X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high speed flash sync

How do I set my 1d mk2 to a high speed flash sync ? Thanks Harvey

Re: high speed flash sync

I don’t have a 1D series camera, but I think the set up will be the same. You select HSS on the flash, not the camera. I have a Canon 430EX and the setting is selected on one of the buttons on the back. Potentially interesting aside,
    Canon recommend setting HSS and leaving it on as the flash will decide depending on camera settings and shooting conditions to switch between that and normal mode as required.

Peter

Comment

Thank you peter

Comment

My pleasure Harvey. I remember reading and re-reading my camera manual for how to set it before I worked it out!

Peter

Comment

One thing is puzzling me is having set the high speed sync on the flash what I the starting point for the camera ?

Comment

OK, my options would be

1 Set the camera to the “P” setting and let the camera and flash sort exposure out from there. or
            2. Set the camera to shutter priority (Tv) and a suitable shutter speed (I normally select max for my camera, check your manual for what that is on your camera) or
            3. Set the camera to manual and select a shutter speed and aperture value. The flash will calculate a suitable output for the settings and light conditions. You can help the flash in certain circumstances by selecting lower shutter speeds or increasing or decreasing aperture settings.

For all above, be aware of the maximum flash distance for your flash unit. This is where the other setting I have not mentioned so far can be useful - ISO. I usually keep my ISO setting at 200 or 400, but if I need to help the flash out in more difficult situations I can rack the ISO up a bit.

There are a whole raft of other potential settings/options/preferences that could come into play, but these are the basics I tend to use. If you are new to flash photography there are many online tutorials and books you can use to learn the techniques.

Peter.
            Last edited by Petros; 28-07-2014, 06:30.

Comment

One thing is puzzling me is having set the high speed sync on the flash what I the starting point for the camera ?
              Don't think it matters what shutter speed your going to use it will work fine in high speed from 60th sec right up to your highest just remember it won't throw out as much light in high speed mode so you may have to add a bit of + Exposure compensation in your flash setting to compensate.

Paul
              Last edited by paul linton; 07-08-2014, 15:20. Reason: Wrong wording
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I seem to recall that HS flash doesn't work in P mode.
                Emyr

Comment

High speed sync does work in P mode. Often the camera will simply close the aperture as much as possible before it starts to use faster shutter speeds.

If you have HSS set on a flash then the camera will use "regular" flash below the sync speed and switch to the HSS mode when the shutter speed goes above the sync speed.

So if you shoot wide aperture pictures outdoors in daylight then having HSS set allows the shutter speed in Av or P mode to be faster than the sync speed.
                  I'm a user of all kinds of Canon equipment. I write articles for magazines, teach photographers & make photos
                  www.p4pictures.com

Comment

Working...
                  X