EOS Magazine Open Day - June 7th 2014.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS Magazine Open Day - June 7th 2014.

So I just found out late yesterday that EOS Magazine ... you know the one that runs this forum ... was having an open day at their HQ in North Oxfordshire in celebration of being 21.

As it's not that far I thought I'd go along and see what there was to be seen. I was also keen to take them up on the offer of printing a panorama (for a small fee).

Thanks to Robert (who I didn't get around to having a chat with) and staff for putting this on, particularly David who gave excellent advice on printing & printed out my Dolomite panorama (posted in the Pano area on here last year). Also listening to the chap who brought along the birds of prey was very interesting - any mistakes on names, speed etc etc is entirely mine.

The whole set is here EOS Magazine Open day on flickr but these are a few highlights.

1 HQ

EOS Magazine Open Day
    by anderson.council, on Flickr

2 HQ outbuilding.

EOS Magazine Open Day
    by anderson.council, on Flickr

3 HQ outlook
    EOS Magazine Open Day by anderson.council, on Flickr

Now for the creature shots - these are all heavily cropped as I didn't think to take a zoom and they are all shot with the EF24-105L.

4 Royal Python - I got the eye in focus (I think) but I don't really have a clue how to take this kind of shot. The lady who displayed this also had a centipede, tarantula, lizard and a couple of geckos.

5 Owl (not sure of type - Long Eared perhaps?)

6 Peregrin Falcon by the name of Wiggo and still a youngster. Been clocked at 180mph which is good going for a boy racer.

7 Barn Owl

There was also a Red Kite and a Kestrel but without a longer lens I can't say I'm that happy with them so although they are on the flickr album I won't post them here.
    Last edited by anderson.council; 07-06-2014, 16:09.
    Scott

500px flickr

Re: EOS Magazine Open Day - June 7th 2014.

Great set, Scott. We enjoyed our visit earlier today, particularly the cakes. My meagre photo efforts are here , including the two big birthday cakes I wish we'd been allowed to eat :)

Rob

Comment

Nice photos - it was grey and raining most of the time I was there today so nothing special for my outdoor & bird shots.

Big thanks to Robert for putting this on, it was obviously well planned and executed and a lot of hard work had gone on beforehand. Thanks also to all the friendly staff who were very busy keeping it all running smoothly. Even the falconer was up for a chat - as they say, every day's a school day!

Martin

Comment

Rob nothing meagre about your shots. I don't normally shoot wildlife (and these obviously weren't wild) but I know the background didn't help which explains why I upped the contrast to try to pop them out of the gravel a bit. I even found a use for the radial filter in Lightroom to help with this.

Martin - it was chucking it down big time on my way over from Buckingham but just before I got there it cleared up and then the sun came out. I'd like to say it was all planned but just luck on this occasion.
        Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Scott - a good set, showing what was missed by those who were not able to make it.
          I did not make it to the python etc table so it is interesting to see what was achieveable there - well done

David

Comment

Some excellent shots Scott, particularly the two owls

The python is fine you got focus on the eye and thats what matters, you would never get dof to get the rest of him in focus unless you stacked and hes not gonna stay still for long enough for the required number of shots

Interesting to see the building as well - with no2 had you been able to shoot from further away leaving plenty of dead space all around, you would then have been able to correct the vericals - as it is the building looks a little odd

stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by CountDavid View Post
              Scott - a good set, showing what was missed by those who were not able to make it.
              I did not make it to the python etc table so it is interesting to see what was achieveable there - well done

David
              Thanks David. Must say I'm surprised you didn't see someone with green hair in a small village event.

Scott
              Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan. Appreciate your comments and an "excellent" from you is high praise indeed. As I mentioned the owl shots are massively cropped which probably says something about the quality of the FF sensor and EF lens. Agree about the 2nd building shot - you are correct I just couldn't get any further away without jumping into the field next door but I thought you all might appreciate seeing the gorgeous surroundings that the EOS magazine calls home.

Scott
                Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Agree about the 2nd building shot - you are correct I just couldn't get any further away without jumping into the field next door
                  I thought you were going to come back and say that the building is actually that shape

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X