Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now I Know Why No-one Uses Film Anymore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Now I Know Why No-one Uses Film Anymore...

Don't need a 32mb card as I'd never go out without at least 4 or 5 rolls of film, and manual focus was a lot easier before autofocus because of split-screen and micro-prism focussing screens. Other than that, that's probably how I use my digital now!
    John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Although I love the immediacy of digital and the ability to email pictures to editors etc, I still try and shoot at least one roll of film a week on one of my many film cameras. This week it's the F-1N having it's turn and next week it will be the F-1n for a change. Shooting mainly B&W it's only a couple of hours work to end up with scannable negs or for colour print a 24 hour wait at the local camera store here in Bognor Regis.
      I have to admit even when out with a DSLR I still shoot like a film photographer, I've been on gigs where press toggers have been machine gunning the action while I click once or twice. Film taught us to anticipate what was about to happen not react to it.
      Don't get me wrong, for as long as I can lift my DSLR I will use it professionally and for leisure but I am certainly not abandoning film and from what I am hearing film use is gathering momentum with new film cameras about to be launched as well as new films.

Comment

Hi all - my first post on the EOS Forum and it's a shame it has to be on such a divisive subject. I converted to digital a long time ago now but, just lately, I just felt the urge to shoot some rolls of film; whether or not its a nostalgia thing, I'm not quite sure but, I do miss popping the cannister, taking out that nice 35mm cartridge, pulling the leader across then shutting the door and hearing the film whizz across till it stops ready for action :-) I even miss the sound of the film transport moving the film after each frame I shoot - whatever it is, I really dont want to see the end of film and film cameras!! Out came the RT, the 600 and the 10 - great!!!!

Digital vs analogue, the old long running conundrum of the pros & cons!! The trouble is, everything revolves around the economics vs viability - maybe the world would be a better place if quality and longevity was in the equation still.

I love digital but I still love film!!! I dont recall having to replace my £8 photo album every 3 years like a £50 HD or a few 50p DVD's because it/they have become corrupted................................. I'll leave it there !!!!!
        Last edited by ARTY-RT; 21-09-2016, 15:20.
        Sometimes, it's not about doing things right, its about doing the right thing !!!

Comment

Welcome Arty

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
            Welcome Arty

Cheers,
            John
            Thanks John !! Nice area of the country where you live - I'm down there a lot during the year visiting relatives
            Sometimes, it's not about doing things right, its about doing the right thing !!!

Comment

Welcome Arty to the forum. I still keep a film camera around with BW film loaded into it. Take it out once in a while, the have the film processed, then I scan the negatives into the computer.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                Welcome Arty to the forum. I still keep a film camera around with BW film loaded into it. Take it out once in a while, the have the film processed, then I scan the negatives into the computer.

Tom
                Hi Tom !! Thanks for the welcome all the way from the USA :-) My Great Grandfather used to live in PA, (I think it was Allegheny County Pittsburgh) he started a business doing iron work for horse bridles in the 1800's - its not there now though. :-)

Comment

I still have my EOS30 which I enjoy using every so often. Sure it’s hard work compared to digital and a bit expensive.

But if you want to try the equivalent of film but with a digital camera. Try this:

1. Take any digital camera, it doesn’t need to be anything current.
                  2. A small memory card for the above… one you wouldn’t even think of using these days.
                  3. Turn off review after taking a photo.
                  4. Fix your ISO speed
                  5. Take just 24 or 36 exposures.
                  6. Don’t download the photos for 2-3 days to ‘simulate’ sending off the film for processing.
                  7. Don’t use any editing software on your photos…. Get it right in-camera…

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Philofaxy View Post
                    I still have my EOS30 which I enjoy using every so often. Sure it’s hard work compared to digital and a bit expensive.

But if you want to try the equivalent of film but with a digital camera. Try this:

1. Take any digital camera, it doesn’t need to be anything current.
                    2. A small memory card for the above… one you wouldn’t even think of using these days.
                    3. Turn off review after taking a photo.
                    4. Fix your ISO speed
                    5. Take just 24 or 36 exposures.
                    6. Don’t download the photos for 2-3 days to ‘simulate’ sending off the film for processing.
                    7. Don’t use any editing software on your photos…. Get it right in-camera…

Enjoy!

I like this idea alot!

Comment

A friend of mine teaches photography and when the candidates turn up for his 12-week course resplendent with their shiny expensive digital cameras, he tells them to put them away and hands out some straightforward, non-autofocus film cameras and 3 rolls of Ilford Delta. They learn the basics that way, just like I did over 60 years ago.
                      Digital is great but being confident with the settings of your camera is still a skill worth having. I would hate not to have learned that skill and pride myself on being able to shoot 500 pictures and have only 2 or three that fail for a technical reason.
                      Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

There's a lot to be said for starting off with a basic camera as it makes the photographer consider composition and settings but the cost of film and processing (and the delay in getting the snaps back from Boots) is a deterrent to experimentation.

A digital camera, however, coming as it does with as many 'free' digital shots as you care to take, you really are able to experiment and immediately see the effect of different settings.

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

I have an Olympus OM1, excellent but I hardly use it now. I still have my dev kit, bulk film loader. It only becomes 'reasonable' when you buy bulk film, process it yourself and in my case use a film scanner and a computer, otherwise the cost is prohibitive.

I do prefer digital though!

Comment

I've lately started preferring some of the aesthetics of film over digital now.
                            For me, I find some images very appealing when they have a grain to them or are a little soft. Not every image needs to be clinically sharp in my opinion.

I've been shooting film for nearly 2 years now and I love the whole process of it and not knowing how it's turned out. However there is the downside of cost involved. I thought I'd get some film in the black Friday sales but most rolls aren't in it and whenever there is offers it's only 50p off per roll. It makes wanting to buy it difficult especially of you're wanting to try new rolls instead of the standard affordable kodak gold or Kentmere that's usually £5 per roll.

Maybe one day the market will change for film and some more affordable methods will be available....
                            ​​​​​

Comment

You can get bulk rolls (100 feet) of 35mm B&W for under £40.
                              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Having a camera that requires no batteries to function, setting film speed, aperture and shutter speed knowing the correlation between those functions takes me back to photography back in the day

I have a Canon 7 with the f.1.8 lens. The camera is I have to say a thing of beauty and a delight to use, as I started my photography over 50 years ago, using film and processing it myself is no chore and it does take me back, my preference is for B&W photography, the only difference is that now I scan my negatives into my computer for any post processing.

I am no luddite I use my Canon 5D and 5D mk IV mostly but I still just love waiting to see the negs when the wash is finished, it is not difficult and B&W film has such latitude you can not go far wrong.

Having used a Leica M3 I do say that the Canon 7 is a superior camera in all respects, in particular the steel shutter on the 7.

Remember this we know that film negatives will keep for over a century, if stored correctly can the same be said for digital images.

I took the photo below yesterday, I know it has grain, but any worse than 'noise'

cars # 11.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X