Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now I Know Why No-one Uses Film Anymore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I Know Why No-one Uses Film Anymore...

Just had a bit of time off work, and enjoyed shooting with the film cameras for a change. That was, until I've sent them off for D&P...
    Five, 36 exposure films (one of which was B&W), including the purchase price of the film itself, have set me back the best part of £100
    Now I remember why I went digital. Anyone wanna buy a film camera...?
    1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Re: Now I Know Why No-one Uses Film Anymore...

I gave up on using film cameras for this very same reason- cost.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Yep; I know just what you mean... I was 'playing' with some experimental stuff (for me anyway) a week or so back, and took over 250 shots; just couldn't have afforded to do that with film... but it's still nice to get back to basics once in a while, although those days are fast receding now... Have a bunch of old film bodies in the loft that very occasionally see the light of day; might as well keep 'em; they're not worth flogging

Cheers;

Lee
      Cheers;
      Lee
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
      5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
      17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_User View Post
        Have a bunch of old film bodies in the loft that very occasionally see the light of day; might as well keep 'em; they're not worth flogging
        Yep, EOS-3's are going for a song on 'flea-bay'. The 'running costs' of the camera are obviously much more than what you can buy them for!
        1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

I remember the EOS 3 & 1V. Great cameras. I should have kept them as souvenirs but sold them!
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I've still got my spotmatic f in mint condition but I'll keep hold of it for a while, I was going to have a little go with it, glad I read this post.

Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by SheffSean View Post
              I've still got my spotmatic f in mint condition but I'll keep hold of it for a while, I was going to have a little go with it, glad I read this post.
              Interestingly, and this represents a slight shift in my own opinion over the last couple of years, I don't think film will ever disappear? There seems to be too much interest/trade in film bodies of all kinds on flea-bay to imagine a time when film would just become 'extinct'. There is lots of interest especially in the Canon FD system.
              I just think that like most other 'old' things I, and other people of my generation like such as vinyl and SACD, they will become niche markets.
              I just wish shooting film was a damn sight cheaper than it is! lol
              Still thinking whether or not I should flea-bay the 1V...??

Comment

I sold my A1 some time ago on flea bay for peanuts compared to what it cost new. I wish I had kept it as it had hardly been used much as the cost of D&P became so expensive but it would have been nice to have as a reminder of the good old days and the happy times spent in the darkroom.
                Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Aaahhh the smell of fixer in the dark
                  LOL

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    Aaahhh the smell of fixer in the dark
                    LOL
                    Now you're talking! I sold all my film cameras in the perpetual trade up, but I recently picked up my fathers old Canon - ashamed to say I cannot remember the model. I have now acquired some film and a battery (wot? not rechargeable?) and am going to play. But as this thread shows cost (plus substantial sunk investment!) will keep me in digital!!!

Richard
                    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Reminds me of Epson printing. Costs more for ink than it does to buy a printer. My Canon AE-1P died after just three rolls. Now it sits like a paperweight.
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

weirdly enough i was drooling over a two and a quarter square in a camera shop window at the weekend ,but to big an investment needed in enlarger d/room etc ah well

Comment

Keep thinking about getting some film and using my OM kit again. Would love two and quarter square but think costs might be too much.

Still have my darkroom stuff so it's always tempting.
                          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

If the internals of my 5D3 could have the outside look of my film camera, I'd die a happy man. The Nikon DF tried to be but failed with it being HUGE!! lol
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

I left it too late to get any financial return on my 35mm Canon gear so consequently have a wardrobe stuffed with old gear, a Canon A1 with 50mm f1.4, T90 with a Tamron 90mm macro, EOS 5 with 17,28,35, 35-135 and 400mm lenses, Mamiya C330s with 80mm and 55mm lens, and a mint Rolleiflex 3.5f Planer.l get them out once in a blue moon but have no interest in putting any film through them.

Comment

Working...
                              X