Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Street Photography - or at least strangers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Street Photography - or at least strangers...

I remember what you're referring to Nat. It was a something that screwed onto your own lens and made it look like a large telephoto. It had a false lens at the front and on the side was an opening and there was a mirror at 45 degs. The tube could be rotated so you could shoot either left or right.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Fortunately for street photography is not something I want to try or do, at least for the moment.
      But it's been interesting following this thread.
      Andy

Comment

street photography is not easy - I'm still trying the sneak up approach with a long lens, but know the only way forward is to walk right up and take the photo, not easy !! and for me way outside my comfort zone

Really like 1 & 2 - its odd but for some street photography to work you almost don't want eye contact, but then other photos I've seen its all been about the interaction between snapper and the person on the street - confusing this game is, isn't it ;o)
        Last edited by Tigger; 03-07-2014, 06:21.
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I'm going to try a wee experiment later. Take the strap off my 5D3 and just use the 50mm 1.8. I want to see if making the overall size of the equipment smaller would it prompt a different reaction.

I used to use the 70-200 for street and it was great to pick out folk like a social sniper but I found the feel and subject separation to be too much. I was asked by a picture editor if I was able to get in closer with a wider angle lens as it's more personal to the viewer.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Sure it would Paul but I don't think you can beat a compact for street photography. Even if people see you pointing the camera towards them, they don't know who or what you are taking a picture of; also most compacts have a nice zoom which is just enough for this kind of photography.

You are quite right Ant. Glad someone remembers the good old days and good old equipments!!!!!
            Last edited by Nathaniel; 03-07-2014, 09:40.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Tigger, you are not wrong!

I take my camera with me most days I go into London, and I try to take a different lens each time, so this time I had my 85mm f1.2L, which is a lovely piece (or several pieces) of glass. Funnily enough though it was just long enough to be a bit problematic with some of the architectural stuff (see here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjZjvymk) so it forced me more into the stranger danger zone! I have tried taking a couple of lenses but by the time I also have a laptop and probably a few papers it gets too much for a long walk in uncomfortable shoes!!! Often if I am at a conference I take just the 50mm and people are definitely more accepting of that...

There's nowt so queer as folk!

Richard
              Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                Sure it would Paul but I don't think you can beat a compact for street photography. Even if people see you pointing the camera towards them, they don't know who or what you are taking a picture of; also most compacts have a nice zoom which is just enough for this kind of photography.

You are quite right Ant. Glad someone remembers the good old days and good old equipments!!!!!
                Still have all my old stuff and some of it I wonder why I bought it. Did try my 600mm mirror lens on my OM2 the other day surprising how light this combo was.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                  Tigger, you are not wrong!

I take my camera with me most days I go into London, and I try to take a different lens each time, so this time I had my 85mm f1.2L, which is a lovely piece (or several pieces) of glass. Funnily enough though it was just long enough to be a bit problematic with some of the architectural stuff (see here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjZjvymk) so it forced me more into the stranger danger zone! I have tried taking a couple of lenses but by the time I also have a laptop and probably a few papers it gets too much for a long walk in uncomfortable shoes!!! Often if I am at a conference I take just the 50mm and people are definitely more accepting of that...

There's nowt so queer as folk!

Richard
                  heading into london and doing street photography is really poking your head in the lions mouth ;o) ... great photos on the flickr link, theres times I really miss city life and all the photo opportunities

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Taking a DSLR into London for street photography! You could get mugged before you even take any pictures!
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

isn't that the case for any large city Nathaniel? - I'm heading to Barcelona for a few days but it would be a crying shame to not take the camera with me just because I'm worried about someone nicking it - plus you look at most tourist walking around they all have some type of camera / phone / Ipad /

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                        isn't that the case for any large city Nathaniel? - I'm heading to Barcelona for a few days but it would be a crying shame to not take the camera with me just because I'm worried about someone nicking it - plus you look at most tourist walking around they all have some type of camera / phone / Ipad /
                        I am always highly amused by some of the people on Canon Rumors (apologies for swearing) who say they are coming to London for three days and ask if it is safe to carry a camera. "And you are from where?" Usually New York or Los Angeles...

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                          ..................... I'm heading to Barcelona for a few days but it would be a crying shame to not take the camera with me just because I'm worried about someone nicking it ........ /
                          I was in Barcelona in January and had my 7D with the 24-105 as well as the 40mm pancake with me on a couple of nights and to be honest people ignored me... felt happier with the 40mm on though as it is not as intrusive. Went through the markets at night and got some great characters on the stalls.
                          David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                            I was in Barcelona in January and had my 7D with the 24-105 as well as the 40mm pancake with me on a couple of nights and to be honest people ignored me... felt happier with the 40mm on though as it is not as intrusive. Went through the markets at night and got some great characters on the stalls.
                            Have you put the 40mm on the 5Diii now that you have traded up?

Comment

The point I wish to make,(also made by David here) is unobstrusiveness. As long as one can carry a camera without drawing too much attention to yourself, is fine. Hence this is where the Pancake lens comes into it's own as well as the 100D- if the preference is to take a DSLR. A bespoke camera case for the camera would be my sort of equipment I would take with me to big cities. Have been to Canada 2 years ago and to Sri Lanka last year and adhered to my "prescription"! If one is on a package holiday with other tourists then there is "safety" in numbers- I think and hope so!!!!
                              Last edited by Nathaniel; 03-07-2014, 14:50.

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                                I am always highly amused by some of the people on Canon Rumors (apologies for swearing) who say they are coming to London for three days and ask if it is safe to carry a camera. "And you are from where?" Usually New York or Los Angeles...

Richard
                                Agree Richard.. I was talking to a guy that almost lives in the subways and night strees around NY and is happy to walk around late at night - not saying thats something I would try, but daytime in big cities yes I don't worry about it

Comment

Working...
                                X