Wallace Monument, Stirling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wallace Monument, Stirling

I think this will be my last landscape type shot for a while. I'm not finding any enjoyment in it at all. Everytime I head out I'm met with some odd dark cloud that just seems to be totally ruining my day. I then head away from the area and the sun comes back out.

Wallace Monument, Stirling by campsiestreet, on Flickr

Think I should take a wee rest from photography. Heart is just not in it anymore.

Although this shot makes me want to watch Braveheart :)

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Wallace Monument, Stirling

Sometimes, one needs a break, just to decide what one wants to do. However you are an excellent photographer, so don't rest to long.

Tom

Comment

Your a great photographer, so I hope you don't take too long a break.
      Just try not to be too harsh on yourself, I hope you get back to it soon and get back to enjoying it.
      Andy

Comment

Although this shot makes me want to watch Braveheart :)
        nah more like Game of Thrones

I really like the photo and theres enough interest in the clouds to help the photo along - when you take photos like that its unfair on the rest of us to stop ;o)

Can you adjust the perspective? - its obviously not helped by your angle just not sure anything can be done
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          nah more like Game of Thrones

I really like the photo and theres enough interest in the clouds to help the photo along - when you take photos like that its unfair on the rest of us to stop ;o)

Can you adjust the perspective? - its obviously not helped by your angle just not sure anything can be done
          I drove around Stirling for about an hour looking for a more level vantage point, and to get the correct light landing on the building. The only real good view is from Stirling castle which I couldn't get into. I gave up and headed home. The sat nav took me this weird road that had the best view of it. The 400mm would have meant a good eye level shot, but as with every back road in Scotland, there's no where to stop. A combination of fighting light, road restrictions and constantly driving about looking for a good spot has me a tainted view of this type of photography.

I had visions of going hiking, picking out a spot and waiting for the right light. My tripod broke on me, It's too heavy to carry about. You can't get hiking anywhere in piece without a ton of weekend warriors in the way. The conditions change so much in Scotland. It really is 4 seasons in one day in the summer, and even when you do find somewhere, you're attacked by midges lol.

It's just no for me. I do love being outdoors but for something that was enjoyable when I started just walking about, has turned into a big pressure to deliver perfect shots everytime I lift the camera.

AS far as this shot, yeah there's enough room the shot for me to adjust the perspective to make the tower more upright and level.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
            It's just no for me. I do love being outdoors but for something that was enjoyable when I started just walking about, has turned into a big pressure to deliver perfect shots everytime I lift the camera.
            I hope you don't mind me commenting, but it seems like you put yourself under a lot of pressure to get good shots every time.
            Maybe take a step back and remind yourself you do this for fun and pleasure, don't always expect that award winning shot just try and enjoy the process and the photography.

Ok, it's maybe easier for me to say as I'm earlier in my photography journey but for me just being out and looking for the shots relaxes me and helps me forget about work.
            And sometimes trying to work out how I can get a decent shot when the suns disappeared or the light is not as good as I'd hoped is enough to keep me going. Maybe I set my sights lower or have less ambition, but I want to enjoy my photography and not put myself under too much stress or pressure, I get enough of that at work!

I hope you find that calm peacefulness that helps you enjoy your photography regardless of what genre you turn to.
            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
              I drove around Stirling for about an hour looking for a more level vantage point, and to get the correct light landing on the building. The only real good view is from Stirling castle which I couldn't get into. I gave up and headed home. The sat nav took me this weird road that had the best view of it. The 400mm would have meant a good eye level shot, but as with every back road in Scotland, there's no where to stop. A combination of fighting light, road restrictions and constantly driving about looking for a good spot has me a tainted view of this type of photography.

I had visions of going hiking, picking out a spot and waiting for the right light. My tripod broke on me, It's too heavy to carry about. You can't get hiking anywhere in piece without a ton of weekend warriors in the way. The conditions change so much in Scotland. It really is 4 seasons in one day in the summer, and even when you do find somewhere, you're attacked by midges lol.

AS far as this shot, yeah there's enough room the shot for me to adjust the perspective to make the tower more upright and level.
              I do understand where your coming from Paul, getting that ideal viewpoint is never easy - thats why we have PS ;o)

I'd love to get out more, but working and life gets in the way, but hopefully I'll be able to get out in August as I take the month off

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I hope you don't mind me commenting, but it seems like you put yourself under a lot of pressure to get good shots every time.
                Maybe take a step back and remind yourself you do this for fun and pleasure, don't always expect that award winning shot just try and enjoy the process and the photography.
                just what I was thinking. Photography can be a bit frustrating at times, I went out earlier in the week for butterflies and bugs and after 4 hours of shooting came back with only one or two shots even worth processing - so what, I enjoyed being out. I am about to go over to Arne RSPB this morning, looking for dragonflies and perhaps a dartford warbler but if I get nothing it wont be a waste as I will be out in the fresh air

stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                  just what I was thinking. Photography can be a bit frustrating at times, I went out earlier in the week for butterflies and bugs and after 4 hours of shooting came back with only one or two shots even worth processing - so what, I enjoyed being out. I am about to go over to Arne RSPB this morning, looking for dragonflies and perhaps a dartford warbler but if I get nothing it wont be a waste as I will be out in the fresh air

stan
                  I presume you are retried Stan ?

