Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Street Photography - or at least strangers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street Photography - or at least strangers...

I am not very good at taking photographs of strangers, so I thought I should force myself. Here are three from today...

Elevenses by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 5Diii, 85L, ISO125, 1/125 sec at f9.0

Smartphone in McDonalds by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: ISO1600, 1/800 sec at f1.2

Service with a smile by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: ISO800, 1/100 sec at f10.0

Lots more from day in London today here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYHafbw

Thanks for looking

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: Street Photography - or at least strangers...

Really like the last 2.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Very good

I like the reflection of the first

stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

I like the first one with reflection...please tell me you also got one of when all that food fell off that fork down his nice suit...

:)
        Andy
        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
        [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Very good Richard. I like #2 & #3
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nice set Richard

Tom

Comment

You should force yourself more often Richard. Street shots can be great when done well. Glasgow is terrible for it, people often growl at you for even having a camera in your hand. I like the first one with the reflection. All could easily be stock pics.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

I think they are all good, some very strong elements in each of them.
                Andy

Comment

Thanks Antoeknee and Stan!

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
                  I like the first one with reflection...please tell me you also got one of when all that food fell off that fork down his nice suit...

:)
                  Andy - as a good risk manager I ducked away before the action actually happened!

Thanks Nat and Tom!

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                  You should force yourself more often Richard. Street shots can be great when done well. Glasgow is terrible for it, people often growl at you for even having a camera in your hand. I like the first one with the reflection. All could easily be stock pics.
                  Paul - I was once accosted in Covent Garden by an Irish man who was drunk as a skunk who then followed me all the way to the underground telling me that the lads would get me because he knew what I was doing with my fancy camera and long lens - not sure which lads he was talking about! Shame was I hadn't even taken a photograph of anything at that stage!!! I am doubtful about putting any of those up for stock since I don't have any model release forms! On the whole I feel like a total rat taking photographs of people I don't know. Although the short guy in the third photograph clearly was enjoying the attention! Maybe I will start a 100 strangers project and not announce it anywhere (apart from just here on this thread) until I am well on the way! Here are the first three!!!

Thanks Andy!

Thanks everyone for looking.

Richard
                  Last edited by rcarca; 02-07-2014, 09:00.

Comment

My only comment on Street photography is that one is better off using a good compact like the Canon G series; I use a Canon G15 which is brilliant for unobstrusive pics. No problems so far.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      My only comment on Street photography is that one is better off using a good compact like the Canon G series; I use a Canon G15 which is brilliant for unobstrusive pics. No problems so far.
                      I hate to tell you I have gone over to the dark side (or at least shady if not dark...) and bought a Sony RX100 Mk ii, which is great. But then I think to myself, I am heavily invested in Canon gear and lenses, shame not to max out on the quality that all of that affords!

Incidentally, the Sony has a 20+mp sensor and is a fraction of the size of the G series cameras!

Best

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                        I hate to tell you I have gone over to the dark side (or at least shady if not dark...) and bought a Sony RX100 Mk ii, which is great. But then I think to myself, I am heavily invested in Canon gear and lenses, shame not to max out on the quality that all of that affords!

Incidentally, the Sony has a 20+mp sensor and is a fraction of the size of the G series cameras!

Best

Richard
                        I sincerely believe that a DSLR has no place in street photography. I have struggled no end with candid shots because people just see you coming a mile away, and either hide, run away or look the other way. There seems to be a whole legion of DSLR shooters who specifically use mirrorless of compact cameras for this.

I'm rooting for a Fuji X-t1, however, I'm worried I'll use it more than the 5D3. With the increasing IQ and ease of use of mirrorless, I fail to see how a DSLR is needed for anything other than a working pro's tool. Personal preference out the way for now, it can sometimes be more of a barrier to getting good shots.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Quite the opposite view for me. Providing you're really obvious about it, the DSLR works well. Sometimes you get a bit of accidental eye contact and a nice smile back. The big camera looks like you know what you're doing and might be 'official' and I avoid any suggestion of being furtive about it. I also share the photos with the subjects if they ask - or even if they look as if they might ask!

I do like this set very much as they all have a story to tell.
                          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
                            I do like this set very much as they all have a story to tell.
                            Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Incidentally do you carry cards as a photographer so they can check you out?

Best

Richard

Comment

I am sure the more senior members (of my vintage or there abouts) will know that it was possible to buy a right angle lens i.e one which had a false front with the actual lens at 90 degrees. So it was always possible to point the camera and lens at something else whilst taking a picture of some one on your right. Unless it is possible to buy one of these lenses today, I must say that using a DSLR for street pics is always prone to bad looks,scowls,anger and so on. I am more comfortable with a compact for street photography. Yes, the Sony mentioned by Richard is also a decent compact although on the shady side of Canon.

Comment

Working...
                              X