Gimbal head query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gimbal head query

I am wondering if anyone use Gimbal head on monopod. I have just bought one (Benro GH2) to go with my 300mm f2.8, my plan is to use with my tripod but just though would it be also handy if i can use it with my monopod?

Raj
    Raj
    Flickr

Re: Gimbal head query

I take it no one use this combination?
    Raj
    Flickr

Comment

Why don't you try it and judge for yourself if it will prove a benefit?

In my view the only plane of movement you need on a monopod head is the "pitch" (up and down) movement. If you need to "yaw" (panning) then the whole thing will turn around the foot of the monopod. For the few times you might need "roll" then (assuming you're using a telephoto attached by a tripod ring) you can switch between landscape and portrait very easily.

If you use a ball head then loosening it enough to adjust any one of the three planes also means that the whole unit becomes unstable. For that reason I use one of these. Cheaper versions are available though. The reason I use the former is that all my telephotos have Kirk (Swiss Arca) plates attached.
      Regards ,
      Norman

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
        Why don't you try it and judge for yourself if it will prove a benefit?

In my view the only plane of movement you need on a monopod head is the "pitch" (up and down) movement. If you need to "yaw" (panning) then the whole thing will turn around the foot of the monopod. For the few times you might need "roll" then (assuming you're using a telephoto attached by a tripod ring) you can switch between landscape and portrait very easily.

If you use a ball head then loosening it enough to adjust any one of the three planes also means that the whole unit becomes unstable. For that reason I use one of these. Cheaper versions are available though. The reason I use the former is that all my telephotos have Kirk (Swiss Arca) plates attached.
        Thanks Norman, i will try it and see when i get them, i am still waiting for the postman. It does make sense. Raj
        Raj
        Flickr

Comment

i did try a manfroto 393 on the monopod when i had one ,but found it totally useless .i now just have a lightweight gimbal on my c/f tripod ,the less weight to lug round the better imho

Comment

Thanks Jeff.
            Raj
            Flickr

Comment

the one i use which is good quality and the right price is the lens master gimbal head .and made in the u.k to

Comment

That looks like a 393 sawn in half Jeff, so excluding the 'saddle', half to weight I guess.

Dave
                Dave

Comment

I think that's where his idea came from ,but it does the job and also takes the lighter arca plates .being flat section it also takes camo tape easily

Comment

Just a word of caution re the Lensmaster. It is a good gimbal - I had one. I nearly had a very nasty accident when my 1DX + 600mm was attached to the Lensmaster and the lens plate clamp became loose. It is only held on by one stud. I contacted the person who makes it and he said he originally made them with a second stud holding the lens plate clamp. He stopped fitting 2 as people wanted to take off the lens plate clamp supplied and fit their own. I would recommend drilling and tapping the lens plate clamp so a second stud is fitted. I couldn't get the lens plate clamp to stop loosening with only the single stud even when torqued up tight. I now use a Wimberely. Regards John
                    Last edited by mistral105; 09-08-2014, 11:44.

Comment

Cheers John I will check mine out later ,luckily got quite a lot of taps in the workshop ,thanks

Comment

It may be OK with your 400 + 1.4x, but I would modify especially if you are going to carry the camera, lens gimbal and tripod over your shoulder as I was doing. Regards John

Comment

Working...
                        X