Canon EOS 7D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon EOS 7D

I have been using the 7D now for 2 years and I am pretty much convinced it's the best digital camera Canon have ever made. Aside from some noise at higher ISO, it's pretty much a percect camera - a dream to use and superb image quality. I find it difficult that any one would find major issues with it - just because I use Canon (and have done since 1976!) I would not be reluctant to criticse if I thought it were necessary. The 100% viewfinder and grid overlay alone make it such a useful camera. I have always found Canon metering flakey in typical overcast UK conditions - and hence tend to use manual a lot - but the new metering system was a major step forward.
    www.garywhite-photography.com
    Gary White, MPhil
    Travel Photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Lander View Post
      I use RAW all the time and I am not knocking the 7D. Its less than a third of the price of the 1D MKIV so is tremendous value really. The only reason for me to buy a 1d would be for the better performance at >800ISO. I'll give MRAW a go.
      1D4 is excellent to at least iso3200
      ef-r

Comment

Two years on, and the camera rolls on, doing what it does very well, occasionally punching above it's weight, occasionally punching below it's weight.

Re-reading my original review, I see no reason to change any of my thoughts I had then, some of the good points have been reinforced over and over again.

Particularly, in good light the autofocus tracking is superb, battery life is impressive, I bought a cheapo third part battery as a back up, but have never needed to use it. If using a reasonably fast card, the buffer clears remarkably quickly.

One 'fault' that has come to light over the last year, infrequently (perhaps 1 shot in a 100), the exposure brain of the camera scrambles, and the image is severely under or over exposed, regardless of the setting (auto/manual-average/spot etc), luckily it's never occurred on a vital shot, and it's something I can generally live with.

As newer models come on stream, some of the better functions of the 7D have been taken up with the newer models (notably 5D MKIII), but even though two years can be considered a relatively long time in DSLR evolution, the camera in no way feels dated.

So as long as you can live within it's limitations, particularly avoiding very low light for autofocus tracking, and not shoot in the ridiculously high ISO's more recent cameras are capable of, the 7D is a solid performer rather than spectacular but it's a camera that brings home the bacon time & time again.

Here's a shot from this morning, nothing spectacular, but reflects it's capabilities.

With 200mm F2.8L + 1.4TC. 1/1600 sec @ f4, ISO 250

Larger image
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Nice shot Les and interesting read. I have a similar setup, but not done much outside photography so far, rather concentrated on studio work.

Have you tried the 2 x TC and how does it compare with the 1.4x ? I have both although since bought, I have hardly used either.

Also, do you use the C1 C2 C3 settings and what have you set them at - for what?

Hope this is not too involved for you to reply.

Malcolm
          Malcolm Alexander - Alexam Images - Canon 7D - 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM- 24-105 f4 L IS USM - 50mm 1.4 - Epson R2880 Printer - Speedlites Two 580EX II & 430 EX II - Lencarta Two 300w/s Studio lights

Comment

Originally posted by Alexam View Post
            Nice shot Les and interesting read. I have a similar setup, but not done much outside photography so far, rather concentrated on studio work.

Have you tried the 2 x TC and how does it compare with the 1.4x ? I have both although since bought, I have hardly used either.

Yes. I did a review of the 2.0TC here :-
            http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/showthread.php?12307-Canon-Extender-EF-2x-III

I use the 1.4TC more frequently, my general carry round lens with the 7d is a 200mm F2.8L+1.4TC, a killer combination, light, compact with excellent IQ.

Also, do you use the C1 C2 C3 settings and what have you set them at - for what?

I use all 3 and generally set for use with shooting birds, 2 are set on auto-iso, one at 1/1000sec @f4, and one at 1/1600 sec @f5.6, and I can change these quickly depending on light, I can also tweak the shutter speed on the fly also, the third C is set to a/v at F5.6 with the exposure set to 2/3 stop over, ISO 400, I use this setting for birds against a sky (unless the sun is directly on them), again tweaking the over/under exposure on the fly.

These are the settings that work for me, and as you can see, auto-iso is a firm favourite of mine.

Hope this is not too involved for you to reply.

Malcolm
            Hope this answers your queries?

Just to hopefully quantify how good this camera can be, and how good it is with the 200mm F2.8 lens, this image was taken with that combination (posted previously)

Last edited by Les McLean; 12-08-2012, 19:37.
            Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thanks Les, that's a really great shot. I appreciate the additional information on settings. I must get out more and practice with the same settings and hope to get to your standards.
              Last edited by Alexam; 13-08-2012, 14:30.
              Malcolm Alexander - Alexam Images - Canon 7D - 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM- 24-105 f4 L IS USM - 50mm 1.4 - Epson R2880 Printer - Speedlites Two 580EX II & 430 EX II - Lencarta Two 300w/s Studio lights

Comment

Les,

I have just read this thread through from the beginning, it may have been two years ago but all still relevant and very interesting as I am hoping to upgrade my 50D to a 7D shortly ( just need to finish paying for my Daughters Wedding on 25th August)

I have seen many great shots on here taken with the 7D and various lenses, in particular though to me the 300m F4 seems to suit it well as a combination and I have the 1.4 converter to add to it.

You last shot though is absolutely stunning work, was that with your 200m and 1.4 converter, or just the 200m

Thanks again, very interesting reading.

Regards Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul, and I think the 300F4 & the 1.4 will make a good combo.
                  The last shot was with the 200mm on it's own, the kites were flying very low that day, and I was on a bit of a rise.

Comment

Quickish update since Firmware V2 Update.

Installed the update seamlessly a couple of weeks ago, and the result is that a very good camera is even better. The particularly useful features for me are the increased maximum raw burst to 25 and Maximum Auto ISO setting.

I use Auto-ISO frequently (in Manual mode) -and have 2 of the custom buttons C1 and C2 set to different auto- ISO settings, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me, and now with the ability to limit the upper ISO in auto-iso, a nice bonus. It would have been even nicer if Canon had introduced a safety shift (like in a/v & t/v) for the times the exposure goes beyond the boundaries, but you can't have everything.

Reading through this and other forums, there have been one or two niggles installing the firmware update , but I think that's been the exception rather than the rule, and I haven't heard of anyone's 7D being oven baked as a result of the upgrade.

Here's an example (posted previously) of the benefits of the increased raw burst, I'd been shooting this heron as it was tracking across the sky, it suddenly swooped down , and the burst had enough left to capture the down-swoop, which I would have missed prior to the firmware update.

With 300mm F2.8L+1.4TC, 1/1000 sec @f4, ISO2000

Last edited by Les McLean; 30-08-2012, 09:31.

Comment

On a different forum, someone asked me about the the 7D's battery life i.e. 'How many shots would you say you get on a full battery?'

It maybe of some use to reproduce my answer :-

The honest answer is I don't know ? I've never had the battery run down totally during a shoot, I've used a full 16GB card in a session (around 450-500 shots) and the battery was still showing around 50%, which I think is excellent.

Put another way, I've had the camera well over 2 years, the shutter count is 44645 (so around 370 shots per week), the original battery, and the only one used on the camera, is still holding it's charge very well.

Last edited by Les McLean; 27-08-2012, 13:24.

Comment

Les I love that heron as I stated in the original post, superb .

I agree the max burst rate and max 'auto' ISO setting is a real bonus with the new firmware.

As for battery life, I have used 32GB of RAW images and still had nearly 70% remaining with the Canon original battery.
                        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Les ,

That is just superb, really like the light on top of the wing and how the bird is sort of separated from the OOF background

Something definitely to aspire to!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X