Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Street Photography - or at least strangers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Street Photography - or at least strangers...

I was in Barcelona in January and had my 7D with the 24-105 as well as the 40mm pancake with me on a couple of nights and to be honest people ignored me... felt happier with the 40mm on though as it is not as intrusive. Went through the markets at night and got some great characters on the stalls.
    I'll be staying just on the outskirts and should be quite interesting going from a slippy village into a busy city!! not something I would normally do as I live in a village myself so should be fun ...least for a couple of days ;o) as I think thats all I'll be able to cope with
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
      Have you put the 40mm on the 5Diii now that you have traded up?
      Short answer.. no not yet as I my thought was to use the 40 on the 7D and the nifty fifty on the 5Diii. No reason for going this way just thought I would try it and see how this combination works.
      Tomorrow is a new day so will more than likely change my mind.
      David

Comment

So lets think about this for a nano second... cities are these days full of tourists and tourists nearly always have cameras... OK nano second is up... You just have to be aware of where you are and just take care.
        David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
          So lets think about this for a nano second... cities are these days full of tourists and tourists nearly always have cameras... OK nano second is up... You just have to be aware of where you are and just take care.
          Lol!

And now I have to type something extra because the forum doesn't like short responses!!!
          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
            yep, thunk .. agree

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I like the first one of the guy eating noodles and the last one at Paddington.
              I've not done a lot of it but I quite like street photography. I think you either need to go big - 6d & 70-300L to isolate people and be a bit bold in your approach. Or go surreptitious and use a compact - Fuji 100Xs.
              I've taken quite a lot of snaps in pubs/at night with the latter and so far nobody has felt the need to have a pop.
              TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Cory is a lot better at the 'secret squirrel' type of people shots than I, usually with the 70-200 as you can get good isolation from a distance for the more 'natural look' if you know what I mean.

As for city / London etc, just be aware of who and what is around you - not always possible but try and have someone with you as usually the opportunist / coward / thief wont risk a confrontation, or do what I have done and call your house insurance company to arrange 'mugging cover', as long as I don't have everything in a bag (which we don't do now days) if someone is stupid enough to confront either of us we just hand it over and as long as it's reported with an incident number we are covered, a lot better than a knife in the stomach or worse.

.DAVID.

Even with a long lens it's not always people that spot you
                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Taking my cue from David's post, street photography anywhere has got it's inherent dangers. I was in Sri Lanka last year, taking a walk along the beach watching the Indian ocean lapping around the beach, watching people playing in the water, and taking photographs with my compact. I was accosted by a young chap in shorts, who spoke very good English, and asked me whether I would like to see a turtle farm further towards Mount Lavinia and that I could take several photographs. I was alone at that time and it was around 5pm. I declined the offer and turned to get back to the hotel, when I felt a strong tug at my bum belt around my waist. I did come down hard and held my bum belt strongly and I saw this chap running away! Later on, at my hotel, I inquired about this turtle farm in Mount Lavinia and I was told that the only such farm was in Beruwella on the way to Galle.

The moral here is that one finds muggers and rogues everywhere, even as tourists and one has to be careful. David Stallard's advice is very good.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post

The moral here is that one finds muggers and rogues everywhere, even as tourists and one has to be careful. David Stallard's advice is very good.
                    agree - its a sad world we live in - I live in quite a small village and crime is starting to show its head around here with tourists and hire cars being the target - the annoying thing is the car hire companies don't help with stickers all over the car - its like honey to a bee

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                      Incidentally do you carry cards as a photographer so they can check you out?
                      I don't, but I'm quite happy to hand over my e-mail address which I find works well. I take the view that if I'm taking photos of people on the streets I'm going to be obvious about it, and I'm also happy to discuss it when someone asks. If someone does approach me I'll show them the pictures and I let them know they can have copies if they like. Giving them my details shows an element of trust - I'm happy for them to know who I am - and then I can send the originals to them in return. I also make it a rule not to take a picture that I think the subject wouldn't be happy with, and if I get one unintentionally it gets deleted.

As for not using a big lens on the streets of London, I beg to differ: https://picasaweb.google.com/ChrisWo...45152434436594
                      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

In taking street pics, I try to present something of interest- such as for example a busker with his cap full,half full or empty of coins and people around him etc. Pics of people simply walking here and there would not interest me. I try to look for a "theme", if you know what I mean. Thats my humble opinion.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                        X