Lightroom veiwing focus points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom veiwing focus points

Just a heads up for people who use LR for editing purposes, I was made aware of a plugin which allows you to view the camera focus points (and the active point) when looking at raw files in LR. It's available for both Mac and PC.

I have downloaded it and checked it against Canon's "Digital Photo Professional" (DPP) software and can confirm that the plugin works works and is accurate. So it saves me having to open DPP to check which focus point was used and where it was in the image, not that I have issues hitting focus you understand

LINK
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Lightroom veiwing focus points

cheers Peter ....off to download ;o)
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Sounds interesting, I'll have to give that a look later on.
      Andy

Comment

Hi Peter; thanks for the heads-up... but... in all honesty, I find this tool almost useless.

For those who are unaware, what it tells you is which focus point was used; it won't tell you where in the image you focussed...

So, for example, if you use the centre focus point, focus & then re-compose, the centre-point will still light, but it will be in the middle of the image, whilst the actual point of focus will be elsewhere... It's OK I suppose if you never re-compose and frequently use points other than the centre-point, but be aware of its limitations...
        Cheers;
        Lee
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
        5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
        17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Thanks Peter, Raj
          Raj
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_User View Post
            Hi Peter; thanks for the heads-up... but... in all honesty, I find this tool almost useless.

For those who are unaware, what it tells you is which focus point was used; it won't tell you where in the image you focussed...

So, for example, if you use the centre focus point, focus & then re-compose, the centre-point will still light, but it will be in the middle of the image, whilst the actual point of focus will be elsewhere... It's OK I suppose if you never re-compose and frequently use points other than the centre-point, but be aware of its limitations...
            You're correct about the recompose issue Lee .

This is what the Plugin developer said "Note: If you have used the focus and recompose technique, the focus information shown will show the originally selected AF points (before the recomposition)."

I suspect that this is true of the Canon DPP software as well. But for me this plugin works. In addition I don't use the focus and recompose method in my photography. There are two reasons for that. The first is that when you do so the distance between the camera focal plane and the point you focused on has the potential to change impacting on focus. The second is that I find that the number of focus points available on my camera allows me to choose any of the off centre focus points to achieve focus without having to recompose an image.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Good tip, thank you.
              EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

Working...
              X