Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now I Know Why No-one Uses Film Anymore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Now I Know Why No-one Uses Film Anymore...

I recently picked up a Canon AV-1 with 50mm f1.8 lens from Freecycle and. It even came with a new battery and as I have a few rolls of film in the fridge (they're only about twenty years old) I've been thinking I may try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
      Aaahhh the smell of fixer in the dark
      LOL
      Its a wonder I don't glow in the dark !!
      When I was a physics student ( 45 years ago - long before H & S) we used to dip photographic film into liquid Uranium Nitrate solution ( with bare hand) and then develop the film to try and identify alpha emission tracks in the photographic emulsion - ahhhh - the good old days !
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wrinklyrocker View Post
        EOS 5 with 17,28,35, 35-135 and 400mm lenses,
        Daft question but would all of those lenses for the EOS 5 work on current bodies?
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
          Daft question but would all of those lenses for the EOS 5 work on current bodies?
          Not daft at all and the answer is yes. Furthermore they'll be red spotted EF lenses so fit any body both crop and FF. They'll also be a better build quality than current plastic lenses but won't be IS and probably have noisy auto-focus motors.

I still have all my old lenses from the eighties but, other than the 50mm 1.8, don't really use them anymore as I replaqced them with modern IS lenses with more (crop sensor) favourable focal lengths. Those 17mm and 400mm primes could be interesting though!

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Really sorry guys but my listing skills let me down badly, the 17,28,35 ,35-135 and 400 are all FD fittings, the EF lenses that l had for the EOS5 did get used on my first digital SLR.

Comment

Really sorry guys but my listing skills let me down badly, the 17,28,35 ,35-135 and 400 are all FD fittings, the EF lenses that l had for the EOS5 did get used on my first digital SLR.
              Well that's a pity but adaptors are available and may be worth it for that 400.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

I keep looking at Hasselblad's, miss my old 330 Mamiya. Thought of trying to find positive film and then scan the negs, if any good print 'em myself on my Kodak printer.
                Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

ah the c330 mamiyaflex coupled with a 180mm lens the days of fun in the sun ,and ye gods the blow up you could get from them negatives ,put digital to shame ,gone but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    ah the c330 mamiyaflex coupled with a 180mm lens the days of fun in the sun ,and ye gods the blow up you could get from them negatives ,put digital to shame ,gone but not forgotten
                    Agh, but could you follow a wayward gannet and rattle off 10fps and get most of them sharp Jeff, lovely camera and the staple of many a wedding and studio photographer and it did produce when big enlargements were required.... but I wouldnt go back

Gord

Comment

Now I know why I do......to slow down and breathe...compose. And like good home cooking, I develop my own film. Takes about 2 hours. If you cannot wait that long, there are meds for that..

Comment

I still have my all film cameras Canon AE1 Program, EOS 500n, EOS 3, . My sport is Rugby I would use a roll of 35 in first half and another roll of 36 in second half. Now digital I have been doing 500 frames per game that would be about 14 rolls of 36, and at the time it was £5.00 p & d at Jessops total of about £70.00 that would have been.
                        Last edited by F.S.P.; 02-01-2016, 14:13.
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                        Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                        Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

I shoot both film and digital. Digital is fast and "free". Though considering the price difference between my Canon 5D III and my Hassleblad purchased last year, I could pay for a lot of developing. I shoot mainly B&W film and process at home. Not to save money, but because I enjoy it. I love the construction and feel of the old cameras. I know it isn't for everyone. But some of us do still shoot film. If in doubt, view the activity over on APUG.org.

Comment

I left it too late to get any financial return on my 35mm Canon gear
                            Happily timed my change just right. Bought an Olympus OM-1 for £115 (6 months old, barely used, paid the dealer's p/ex price because he was a mate), sold it 20 years later for £100 to go DSLR
                            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Still have my EOS30 film body. Still enjoy using it occasionally and love the eye control focusing, sadly it is a feature that Canon never tried on a DSLR as far as I'm aware. Yes it took a little adjustment and some calibration but mine still works each time I use it.

But I do find using film quite difficult these days. But if you like shooting film you might like to try this little challenge with your DSLR.
                              1. Dig out a small CF card 32Mb will do... you know the ones gathering dust on the shelf!
                              2. This will restrict you to about 36 photos or less... if you choose a resolution accordingly.
                              3. You can only use one ISO setting.
                              4. You must turn off the screen preview.
                              5. You can't upload the photos to your computer for 3 days.

Now you can go a little further with this challenge by turning off auto focus unless your film SLR had it...
                              And that is fairly close to taking photos on a film SLR but using your DSLR and without the expense of processing.

Steve

Comment

I loved the eye control focus on my 50e, still have it somewhere. I also have a 32mb cf card but I think I'll pass on that, lol. My last days shoot admittedly I was playing more than usual but I shot almost 2000 frames. I'm shooting a 150 entry agility show tomorrow and quite possibly will double that. I don't think 32mb will cut it somehow, lol
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X