoom, possibly the 24-70 or 24-105 I think it is ... the L series 2.8 or f4 and although I have not yet got the camera, I managed to get hold of a good deal on the Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS USM only yesterday, so I am on the way there!

Thanks for such a good review

Malcolm
                    Malcolm Alexander - Alexam Images - Canon 7D - 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM- 24-105 f4 L IS USM - 50mm 1.4 - Epson R2880 Printer - Speedlites Two 580EX II & 430 EX II - Lencarta Two 300w/s Studio lights

Comment

Malcolm - the 4-70 is f2.8 and the 24-105 is f4

Both are very good lens

I got a 135 f2 for low light - a fantastic lens, and reasonably priced too
                      ef-r

Comment

Just seen the 7D £1.119 Grip £ 144 at Mathers of Lancashire.

Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Comment

I now have the EOS 7 D safely in my Lowepro bag.

Comment

Originally posted by F.S.P. View Post
                            I now have the EOS 7 D safely in my Lowepro bag.
                            And a smug grin from ear to ear, no doubt.

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

I put my new EOS 7 D to task at the weekend with rugby on Saturday & Sunday along with new lens.

Comment

Working...
                              X