Software opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software opinions please

I hope this is in the right place, in short I could just do with some opinions on which software to buy, there seems to be so many to chose from, thanks in advance.

Sean.

Re: Software opinions please

Really depends on budget.
    I have subscribed to Adobe's photographers bundle which is £8.78 a month, you get Photoshop and Lightroom with the bonus of keeping up to date.
    Other than that there are many one of purchase options such as Photoshop Elements, or you could stick with the free Canon software.

Lots to consider, happy choosing!
    Andy

Comment

For something that is easy to get your head around, and yet quite comprehensive, then Adobe Photoshop Elements 12, is a good starting point. Its also not expensive, especially compared with the 'full blown' later variants of CS.

Lightroom 5 is also another good option.

I have both, but make more use of Elements 12, than I do LR5.

I also have CS, but tend only to use this for processing my astro-images. which is somewhat more involved than processing terrestrial images.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

My advice would be try before you buy any software for post processing of your images (Adobe and Phase One both do trial versions of their products) Also don't overlook the Canon. Software that came with your camera.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I'm guessing you are quite new to photography and processing so you need to keep things quite simple and a good starting point would be Photoshop Elements which gives you options for either a "quick fix", a "guided" workflow and as you get to grips "expert"

You can download a 30 day trial from the Adobe website to give it a testing before commiting to buy

stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

another vote for Lightroom 5 its a good basic editor and a great database for your images - I've not used Elements 12 yet, but I'm downloading it this week as theres a few features it offers that I want and LR doesn't offer them i
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

There are a bunch of types of software out there, many have free alternatives. It depends on what you want to do and what is your budget. Also what computer you have (PC/Mac, 32/64 bit). Most of the non-free software has a free trial.

Raw processing:
              If you want to work with raw files (assuming you have a camera that shoots raw) to improve pictures then the easiest place to start is Canon's free DPP software. There are a lot of paid alternatives but Lightroom 5 is a good choice, provided you spend some time to watch tutorials on using it, as otherwise it can be confusing. Canon has a series of video tutorials. You can do some very simple editing in Lightroom too.

Photo editing:
              There's a LOT of stuff out there. Personally I suggest people look at Photoshop Elements as it's pretty cheap and there is a lot of online help available in using it. Note Photoshop Elements can do raw conversions, but not in bulk like Lightroom, so I wouldn't get it for Raw unless you think you'll just do the odd image from time-to-time.

You can stop reading now as that's covered the basics, the rest of the post is in case you are looking for other ideas.

Video editing:
              Lots of choices, I won't list go into this unless you do video.

Others:
              Image viewers (I like Irfanview, free)
              Panorama stitchers (e.g. PtGui Pro, although there are free ones too like Hugin and Microsoft ICE)
              Noise reducers (Neat Image, or just get DXO Optics Pro as your Raw converter instead of Lightroom)
              Special effects (Endless choices, e.g. DXO FilmPack, CollageIt, a zillion others - a lot of the effects can be done in Photoshop Elements if you just have a look around online).
              Plugins for Photoshop: Many, including some of the above have plugin versions (I have neat image, fisheye hemi, focus magic, XRite, DXO)

Utilities like:
              Exifer
              ExifTool Gui
              ExposurePlot
              Focus and Exposure stackers like Registax6

Utilities for hardware:
              E.g. XRite Colour Checker software, etc. etc.

Software for phones:
              I like - Expositor, SnapSeed, TrueHDR, Waterlogue, plus others like panorama display software and software to show where the Sun will be at locations/times.

Comment

Excellent replies gents, thank you so much for your opinions and In depth advice too, it's not so much I'm a newbie to digital photography, it's more like ignorance on my part.

Sean.

Comment

If your gonna go with lightroom 5 then consider going with the adobe photographers package at £8.78/month and for that you get lightroom 5 and adobe photoshop cc for not much more than the cost of lightroom 5
                  Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Thanks for the help and advice, I've looked at the canon disc that came with my camera but it seems very limited in its ability to make any great changes with the photos I've got, this could be my fault or our out of date computer so I'm thinking seriously about buying Lightroom 5, what I'd really like to know is can I buy the software in disc form, the reason for this is because I'm going to buy my sons laptop and don't want to buy the software as a download and install it on our main computer, the laptop I can take on holiday with me and process stuff in my caravan, the problem at the moment is I can't afford to buy both so a disc would be more practical for me, bet you lot are getting sick of my questions.

Sean.

Comment

Can I put in a plug for GIMP2? It has lots of features, there are plenty of online tutorials to get you started, and it's free.

It can be downloaded from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ so you can give it a try and simply delete it if you don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by SheffSean View Post
                        Thanks for the help and advice, I've looked at the canon disc that came with my camera but it seems very limited in its ability to make any great changes with the photos I've got, this could be my fault or our out of date computer so I'm thinking seriously about buying Lightroom 5, what I'd really like to know is can I buy the software in disc form, the reason for this is because I'm going to buy my sons laptop and don't want to buy the software as a download and install it on our main computer, the laptop I can take on holiday with me and process stuff in my caravan, the problem at the moment is I can't afford to buy both so a disc would be more practical for me, bet you lot are getting sick of my questions.

Sean.
                        if you want to buy it in disk form just head over to Amazon - but you can download it from Adobe and install it onto multiple pcs, I did when buying it and installed it onto a couple of machines, in fact I don't think theres a restriction on the amount of times you can download it once you have the product code - but, you said "old pc" you need to to the mini operating system for LR as its very labour intensive and your PC may not run it, or if t does could be very jumpy

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

System requirements | Lightroom
                          Your computer must meet the minimum technical specifications outlined below to run and use Lightroom Classic.

"64-bit Installation Notes
                          Windows: The Lightroom installer contains both a 32-bit and 64-bit version of the application. By default, the 64-bit version will be installed only on Windows 7 and Windows 8 64-bit operating systems. All other operating systems will install the 32-bit version by default."

Comment

Thanks fellas, sorry but some of that is Greek to me, I'm afraid I'm one of your classic techno phobes, I think the best thing to do is wait until my son comes home from work and have a look at the laptop he's selling me and maybe take a pic of the info and ask you guys if will be ok for LR if that's ok please.

Sean.

Comment

I do find LR to be a real hog when it comes to the resources of a PC and my rule of thumb is the faster and the more memory the better, otherwise it will be jerky and will soon drive you mad - But why not download the trial version and fire it up and see how it performs - its a 30 day free offer

Comment

Working...
                              X