Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maybe time for a new camera

LAST POST!!!

I phoned Portus all ready to buy the 700D and 55-250 IS II but I couldn't do it....... 60D on its way to me, hopefully soooon!!

Comment

Good choice I have one as my back up camera ,the wife uses it and turns out super stuff

Comment

I thought that the 50D was a better camera body than the 60D?
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          I thought that the 50D was a better camera body than the 60D?
          IMHO technically it is nat ,I used to love mine ,but they no longer produced and you will then be taking a s/h one on the chance it won't break ,the 40 and 50 d's were notorious for shutter failure

Comment

I thought manufacturers had to keep spares available for about 10 years or so and I don't know whether the 10 years have elapsed with the 50D? I am only raising this as I am considering getting a crop body in addition to my FF just for the extra reach for wild life photography. A crop body will certainly be lighter than a longer lens for me., and give me 1.6 + the 1.4 of my TC!!!!!
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Yes nat the spares are as far as I,m aware freely available ,but I had a 40d a few years ago that needed a shutter replacement ,it was just under £200 then ,and taking that into account it would now be a non viable repair ,making the repair more than the value of the camera .the same applies to the 50d as they have the same unreliable shutter fitted .and a s/h value of just over £200 .
              If your considering a 1.6 camera there's plenty of new options available in the canon range fairly cheap.

You will only get the extra reach of your 1.4t.c if the combined aperture is below f8 as well ,it's a minefield of compatibility issues I,m afraid .i nearly fell into the trap myself a couple of weeks ago when I contemplated a sigma 300mm f2.8
              Last edited by the black fox; 01-08-2014, 11:20.

Comment

I am sure the combined aperture for me would be well under f8. Anyway, I am also at the moment just "pondering". It becomes too expensive to make mistakes when one is on a pension!!

Comment

Nat I,m not sure if I put this properly ,to use a t.c on a crop sensor camera you would be looking at a lense with a wide open aperture of f4 any smaller than that would not work ,most people tend to use them with either a f4 or f2.8 lense ,if you then work out the weight factor involved plus the cost you would be far better off with a crop camera like the 60d and a 400mm f5.6 lens as they have no stabiliser they are lightweight .i will show you when we meet again

The 400 mm lens weighs 2oz more but is better balanced
                  Last edited by the black fox; 04-08-2014, 13:02.

Comment

OK. Jeff. Thanks. As I have mentioned my interest in a crop camera is only for wild life pics. I am quite happy with my FF 6D but I don't like to keep on cropping to get a reasonably large image of the say the "bird"!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      OK. Jeff. Thanks. As I have mentioned my interest in a crop camera is only for wild life pics. I am quite happy with my FF 6D but I don't like to keep on cropping to get a reasonably large image of the say the "bird"!
                      Nat, you should be fine with your 70-200 + 1.4x on an APS-C sensor camera. That combination would give you the rough equivalent of a 156-448 f/5.6 zoom. It would be pretty dark in the viewfinder, and the focussing could be a bit 'hit and miss', as f/5.6 via a TC would pose challenges for most cropped-sensor bodies with their limited focussing systems (apart from maybe a 7/70?). But it might be OK for the odd wildlife shot.
                      Last edited by kelly200269; 04-08-2014, 14:43.
                      1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

having been through the worn the T shirt read the book stage etc my gut feelings would be that it would be extremely hard to adjust to a aps-c crop sensor camera again after a full frame 100% viewfinder model ,i have a 60d and prefer to leave it in the hands of the wife finding i gain very little indeed by changing back to it .once you get into the rapid focus and fire 1D series cameras i,m afraid your hooked ,i tried the lads 70d the other week and although its a high megapixel fast firing camera with a good buffer it just didn't feel right to me and i couldn't wait to get the old dinosaur back in my hands .
                        a better longer lens would be my dream these days to fill the sensor more

Comment

Kelly and Jeff; thanks for your comments. Yes, I did use a crop camera, the 60d for a long time with my 70-200mm +1.4TC and it was fine. I also used the 60D with my departed 300mm f4 IS and that too was fine. My intention is, as mentioned earlier, use the crop camera for wild life almost exclusively. Hope this works out OK for my way of thinking. I am presently looking at the 100d, 650D and the 700D as they have ,I think, the Digic 5 sensors.
                          I agree that a long lens is the best option but my days of carting long lenses have passed now. I am getting on to 79years of age,"soon"!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                            once you get into the rapid focus and fire 1D series cameras i,m afraid your hooked ,i tried the lads 70d the other week and although its a high megapixel fast firing camera with a good buffer it just didn't feel right to me and i couldn't wait to get the old dinosaur back in my hands .
                            a better longer lens would be my dream these days to fill the sensor more
                            I agree completely. There seems to be a 'way' the 1D-series and lenses 'fit' together that other models can't seem to emulate or match? For a change, I shot some film over the last couple of weeks, and even my aged 1V just made me smile. The focussing is impecable, and it just 'nails it' every single time. I can't wait to see my prints of the Edinbugh Fringe now.
                            Yes, I think the 400 would be easily preferred over the 300 f/4+1.4x - it's just the cost, like everything I suppose! lol
                            1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

i think a 500mm f4 is what i really want ,just don't fancy going back to work to pay for it though kelly .

and nat you can hint about your birthday as much as you like your still not getting a present

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                                i think a 500mm f4 is what i really want ,just don't fancy going back to work to pay for it though kelly .

and nat you can hint about your birthday as much as you like your still not getting a present
                                Just saying that I am getting OLD!! and saying please be "gentle" with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X