POSSIBLE WIRRAL WILDLIFE MEET UP .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POSSIBLE WIRRAL WILDLIFE MEET UP .

following a thread on one of nats post ,i,m thinking about a meet up on the wirral for any interested members with a view to some wildlife shots ,(if you wish to shoot other stuff thats your perogative) .

having checked the tides the next best available high tides are on tuesday the 12th of august at 12.00pm with a height of 9.8mtrs or 32.2 feet .

then on the wed the 13th at 12.50p.m again 9.8mtrs or 32.1 feet

with either of these its advisable to arrive and set up a hour or so earlier ,suggested venues being either gayton sands ,car park at park gate ,or the promenade at hoylake the latter would be my choice as we can then move to other spots from there easily .

i do realise this is a weekday (working day ) meet but you have to work around the tides ..

bit of background ,the wirral and dee estuary holds a significant amount of wildlife and migrating birds and is one of the prime spots in the north west for birds of prey ,which include marsh and hen harriers,buzzards ,short eared owls ,barn owls ,peregrines ,sparrow hawks ,kestrels, hobbies etc these all tend to prey on the massive amount of species that are disturbed by the high spring(monthly) tides .living on the welsh side of the estuary but on a hillside with unrestricted views of the whole estuary i do have a large amount of local knowledge of the area through work and play .

if anyone is interested in coming along can they add there name underneath so i can take it further or if they want to learn a bit more about wildlife photography and whats involved i,ll do my best to help .

heres a sample of what is possible taken at park gate earlier this year when the tide reached the sea walls
    i know an old spider that swallowed a kestrel LOL by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

and yes i know this is a nikon pic but its valid to this post .marsh harrier at burton mere wetlands
    mojos back !! by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr
    Last edited by the black fox; 21-07-2014, 12:54.

Re: POSSIBLE WIRRAL WILDLIFE MEET UP .

Jeff,
    I leave it to you for all your local knowledge re tides etc and I will opt for wed 13th August 12.50 @ the promenade Hoylake. However,if more members opt for 12th August, I will go along with that

Thanks
    Nat
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I am certainly going to give that some serious though Jeff, and probably will be 'attending'.

More than likely, the Tuesday , sounds good to me.
      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

I will also opt for the Tuesday- 12th Aug, as I have a Podiatrist appointment on the 13th.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Sounds good ,if you come to mine nat you can come with us if it's easier

Comment

I am planning to travel around that area in that week and see if i can combine it, it will great to catch up with some of the forum members. Raj
            Raj
            Flickr

Comment

I will certainly accept your kind offer Jeff although I will feel quite incompetent in the midst of your photographic family! Having been out with Jeff before I must say that any forum member who is able to join on that Tuesday,12th August, will definitely gain a lot; he seems to have eyes everywhere and I know that when I was only looking at something on the ground, Jeff has already seen something up in the sky and on other tree tops, with camera clicking away!!

Comment

Wait till you see what I have got in the first couple of days down here in Suffolk ,been trying to get these shots for five years .no processing access with me so it's the waiting game

Comment

Ok then its Tuesday the 12th yeah?... where am I to meet up with you lot.
                  [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Jeff, I will come to you, if that is convenient to you.

Comment

Nat that's fine ,Wayne I will post time and place on my return from holiday ,as there's been some interesting sightings that we might find more spectacular .?

Comment

I lived in the wirral (west kirby) for nearly 10 years before moved up to the north east, now i am sure you are going to say the place that i have never been while i was there Jeff?
                        Raj
                        Flickr

Comment

There's lots of good spots all around there raj ,if your going coastal you have to take into account ,tides,light direction ,weather and recent sightings ,for instance there have been a few shots of a marsh harrier at burton mere wetlands over the last few days,(typical when i am on holiday) one shot with it carrying a cormorant

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                            Nat that's fine ,Wayne I will post time and place on my return from holiday ,as there's been some interesting sightings that we might find more spectacular .?
                            Any update on this yet Jeff?
                            Peter

Feel free to browse my
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                              Any update on this yet Jeff?
                              no not yet,we have 3 definite people going ,i will make a decision on actual meeting place a bit nearer the time due to sightings and weather reports etc .probably the weekend before the meet .but it will be on the wirral on either the west side or the top

Comment

Working...
                              X