70D vs. 60D vs. t5i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70D vs. 60D vs. t5i

I'm looking to upgrade from my entry level sony dslr to a canon. Obviously photos are important to me, but I'm specifically looking for a dslr with great video capabilities also. The 70D is obviously the best choice out of the three, but its $400 more than the others. Is it REALLY worth spending that much more or will I get similar results with the others? It has the 19 AF points and great video autofocus (it's main selling point), I was wondering if I didn't have that extra cash, which should I take? What's my best option: pick one of those two or spend the extra cash?

Re: 70D vs. 60D vs. t5i

Hello perklax, and welcome to the forum...

Isn't the T5i one & the same as the 70D ?

Sadly I can't really help you, coz I don't do video. I do though have the 70D and can vouch for it being a great unit. Certainly all the write-ups I've read indicate that the video capability is way ahead of any of the other xxD range, and most of the xD range!

I always strive to purchase the best I can afford at any one time, and with technology marching on at a rapid rate, I'd much rather opt for the latest technology, given that it stacks up, and the 70D does, so my preference would be for the 70D on that basis alone.

Good luck...
    Cheers;
    Lee
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
    17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_User View Post

Isn't the T5i one & the same as the 70D ?
      No, The T5i is the 700D
      John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

I have a 70D and am very happy with it, although I don't do much video either.

It has a newer, more megapixel sensor than the other two options and also has "Dual Pixel" technology which is supposed to improve autofocus in live view/video mode. Like the T5i/700D is has a flip out, touchscreen LCD screen, which I find very useful, although others don't. The 60D does not. The 70D has a Digic 5+ processor, while the T5i is Digic 5 and the 60D Digic 4. This gives the 70D better processing and a higher fps rate then the other two.

Like the 60D, the 70D is aimed at a more advanced "Enthusiast" market than the T5i (although the T5i seems to be still highly regarded), so you'd expect a price differential between the two, and both the 60D and 700D are "older" products so you would expect to see these sold more cheaply.

Personally, I didn't upgrade my 30D until the 70D came out, as I saw not enough in the 40-60D to tempt me. The specs of the 70D changed my mind. I would say the choice is between the 70D and the T5i/700D (There is also a 750D), you need to handle them both in a camera shop to see which suits you. And if you think $400 is a big difference, it would have been a lot more if you'd bought one when it first came out! (As I know from experience!)
        Last edited by jk224; 12-08-2014, 15:26.
        John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum perklax.

I got the 70D in May and I am very pleased. I only upgraded from a 50D, which many might not consider worth it, but the way the new technology deals with high ISO speeds in particular has meant getting photographs that were just not possible with the 50D. I have "played" with the video and it produces some good results, much better than I expected.

There is always something else tempting if you part with more cash, so I would say set your budget and get the most up to date technology you can afford within it. That's the way I decided to do it anyway
          Andrew

Comment

What's your budget and what do you want from it? Don't forget lenses (plus a fairly expensive filter, see below).
            The best video camera that does stills too is the Panasonic GH4 (by a big margin, but it's not cheap, nor are the good lenses).
            The Sony A7s also shoots good video plus stills. It is even more expensive.
            The Sony fixed lens RX10 is good for video and stills, as is the Canon 5DmkIII.
            Of the camera you list the 70D is the best for video, it also has the best video auto-focus by some margin.
            Do note if you plan to shoot hand-held video rather than on a tripod you will want a stabilised lens.
            You will also want a decent (!) variable ND filter (e.g. Hoya, Genustech Eclipse or Heliopan) to fit the lens (with multiple lenses choose one to fit the biggest filter threads and buy step-up rings for the rest).

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! I'm only 19, so budgeting is important to me. I know that the 70D is superior, but to a college student, $400 is a big deal. I'm just trying to figure out if the t5i would suffice. This is true especially if I want to get another lens or so. I want to get the 50mm 1.8 and then the 18-135mm STM lens. I want to know if the t5i would produce similar images for video AND photos. I'm not HUGE into video yet, but I want to get into it, hence how I want great video for the price. I've talked to more experienced dslr video users and they say that manual focus is the way to go anyway, and the AF on the 70D is largely marketed by the great new AF. Just trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Comment

The quality of the camera obviously makes a difference, but the person using it makes a bigger difference. So set your budget and stick to it, then stop looking at equipment and make the most of what you have!
                Andrew

Comment

For manual focus to be useful focus peaking is very handy, which tends to lead you towards mirrorless cameras with EVFs or Compact Cameras.
                  (Focus peaking puts little coloured marks on stuff that has the best focus, so you can see them sweep across the scene as you turn the focus ring.)

The 70D AF is very useful as it has a touch-screen, so you can touch on a person you want to focus on, then touch a different person and it will smoothly shift focus between the two. That's very tricky to do manually without a follow focus attachment. I have a GH4 BTW.

You can get focus peaking on some Canon cameras by using Magic Lantern, which is alternate firmware (it's not replacement firmware, it loads from card and leaves the existing firmware alone). For video I'd look at what they have available for the models you are interested in.
                  Magic Lantern is a free firmware addon for Canon EOS DSLR cameras that adds a host of features to assist photographers and videographers. Unlock your Canon DSLR.

Supported cameras:

5D
                  5D Mark II
                  5D Mark III
                  Canon 6D
                  1100D / T3 / Kiss X50
                  500D / T1i / Kiss X3
                  550D / T2i / Kiss X4
                  600D / T3i / Kiss X5
                  650D / T4i
                  700D / T5i
                  100D / SL1
                  Canon 40D
                  50D
                  60D
                  7D
                  EOS M

I'd say if you don't go for the 70D then pick a Magic Lantern compatible model (worth checking the feature set, if it's a full release or beta, and if it's being actively developed).
                  Good luck,
                  John
                  Last edited by DrJon; 13-08-2014, 15:12.

Comment

Great advice! Thanks!

Comment

Sorry, that Wiki is out of date, get the supported cameras here:
                      Magic Lantern is a free firmware addon for Canon EOS DSLR cameras that adds a host of features to assist photographers and videographers. Unlock your Canon DSLR.

I'll fix my previous post.

Comment

Working...
                      X