Enjoying film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoying film

Have been enjoying buying up some FD kit on eBay and a nice F1n body from USA, etc.
    Got back some Fuji Velvia RVP and Provia 400x from the E6 lab - fantastic - real dynamic range, shadow detail and no blown highlights! Oh dear... how youngsters who have used digital only have missed out....
    www.garywhite-photography.com
    Gary White, MPhil
    Travel Photographer

Re: Enjoying film

Here here! ;-)
    1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

For the simple reason of having to hear many people say that us digital geeks have missed out on so much with digital I bought a Canon AE-1P at Christmas last year. Shot the whole month of December using film and absolutely loved it. The drama the romance and change of mindset helped a lot.

Now it sits on my bedside cabinet and gets used mostly for family occasions. It forces me to print my work to see it, and that's stuff you'll keep forever. I can't wait to use it on a summers day in the park or something.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

It's good to hear people enjoying film, when I first got into photography 20+ years ago I really enjoyed choosing different films for different effects and seeing the different results.

But I have to say, I would not go back to film now.
        I enjoy the comfort of being able to see I have the image I want and the fun of being able to edit them to achieve different results.
        I don't miss the wait for developing, or the cost of film.
        I also enjoy the flexibility of achieving different results for individual images, whereas in the past you were stuck with a roll of film until you've finished it.

However, as I say I do appreciate the process and understand why some people would enjoy it.
        Andy

Comment

I can understand the interest in film photography for those that have never tried it but for those of us who were brought up with film the vast majority would not go back to those days of smelly dark rooms & never seeing what you took until weeks later etc. I suppose that now using film has some esoteric value and as such will continue to be used by some because of that.
          Just out of interest the silver halide crystals that are the recording mechanism of film can only be black or clear (equivalent to 0 or 1) so basically film is a digital recording mechanism. Electronic cameras have a huge electron well depth for each sensing pixel and hence are essentially analogue recording mechanisms - then the post sensing analogue to digital converter device in every DSLR turns this into a digital record at a later stage. So should we call film cameras digital and electronic cameras analogue ?
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I started my photography with a film SLR as I was given it by a relative and couldn't afford a DSLR. I learnt a lot and got some very nice results. Would I go back? No, I think that DSLR's offer everything that film did for me with the convenience of seeing what you have taken straight away. I certainly would not want to cover a wedding with a film camera. Some of the more experienced photographers on here probably wouldn't hesitate to use film for weddings etc and I take my hat off to them.
            1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
            Facebook
            www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post
              I I certainly would not want to cover a wedding with a film camera. Some of the more experienced photographers on here probably wouldn't hesitate to use film for weddings etc and I take my hat off to them.
              Whole heartedly agree with you there Paul ...
              [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

I love shooting the odd roll of film, but there's one thing that stops me shooting more...the cost.
                Shooting digital is just so much cheaper
                1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Yes, and though B&W film is still quite cheap, slide film has rocketed in price and plunged in availability. It is really just Mailshots and Photouk.co.uk that sell it now. Fujilab is closing for E6 development in NOvember but the lab is continuing as a private company. E6 processing is now harder to do and more expensive. Ilford Lab is good for B&W
                  Gary White, MPhil
                  Travel Photographer

Comment

Cheers for the info Gary :)

Comment

When I shot tranny I used Peter Gafney in Birmingham for processing. I understand they have been taken over by AG Photo Lab. You can see their details at http://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/contact-us-2-w.asp.

David

Comment

I guess like a lot of others on here I have used film for more years than I care to think about. I now own a couple of DSLRs as well as A G11 compact. As a go to system I will always go for one of the digital cameras but I still enjoy going out with a film camera and as the price of FD mount cameras has dropped like a stone I was able, last year, to buy a Canon F1 which I could never have justified the cost of even 10 years ago. Colour print film is still processed on the High Street in many places so I can take pictures in the morning and have them back by evening and still at a relatively low cost. I don't think I'll ever build another darkroom though, it will be commercial processing for B&W from now on.

Dave

Comment

Have enjoyed my newly purchased F1 and recently got a fine FD breechlock 50 mm f1.4 ssc lens too
                          Gary White, MPhil
                          Travel Photographer

Comment

If you are after a cheaper way of doing it:
                            Poundland agfa 200 (sometimes agfa 100) £1 for 24 exposure roll
                            Asda develop £2 per film and scan to CD up to 3 films for £1.

Scan quality isn't anything special but it means you can buy three films have them developed and scanned to CD for £10.

Comment

hey y'all

all this talk about film has got me back into my kits
                              i realize i did sell an f3 to obtain a digital nikon camera and lens my first d-90 and 10mm fisheye

i however, didn't realize that my sb17 flash head and cable extention are now obsolete without that camera?

is this correct? or can i get an adaptor to hotshoe to use this flash in manual mode....?

thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X