Canon refurbished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon refurbished

I've been looking at buying the 70D, but it is a bit pricey for my budget. Canon sells the refurbished body for $140 less. Has anybody bought refurbished from canon before? If so, what has your experience been? Just wanted to get some more opinions before I pulled the trigger on it. They seem to back their refurbished products, just wanted to get some more opinions.

Re: Canon refurbished

I bought two refurbished lenses, when they arrived they looked and indeed were packaged like new.
    These were Canon refurbished from a reputable retailer.
    Refurbished means its been back to the manufacturer and had a careful inspection and testing by one of their engineers, so it should be as good as new in effect.
    Obviously I cannot guarantee your experience will match mine, but id have no qualms over getting a refurbished item from Canon again.
    Andy

Comment

I haven't bought cameras or lenses but their refurb printers you couldn't tell them from a new unit, I wouldn't have any reservation about buying from the Canon refurb site.

Comment

I bought a 600d on ebay from cannon refurbished store. It was like new when I got it, touch wood it has been fine for the last year I have been using it.
        EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

Several years ago I bought a refurb canon printer from there e/bay outlet ,it's still going strong

Comment

AS I understand it they come with a full Canon warranty, the same as supplied with new equipment, so there is little risk there.
            Quentin

Comment

I haven't used Canon refurbished, but I have used Apple refurbs for my last two computers (an iMac and a MacBook Pro). The only downside is that it's not the original packaging. Otherwise it's a fairly hefty saving on the full price and comes with a 1 year guarantee. I'd definitely consider Canon refurbs based on this experience.
              Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

I have bought 'refurbished'from canon outlet (ebay) . A EOS550 two years ago and this has been fine so far. The packaging had been opened and resealed by Canon. I had an Ixus three years ago . It was unopened and obviously new, box just a bit scuffed. On the basis of these experiences I would do the same again . But the shipping packaging is poor, camera retail outer box just delivered in a plastic bag, I guess the box designers do a good job or maybe Canon cameras are just tough ?!

Comment

I do remember when I purchased that printer I bought and paid for it late afternoon on Monday around tea time ,it turned up at 7.30 a.m on Tuesday via DHL .

Comment

This isn't strictly-speaking 'Canon refurbished', but I'd watch out for 'Amazon Warehouse' deals on Amazon.co.uk if you're after a new bit of kit? Amazon Warehouse is basically the stuff that people buy new from Amazon online, and then return to them within the return period (I think it's normally thirty days?) to satisfy distance selling legislation/regulations. Amazon then check it, re-box it and sell it as used, which it strictly is.
                    I bought my 16-35 from them, and couldn't have been more pleased. The lens was in absolute immaculate condition, even though the description only stated 'Very good' condition, and I saved a third on list/new price. And UNLIKE buying from some sellers on eBay, Amazon Warehouse offers a full, no-quibble 30-day money-back guarantee if you're not happy
                    1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Is it the norm for all Canon refurbished items to have a 12 months warranty or does this depend on the seller. I note that some give a 90 day parts and labour warranty although the equipment is refurbished by Canon and brought up to Canon Standards!
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I very much like the 70D - a very good camera at a sensible price.
                        Last edited by briansquibb; 13-11-2014, 22:25.
                        ef-r

Comment

Picked up a Powershot G9 from the Canon refurbished site on E-bay a few years ago. Packaging was OK and everything was there but the camera had been splashed with a sugar laden liquid (a drink?) so there were sticky patches all over it and the lens cover blades were also sticky and didn't shut when it retracted.

Most disappointing - that one had either missed the checking process totally or had been glanced at in a darkened room late on a Friday afternoon.

It went back immediately and I got a full refund soon after, but have never tried refurbished again. Good to hear that other folks have had better experiences though.

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by perklax View Post
                            I've been looking at buying the 70D, but it is a bit pricey for my budget. Canon sells the refurbished body for $140 less. Has anybody bought refurbished from canon before? If so, what has your experience been? Just wanted to get some more opinions before I pulled the trigger on it. They seem to back their refurbished products, just wanted to get some more opinions.
                            Basically it is the luck of the draw. Some members got cameras that were like new. And some cameras that lived a hard prior life.
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Comment

I haven't but a mate did and he got a deal deal on a camera - can't remember which, but I know the price was attractive...

I do wonder how the refurbished models stack up price wise against the grey market now ?
                              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
                              X