I suppose the real issue is time and the goals you set yourself - if you have lots of free time you can just take in the view and enjoy the day out for what it is, if you get great photos ( as you often do ;o)) its a bonus, but if you only have the weekend or in some cases 1 day a month you want to gain something from your efforts

Comment

My issues are with time also.

I work from 07:30 till 16:30. It takes me 40 mins to get home. I get in, feed my three cats, and two guinea pigs. I then start dinner. We have dinner, and let it settle with a cup of tea, and watch the news. Monday night it ruled out cause my GF doesn't finish till 7pm. Tuesday is good, Wednesday no good cause we go grocery shopping. Thursday no good cause my GF sister comes round for dinner. So really only Tuesdays and Fridays are suitable. I get my two kids every second weekend so in a month I really only get two Tuesdays, one Friday, Saturday and Sunday to go out to shoot in the falling light.

I used to shoot the wildlife at the river in the mornings and afternoon lunch breaks but it's become too dangerous there now with several people being attacked there and I'm not taking the chance.

Couple that with the weather and there's not a lot of opportunity. Kind of up against it with time it seems, and landscape photography needs patience and time.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

life is just hectic Paul....although 4.30 finish ....part timer ;o) ... I leave my desk around 8ish, but thats the drawback in working for yourself, although least I'm back to a 5 day week now, as last year it was 6 sometimes 7 days ;o(

Comment

Kind of know where you are coming from. Since getting my 5D3 lots of things have conspired against me getting out and about to give it a good test. One chance I had and it was raining heavily! So only been trying to get familiar with the controls in the evening, when its dusk/dark.

Means the only shots I've taken are of the back garden in poor light, starting to get comfortable with the different control layout to my 60D. On plus side been really impressed by low light performance.

Sounds like you need to take a break and hopefully when you return you can enjoy your photography again. Don't stay away too long as we all enjoy your work.
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Oh Paul, if I only had as much time as you do lol

Seriously, we all have that problem, only a PRO photographer, who makes their living from it can have enough time to do it and even they might struggle at times (what for you may be work commitments stopping you progressing, or getting the time to go shooting, for them it is the 'work' photography or assignments (and marketing and other business issues), taking the time they would dearly like to spend on their own 'personal' projects.

Just an observation Paul but you seem to be the kind of person who goes at something at 100 mph, you are in a hurry and like most of us you will trip up occasionally, or hit obstacles, but you will not just trip, to you it will seem like you hit a wall at 100 mph also.

Your energy and hurry - is born of passion - which is great and it shows in your fantastic work, that we all appreciate - but SLOW DOWN buddy and take a breath - for your own sanity!

Each time you 'hit a wall' you make a dramatic change - OK, not going to do wildlife anymore, I will do landscapes now. Then next wall, same thing.

When you were 'growled at' by the pro reportage photographer, I did not say anything but thought, well, I can kind of see why, the guy (most likely) has spent a long time to get where he is, he probably went to art school or studied photography for 3/4 years and put a lot of time and effort into his future career and I can kind of see why they don't take too kindly to when an 'amateur' (in their eyes) turns up with a great camera - it is his living

I have a friend who used to make a great living as a Club DJ (back in the day) and also as a record producer doing everything from commercial remixes to jingles for local radio - all of a sudden what he used to charge £1000's for (and he invested heavily in all the expensive kit and time etc to be able to do it) can now be done by some kid in his bedroom on a cheap laptop with a couple of hundred pounds worth of gear.

It is the same in photography, technology has allowed many more of us to produce professional results without having to invest like the pro's used to have to - so I would not be too harsh on that reporter guy

Back to you though, DON'T give up, you are simply too good.

Just reassess the time-frame and your goals, make sure you do it AS MUCH for the fun and creative process (as Joel Grimes says) as for the money or success. You like most o f us cannot afford to give up the day job (yet) to focus on this so what, it will take you a bit longer, you're young!

So, keep going, when you feel uninspired - have a few days off - always works for me (same for playing guitar!) and stop beating yourself up. Come back to it when you are inspired and keep creating - the rest will come in time.

That was meant to be helpful, not critical so apologies now if it comes across the wrong way
                          Ian
                          Last edited by celtex; 16-07-2014, 12:46.
                          EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Kind of bang on there Ian so no worries. I do everything 100% and at 100Mph as you say. If I feel it's not working for me I just bin it and do something else that I'm keen on. It's always cyclic too so it's natural that I'll come back to the start at a later date. I get bored very easily but yeah I do put everything I have into what I do. Much like when I locked myself in my room from the age of 15 to 19 playing the guitar lol. Now it hangs on a wall and I just can't be bothered with it.

I had about a week not long ago where I just put the camera in the bag and forgot about it. I didn't really work. I really do think that projects give great stimulation. You make the time for it and plan ahead. It's just finding that 'thing' that gets the blood pumping again.

I hate being that "What will I shoot today" person. I love having direction and a purpose.
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Yep, when your ready you have two eyes to look through the Camera, two hands to pick it up, two legs to get where you wanna take your shots, freedom to go where you like, you don't live in Iraq or Syria!

Comment

Working...
                              X