Female Chaffinch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Female Chaffinch

Hope I've identified this correctly. Handheld 40D, Sigma 150-500 at 500mm, f/6.3, 1/800sec. ISO 400

Re: Female Chaffinch

Identification looks right to me. Nice quality shot, but a little noise intruding in the background though, perhaps more than I would expect at ISO 400.

Just a thought, a friend of mine has the 150 - 500mm at it seems to give its best quality stopped down to f8.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Hello Colin, thanks for taking the time to comment. I think the noise is mostly because I've overdone the sharpening to compensate for Photobucket. It certainly looks better on my monitor without the extra sharpening added and even in a Picasa web album. You'll be right about f/8 but I was trying to keep the shutter speed as fast as possible because these little things never seem to keep still. Probably would have been better to up the ISO though. This is it in Picasaweb http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/fredds...29605046120786

Comment

Aaah, that's much better.

Here's a tip that may help:
        Do your normal sharpening, so it looks good on your screen.
        Crop it for Photobucket.
        Make a selection of only those parts to be sharpend and sharpen again.
        Upload to photobucket.

Hope that helps?

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin,

Did this just with extra sharpening around the eye, beak and breast using the adjustment brush in Lightroom 3 Beta 2. Also blurred the background by reducing clarity, just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Yeah, that's much better. Just sharpen what you need to and it works much better.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Working...
            X