Image clipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image clipping

I am experiencing problems of image clipping with my EOS1DX and EOS1D MKIII. No matter what settings I've tried the whites keep burning out. This seems to happen in all conditions. I mostly use evaluative metering, but its happened on partial and spot metering as well. Its caused a particular problem when photographing the dress rehearsals of an opera for a client this week were it completely burnt out all the details on a white dress and a blanket (see the unedited image). Incidentally post processing can not resolve this issue . Any one experienced the same thing or got any ideas how to solve this problem?
    Attached Files

Re: Image clipping

Are you using auto exposure? I would use manual i.e. set TV and AV manually and at a set ISO - take a shot and check histogram - then increase/decrease aperture to get correct exposure. You may need to change the ISO if you cannot get correct exposure with a particular TV and AV setting - i.e. I do use manual TV and Av and auto ISO on the 1DX but often have to add exposure compensation - very easy with the latest firmware 2.0.3.

Regards John

Comment

Re: Image clipping

If you can post the EXIF data for the image that might help with suggestions, but in those conditions, your always going to have to compromise somewhere... if you expose for the very brightly lit white dress, then the background is going to be very dark, and if you expose for the BG, then you'll blow the whites... My objective would be to concentrate on the key element, in this case the subjects...

Cheers;

Lee
      Cheers;
      Lee
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
      5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
      17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Working...
      X